Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

The problem is at my home, 106th and Quivira behind the hospital. This screen shot is as fast network speed I get. Glance

That's what you can expect on an active site connected to B25/B26..

Only exception is a B41 site

• Like 1

The problem is at my home, 106th and Quivira behind the hospital. This screen shot is as fast network speed I get. Glance

As David indicated, those speeds are in the average range for a 5 MHz FDD carrier.  They are perfectly usable.  But why are you concerned about LTE speeds at home?  You should be on Wi-Fi via your wired broadband.  And you are posting from an Everest IP address, so you do have wired broadband.  People unnecessarily running speed tests and using LTE in places (home, work, school) where they may have secure, fast Wi-Fi are contributing reasons why mobile data speeds slow down.

AJ

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have no idea if they are reasonable for LTE, my main point was, on average, friends and workers were getting 12, 15, 18 download from home and various spots in the metro and I was averaging 2 to 3, which is a big difference. Yes, I use WiFi at home, it would be foolish and a network hog to use carrier data if I don't have to. Maybe speeds will get even faster with the newest new network LTE Plus. 

I have no idea if they are reasonable for LTE, my main point was, on average, friends and workers were getting 12, 15, 18 download from home and various spots in the metro and I was averaging 2 to 3, which is a big difference. Yes, I use WiFi at home, it would be foolish and a network hog to use carrier data if I don't have to. Maybe speeds will get even faster with the newest new network LTE Plus. 

What phone are you using? 

What phone are you using? 

Yes, what handset are you using?  If it is still the HTC EVO 4G LTE listed under your phones/devices, then you are getting the expected average LTE speeds.  You have access to only one 5 MHz FDD band 25 carrier.  Others with more recent handsets have access to one 5 MHz FDD band 25 carrier, one 5 MHz FDD band 26 carrier, and two 20 MHz TDD band 41 carriers.  That makes a huge difference.

Additionally, your friends and coworkers could be using VZW, AT&T, or T-Mobile -- all of which have lower market share than Sprint in the Kansas City metro, all of which have different LTE bandwidth configurations, but all of which are greater than 5 MHz FDD.

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, I missed this in the Sprint press release:

As for public venues, in the past six months we upgraded the outdoor distributed antenna system in Lawrence, and we optimized our wireless systems in and around Kaufman Stadium (where RCR Wireless reports our network “reigns supreme”), Arrowhead Stadium, Sporting Park, and Sprint Center for even better coverage and data speeds.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprint-improves-its-network-as-competition-heats-up-in-kansas-city.htm

I know basically everything about the macro network in Lawrence.  But an outdoor DAS?  I am at a loss.  I do not know where that is, and S4GRU has no record of it.

AJ

• Like 1

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprint-improves-its-network-as-competition-heats-up-in-kansas-city.htm

I know basically everything about the macro network in Lawrence.  But an outdoor DAS?  I am at a loss.  I do not know where that is, and S4GRU has no record of it.

AJ

Would they be talking about the ku campus area?? I know it isn't downtown, I was downtown Lawrence for thanksgiving and was on band 26 and it was weak band 26 for most of it.

I know basically everything about the macro network in Lawrence. But an outdoor DAS? I am at a loss. I do not know where that is, and S4GRU has no record of it.

AJ

I assumed they meant the stadium/arena. They sure were vague. Now you know your mission. Find it!

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

I assumed they meant the stadium/arena. They sure were vague. Now you know your mission. Find it!

Downtown would be a good idea.  The current macro site location at the southern edge of downtown is not ideal in this high speed data day and age.  It shoots longitudinally down Massachusetts St through a lot of 100-150 year old masonry/brick buildings.  In building coverage on the north side of downtown relies a lot on band 26.  But as for a downtown DAS, we have no evidence of it.

So, it could be Memorial Stadium.  AT&T has a temporary or even permanent COW there.

It could be the KU campus.  KU Information Technology has an extensive outdoor Wi-Fi antenna network -- that probably is broadband enough to host band 41, too.  But I think I would have noticed that.  Plus, Sprint already is the only operator with an on campus macro site.

Maybe it is Rock Chalk Park -- the relatively new KU athletics development on the far west side of town.  It is about halfway between the urban macro site at Free State HS and the rural macro site south of Lecompton.  A DAS there could make sense.

AJ

• 5 weeks later...

Anybody getting slow speeds in kc metro Kansas side lately. I used to be able to get 120 down on CA sites. After moving to different areas with 2 different phones, getting 4 to 8 down and 10 up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Anybody getting slow speeds in kc metro Kansas side lately. I used to be able to get 120 down on CA sites. After moving to different areas with 2 different phones, getting 4 to 8 down and 10 up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I was on the Kansas side at Christmas and didn't notice anything unusual. Still getting between 50 and 100Mbps on most CA sites. Though, I was not running tests at every moment seeing as it was Christmas (and I don't run around doing speedtests anyway).

I thought i was getting throttled so i started checking.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Well, how much data do you use? If you're at 20+ GBs, it's quite possible you're seeing some network shaping. And if you're only checking when connected to one particular site, that could also explain it. 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, skid71 said:

@DkoellerwxSorry I haven't posted this sooner David.  I'm pretty sure this is my home tower; (South 7 Highway & Cowherd Road).  It's maybe 400 yards away.  If I'm connecting to another tower, I sure don't know where it is.

SCP screen.png

That is a site up to your north at Adam Dairy and Shamrock. I would expect to see a signal in the -90 - -80 dBm range if you were connecting to a B41 site 400 yards away. The site you are connecting to is also broadcasting 2xCA. However, since the signal is at the bottom end of the range, you probably won't see great speeds. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

That is a site up to your north at Adam Dairy and Shamrock. I would expect to see a signal in the -90 - -80 dBm range if you were connecting to a B41 site 400 yards away. The site you are connecting to is also broadcasting 2xCA. However, since the signal is at the bottom end of the range, you probably won't see great speeds. 

David,

You certainly are right, my home tower must not have B41.  B25 speeds on that tower are perfectly acceptable to me, if memory serves, it's usually between 8-20mbps.  It's pretty rare for our wifi to go out.  Anytime I'm out in the yard or neighborhood I'm able to stream/etc. without issue.  The different tower explains the low B41 signal strength.

Out of curiosity, would you expect the tower at 7 Highway & Cowherd to get B41 in the future?

Thanks as always for the knowledge.

• 5 months later...

B41 is now live in Collins, Lowry City and Clinton! Plus I found two new B41 deployments along I-49 and I-435 on the Missouri side (in Belton and KCMO respectively) that filled in previous weak gaps. These sites were B25/26 previously. I could not tell if they were Hexadecaport antennas or not, foggy and raining made it hard to see. 

I know the site at 87th and Lackman in Lenexa has new antennas on it. I could not get a good look. The site was previously B25/26 + Clear B41. Clear was still active so don't think they are finished. 

Sprint is really moving again, so keep your eyes peeled for new developments! Even in places you may not expect. I will be heading out I-70 tomorrow and expect to find some new B41. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1