Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

BTW, I was just reviewing the FCC specs of this phone, which Robert published a few weeks ago.

Do I understand correctly that the FCC certification only covers LTE in the 1900 MHz band, so when Sprint starts converting the 800 Mhz band to LTE a year or so from now, these phones can't support that functionality?

(And ditto for the HTC EVO 4G LTE ?)

BTW' date=' I was just reviewing the FCC specs of this phone, which Robert published a few weeks ago.

Do I understand correctly that the FCC certification only covers LTE in the 1900 MHz band, so when Sprint starts converting the 800 Mhz band to LTE a year or so from now, these phones can't support that functionality?

(And ditto for the HTC EVO 4G LTE ?)

Correct. Phones supporting lte over 800mhz and 2600mhz are not expected until 2013.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

What was your screen-on time?

Doing some quick math, its about 5hrs 15min. Heavy Facebook, camera, e-mail, few games, checked MLB scores quite a bit, bike ride with the phone listening to music....

Almost makes me want a GSM carrier. This deal, the Google play deal on the GNex... Maybe by the time I am too old to care, all the carriers will have byod.

ForumRunner_20120626_235154.png

[ATTACH]83[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

I just checked my status 30 minutes ago and it still said backordered. However, I decided to check again before going to bed and the status changed to shipped and there is a tracking number.

I checked the tracking and my 32GB GS-III is sitting at the Louisville Airport. I hope UPS has a late night flight between Louisville and Albuquerque. However, I don't anticipate delivery until Thursday.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 4

It's nice to see they are finally delivering. I am considering getting a GS III in the coming months as I will have plenty of Pell Grant money left over after my tuition and books are paid for the fall Semester. And if I do get one, it'll definitely be Pebble Blue! :)

Woke up for my daily jog. And what a nice surprise !! Mine is out for delivery, guess something good can come out of being in Memphis, Tn lol.

• Like 3

Almost makes me want a GSM carrier. This deal, the Google play deal on the GNex... Maybe by the time I am too old to care, all the carriers will have byod.

ForumRunner_20120626_235154.png

[ATTACH]83[/ATTACH]

Ouch, $600? A little tough for me to swallow. I'm waiting to get my hands on one to play with, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend the money on it just yet.

• Like 1

Woke up for my daily jog. And what a nice surprise !! Mine is out for delivery' date=' guess something good can come out of being in Memphis, Tn lol.[/quote']

Maybe I've watched too much First 48, but I don't think I'd jog in Memphis, unless I had Caroline Mason on my security detail. :)

• Like 2

Mine is on a truck from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Looks like it will be delivered today. Yay!

• Like 3

Mine is on a truck from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Looks like it will be delivered today. Yay!

Now it says, Out for Delivery. That's pretty darn fast, seeing how it just was initially processed 8 hours ago in Louisville.

Robert

• Like 1

My tracking number posted sometime last night. My Choice (the basic version) says that I'll get the phone sometime between 9:45a and 1:45p. Yeah, I'm excited.

Quick note re: flights: your shipping carriers (UPS and FedEx included) operate banks of flights out of their hubs in the wee hours of the morning (around midnight to 4am) to get next-day air packages loser to their destinations. For example, the UPS flight that my phone was on departed Louisville (SDF) at 2:40a and arrived in Denver around two hours later. If my phone had missed that shipment, it would have probably gone on a plane to the same place an hour later.

Your phone was probably on 5X (UPS) 896, which didn't take off until 4:36a, and consequently didn't arrive into ABQ until just after 5a. But hey, your phone is probably out for delivery at this point, which is exciting :)

EDIT: As I said, out for delivery, lol. The wonders of modern air-based shipping systems.

• Like 4

Off-topic but I am always impressed by the breadth of knowledge that members here have. From wireless technologies to cell tower specs to shipping systems. It's great around here!

• Like 1

Off-topic but I am always impressed by the breadth of knowledge that members here have. From wireless technologies to cell tower specs to shipping systems. It's great around here!

Collectively, we make one helluva super nerd!

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Yeah, my wife works for FedEx, and she tells me about how the whole operation works and it is really amazing. Some things seem rediculous, but it really works for them. I think they changed it now, but before a package going from one place in a state to another place in the same state would still be routed through their main headquarters in Memphis and be able to make it to the destination the next day. No wonder shipping a package costs $100

Collectively, we make one helluva super nerd!

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Individually we are strong, but when we form like Voltron we are invincible!

• Like 2

I bought an upgrade off a neighbor down the street for AT&T. Getting my SGS3 tomorrow. Grand total of 300ish for buyout of upgrade and phone. Porting my Sprint number over to Straight Talk on GSM.

I could tell you more than you ever need to know about ups shipping and their systems than you ever wanted to know. Was in the trenches for many years there...

Their preload assist system combined with the driver mapping and vehicle monitoring is pretty sweet. Tells the guys exactly which truck to put it on, which shelf, and where at on each shelf. I am sure there are still many trucks running around with my shelf labels on them from my labelling program. The driver has a list of his stops in order on his delivery device along with the number of packages for each and their shelf location.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Yeah, I remember reading once that either FedEx or UPS had set up their drivers routing to minimize left turns in order to save time. They had found that waiting to cross traffic to make a left was costing each driver xx minutes per shift and that even though they may have to go a few blocks out of the way they would save time in the end. Not sure how the drivers liked it but I thought it was interesting.

Yeah, I remember reading once that either FedEx or UPS had set up their drivers routing to minimize left turns in order to save time. They had found that waiting to cross traffic to make a left was costing each driver xx minutes per shift and that even though they may have to go a few blocks out of the way they would save time in the end. Not sure how the drivers liked it but I thought it was interesting.

I always do my best to minimize left turns when running errands or driving around town. That makes a lot of sense.

It also saved them something like 3.1M gallons of fuel costs anually.....

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/07/10/right_turns_make_the_most_out_of_gas/

To whomever gets the 32GB-model: Can you post a screenshot of your storage screen? I want to prove/disprove that Android Central's review (http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii-review) is incorrect about internal storage partitioning. 12GB partitions make absolutely no sense.

Getting back on topic...MY PHONE HAS ARRIVED!

Okay, no more caps, I promise.

It came about an hour ago. Have it activated on my SERO Premium account...took a ten minute call including the virtually nonexistent hold time...and have been installing apps and playing with features since

I also took some unboxing photos, which I will share later.

One thing I noticed is that this hits higher upload speeds over EvDO than my Epic. Roughly a megabit per second to be exact. The tower I'm off of is not eHRPD enabled.

Anyway, I should get ForumRunner or TapTalk...posting this from Android Chrome is doable but not ideal :P

• Like 2