Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

I have 6 bars right now -70 dBm 16 asu

At a Sprint corporate store my Photon had -65 while the EVO 4G LTE displayed -79

Anandtech review showed that the wifi is weak on the GSIII

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

I caved, I could not take the peer pressure. I circled into my local Sprint store. Bam, I walked out of there with a pre order receipt for a 32gb PB. My update is 7/1 so i figured it might make sense to earmark one so I don't have to chase one down. If they come in by then it will be sitting in the back with my name on it. I have to chuckle they put a corp store next to a tower that does a 1000+ ping and .02 mbs download. How they sell Any phones I'll never know.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Samsung frown? Who anticipates an order for 10,000,000 units of anything ? Their ability to recover will be the key. Think about it. How many phones could a company possibly make in a week? Not to mention get them from some factory to your door step. It would make for a great modern marvels show.

How I wish Sprint would send my handset !

I have all accessories and no phone.

I frown at Samsung for this!

They knew this would happen!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

At a Sprint corporate store my Photon had -65 while the EVO 4G LTE displayed -79

Im noticing this as well.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

While it is certainly possible that the Sprint GS3 wifi is weak.... it should be noted that the Anandtech review didn't cover the CDMA variant of the GS3.

1bar -101dbm

2bar -97dbm

This is what I have been averaging all day inside work.

4 bar -87dbm 4asu

5 bar -83dbm 4asu

6 bar -69dbm 16asu

Motorolas seem to have really good radios. I'll probably wait for the rumored Photon Q before I decide between the two.

It burns when I Tapatalk...

Cancelled my online BB preorder. Best buy still treats online preorders with lowest priority. Ill take my chances finding one in store next week or just wait for the next big thing

Sounds like what I did. I preordered the EVO with BB, but ended up just walking into the Sprint store to get my EVO instead of BB. My preorder came about 2-3 days after I already had the EVO.

5 bar -83dbm 4asu

6 bar -69dbm 16asu

Close enough for me, now if there are no bugs I am leaning way towards Sammy....I like the build and display of the EVO, with HD voice and all but two gig o ram and 1.9 FF camera gets at me......rofl. My problem is can I pre order when my upgrade isn't until 7/01/2012

Motorolas seem to have really good radios. I'll probably wait for the rumored Photon Q before I decide between the two.

It burns when I Tapatalk...

They seem to be offering that in a weird display 1179x720 or something like that. Also it may have a key pad....... that's a deal breaker for me now.....rofl. I couldn't live with out a key pad before my EVO, but after getting the EVO 4G I didn't miss it!

At the Sprint store you can pre order the S3 if your date is 7/1/2012. Its a $50 deposit. I'm year 13+ with sprint and utilizing my last Premier yearly upgrade. I tried to use the two week early up grade. That's gone. So this hopefully just reserves a s3 for me on the 1st. The store is supposed to hold it for 14 days then they can sell it. The manager was expecting the 32gb blue to "get in the distribution chain Tuesday or Wednesday. When they have one in hand, I was told I would get a call. But I suspect those are only 16GB phones. Who knows. I will just download the instruction manual and read it a couple of times. I think this gets me a pass to the head of the line When they come out and I don't have to chase one down.

Close enough for me, now if there are no bugs I am leaning way towards Sammy....I like the build and display of the EVO, with HD voice and all but two gig o ram and 1.9 FF camera gets at me......rofl. My problem is can I pre order when my upgrade isn't until 7/01/2012

At the Sprint store you can pre order the S3 if your date is 7/1/2012. Its a $50 deposit. I'm year 13+ with sprint and utilizing my last Premier yearly upgrade. I tried to use the two week early up grade. That's gone. So this hopefully just reserves a s3 for me on the 1st. The store is supposed to hold it for 14 days then they can sell it. The manager was expecting the 32gb blue to "get in the distribution chain Tuesday or Wednesday. When they have one in hand, I was told I would get a call. But I suspect those are only 16GB phones. Who knows. I will just download the instruction manual and read it a couple of times. I think this gets me a pass to the head of the line When they come out and I don't have to chase one down.

Thanks, I will do this since I have been with Sprint for 15 years my last upgrade like yours hangs in the wind here. Going to be a long wait between now and 2014, but I have the secret weapon, another line primed for an upgrade.rofl I'll just get the 16 mb and if needed I saw amazon selling 64gig sd for &20.00.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

Close enough for me' date=' now if there are no bugs I am leaning way towards Sammy....I like the build and display of the EVO, with HD voice and all but two gig o ram and 1.9 FF camera gets at me......rofl. My problem is can I pre order when my upgrade isn't until 7/01/2012[/quote']

Go to a Sprint Corporate store. With your upgrade date being that close they shouldnt give you any problems with an early upgrade at no additional cost. If they do, call customer service.

Maybe this should be a new thread but I will throw a few things I have noticed with the S3 at this time.

Bluetooth - No issue pairing or with signal, but when paired with my VoyagerPro HD, I have noticed that answering via the headset button actually hangs up the call. More to come on that one.

Optimizer WiFi/EVDO/LTE - I am so used to having a button for 4G on/off and that was removed. I like the auto network selection but I would prefer to be able to take control of LTE at least for testing (assuming you have a Network Vision/LTE groomed tower). If there is a way to do that, I haven't found it yet.

Lock Screen Options - Facial and Voice unlock features are a little flaky, however, the voice interpretation for typing seems to work extremely well compared to my Epic Touch.

EAS Native Client - Still doesn't have the functionality I need to use it. Reverted back to Touchdown

SmartStay - Works really well but varies depending on the angle and lighting

AllShare Play - Awesome

S-Beam - Works great, still comparing battery consumption of NFC

PIP - Excellent feature

TecTiles - Awesome but the standard app native to the device is not nearly as robust as some of the aftermarket ones available

GPS - Auto GPS is great and seems to work really well. I have not had any issue with the GPS not connecting like the Epic 4G

Motions - After you learn them all they seem to work very well, I am comparing to see how much power they are consuming

Battery - Excellent, after using the device for 7 hours straight, auto brightness, 2.5 hours of talk time, I had 30% left.

The one thing I would say is that I could not give this device to my wife without a training class. The touchwiz software is extremely robust but almost gives too many options for a standard consumer. Samsung should ship this device with a tutorial DVD.

Oh and the native ringtones suck. Like a spa day or rain forest theme, blows.

Edited by moto4sho
  • Like 1

Strange, I couldn't edit my post. I was going to add that I did confirm that the S3 comes in CDMA (evdo) mode stock. Your only option for enabling the LTE radio is to change in the mobile networks settings to CDMA/LTE. Then the optimizer will enable LTE when there is a signal present.

Funny the manual tells you to enable the CDMA/LTE mode when there is a signal present. Most people won't know unless maybe they are at home or work and test it. I'm wondering how much power is consumed by staying in CDMA/LTE mode at all times, hoping I might find an LTE signal. Feeback for Samsung/Sprint will be, " I want the option to control my 4G radio"

Strange, I couldn't edit my post. I was going to add that I did confirm that the S3 comes in CDMA (evdo) mode stock. Your only option for enabling the LTE radio is to change in the mobile networks settings to CDMA/LTE. Then the optimizer will enable LTE when there is a signal present.

Funny the manual tells you to enable the CDMA/LTE mode when there is a signal present. Most people won't know unless maybe they are at home or work and test it. I'm wondering how much power is consumed by staying in CDMA/LTE mode at all times, hoping I might find an LTE signal. Feeback for Samsung/Sprint will be, " I want the option to control my 4G radio"

I'm currently testing this today, but I also am running full screen brightness. I can tell you the battery life is better than expected. I could upload a screenshot of this, but to my surprise, Samsung still has not built in a stock way to capture a screen shot. And if they have, I have not found it yet.

I'm currently testing this today, but I also am running full screen brightness. I can tell you the battery life is better than expected. I could upload a screenshot of this, but to my surprise, Samsung still has not built in a stock way to capture a screen shot. And if they have, I have not found it yet.

Use the side of your hand and swipe left to right across the screen.

• Like 1

Strange' date=' I couldn't edit my post. I was going to add that I did confirm that the S3 comes in CDMA (evdo) mode stock. Your only option for enabling the LTE radio is to change in the mobile networks settings to CDMA/LTE. Then the optimizer will enable LTE when there is a signal present.

Funny the manual tells you to enable the CDMA/LTE mode when there is a signal present. Most people won't know unless maybe they are at home or work and test it. I'm wondering how much power is consumed by staying in CDMA/LTE mode at all times, hoping I might find an LTE signal. Feeback for Samsung/Sprint will be, " I want the option to control my 4G radio"[/quote']

I keep my EVO LTE and Galaxy Nexus in CDMA/LTE mode all the time. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life in either device staying in LTE mode. So I don't miss not having a 4G toggle...so far. If my GS3 32GB that is supposed to arrive next week is just as good in CDMA/LTE mode as these two devices, then I will keep that in 4G mode too.

As for editing posts, standard membership only allows post edits for 30 minutes after the post was originally submitted. Other member levels have more liberal editing allowances.

Welcome to S4GRU, by the way! :welc:

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I keep my EVO LTE and Galaxy Nexus in CDMA/LTE mode all the time. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life in either device staying in LTE mode. So I don't miss not having a 4G toggle...so far. If my GS3 32GB that is supposed to arrive next week is just as good in CDMA/LTE mode as these two devices, then I will keep that in 4G mode too.

As for editing posts, standard membership only allows post edits for 30 minutes after the post was originally submitted. Other member levels have more liberal editing allowances.

Welcome to S4GRU, by the way! :welc:

Thanks,

My thought is that as long as Sprint is blocking LTE from the groomed towers, there is really no reason not to stay in CDMA only mode (3G EVDO). The radio is the second largest power consumer on the device so I plan to keep it that way until Sprint launches LTE, but then again the battery life gain may be minimal.

Thanks' date='

My thought is that as long as Sprint is blocking LTE from the groomed towers, there is really no reason not to stay in CDMA only mode (3G EVDO). The radio is the second largest power consumer on the device so I plan to keep it that way until Sprint launches LTE, but then again the battery life gain may be minimal.[/quote']

The only disadvantage is possibly eHRPD connectivity sometimes brings faster speeds than EVDO, when the cause of the EVDO slow down is related to the MSC. Whereas the 4G core that eHRPD is connected to is free and clear and should not become a bottleneck for years.

eHRPD is disabled in CDMA only mode.