9erHater

The wife doesn't allow that kind of thing. I have to agree to sell or throw away old stuff before I can replace it.

This is why I am not married -- so I can be an A/V, computer, and mobile tech polygamist.

AJ

• Like 2

This is why I am not married -- so I can be an A/V' date=' computer, and mobile tech polygamist.

AJ[/quote']

LOL, she is right though. It will collect dust if I keep it.

Not to mention, I end up with more beer money by selling it.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

• Like 1

LOL, she is right though. It will collect dust if I keep it.

Is it inherently wrong if some things that you keep "collect dust"? Does your wife retain anything (e.g. wedding dress, old photos, etc.) that "collect dust"?

AJ

• Like 1

Is it inherently wrong if some things that you keep "collect dust"? Does your wife retain anything (e.g. wedding dress, old photos, etc.) that "collect dust"?

AJ

A happy wife = a happy life

She has a lot less stuff collecting dust than I do.

• Like 1

A happy wife = a happy life

She has a lot less stuff collecting dust than I do.

I simply reject the notion that women have a right/need to break men of our bad habits -- or even that collecting old electronics is necessarily a bad habit. My electronics are physical embodiments of one of my key interests. Anyone who tells me to get rid of them discounts my intellectual pursuits.

I had a girlfriend who took it upon herself to move some boxes in my house. In doing so, she damaged a 16-bit video game system that I had imported from Japan during my teenage years. I also loaned her a laptop that I rarely used any longer, and she proceeded to beat the hell out of it. Her attitude was basically that those things are "just old electronics." Needless to say, that went over like a lead balloon.

AJ

• Like 2

I simply reject the notion that women have a right/need to break men of our bad habits -- or even that collecting old electronics is necessarily a bad habit. My electronics are physical embodiments of one of my key interests. Anyone who tells me to get rid of them discounts my intellectual pursuits.

I had a girlfriend who took it upon herself to move some boxes in my house. In doing so, she damaged a 16-bit video game system that I had imported from Japan during my teenage years. I also loaned her a laptop that I rarely used any longer, and she proceeded to beat the hell out of it. Her attitude was basically that those things are "just old electronics." Needless to say, that went over like a lead balloon.

AJ

That would be unacceptable. My buddy had about every game system ever made and his (now ex) wife made him give away/sell almost all of them. He was scarred by that, I don't think he has any video games anymore. On the other hand, I know a guy who has 40+ arcade games filling his basement and garage. His wife asks nicely when he is planning on selling some so that she can park in the garage again...

I have some things that I refuse to give up, but something like the kindle fire or that blasted galaxy tab, I don't mind giving up.

Ah yes, the married life. The girlfriend and I are coming closer and closer to that moment, but I think she gets my quirks when it comes to technology, and respects it.

Back on topic though, I'm on the fence on this one...I don't think there is anything better in the 7" space at the moment.

Well it looks like I am not the only one dissapointed on the no sd card. I am going to buy the 16 gig and not worry about it. I don't really store a lot of media anyways. I was a little dissapointed in my new evo 4g lte advertising 16 gig when I found out only 2 were available for apps, but I got over it when I put a sd card in. I know they reserve alot of memory for system updates and other system requirements, thats why I think the base 8 gb model is a breaker for me. If you buy the 16 gb model it should have no more than the 8gb models needs for reserved space, and I should at least net the full extra 8gb.

Could...not...resist.

Ordered.

AJ

• Like 1

Has anyone heard definitively if this will support HDMI out via MHL? not that I use it much but it would be really nice since no developers care about making their apps compatible with Google TV. Google could just build google tv integration with other devices into Jelly Bean, that would be nice.

I was looking at the Acer Iconia Tab A110 and saw that it has a slightly lower res screen, but HDMI and microSD support. The developer following and google support is going to be MASSIVE for the Nexus 7 though. That is reason enough to buy it over any other tablet right now unless you want 10inch or 3G/4G connectivity.

Could...not...resist.

Ordered.

AJ

I am really fighting it... I don't think I will make it more than 1-2 days before I pull the trigger.

Has anyone heard definitively if this will support HDMI out via MHL? not that I use it much but it would be really nice since no developers care about making their apps compatible with Google TV. Google could just build google tv integration with other devices into Jelly Bean, that would be nice.

I was looking at the Acer Iconia Tab A110 and saw that it has a slightly lower res screen, but HDMI and microSD support. The developer following and google support is going to be MASSIVE for the Nexus 7 though. That is reason enough to buy it over any other tablet right now unless you want 10inch or 3G/4G connectivity.

I am really fighting it... I don't think I will make it more than 1-2 days before I pull the trigger.

Same with me. I'm trying to justify NOT buying it. But I can't find any real reason not too! The only arguement my wife would have is I'm getting the S3 here in a couple weeks also..

• Like 1

AnandTech mini review (including benchmarks) is up:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

AJ

• Like 1

AnandTech mini review (including benchmarks) is up:

http://www.anandtech...s-7-mini-review

AJ

I just read that review, and the Nexus 7 does NOT support Wireless-N at 5ghz, which makes me a sad Deval.

My house is surrounded by access points, all running 2.4ghz, so I have mine set at 5ghz.

Looks like I won't be buying the Nexus 7 if that is the case.

One way to work around the lack of SD support on this would be to get an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA/ref=pd_sim_cps_2 and use the app StickMount to be able to use thumb drives with the tablet. I use it on my GNex and it works great. Of course, you risk damaging your micro USB charging port if you aren't careful...

AJ, did you get the 8 or 16GB model? I haven't run out of space on my Kindle Fire, and $50 for an extra 8GB seems downright rediculous. Then again, 8GB total is rediculous. I wonder if there is something extra included on the 16GB model...HDMI? (doubt it)

Also, I saw a pic of pogo pins. Lets hope there are actually some accessories that can use them unlike the GNex

AJ, did you get the 8 or 16GB model?

Scott, I ordered the 8 GB without hesitation. And I am not concerned in the least about the lack of an SD card slot. I have never felt the need to carry with me the entire vault of Walt Disney Pictures and back catalog of Interscope Records everywhere I go.

AJ

• Like 1

Scott, I ordered the 8 GB without hesitation. And I am not concerned in the least about the lack of an SD card slot. I have never felt the need to carry with me the entire vault of Walt Disney Pictures and back catalog of Interscope Records everywhere I go.

AJ

The more storage you have, the more it gets filled up with garbage. I don't have a SD card on my Nexus and other than the ease of tossing the SD from my E4GT in there and not having to transfer everything through USB, I have not missed having a SD card. I especially don't miss when my SD card got corrupted and I lost everything on there... pictures videos etc. That was not a good time.

I think I am also going with the 8GB. I can always use an external flash frive for my complete collection of Walt Disney Pictures. My mouse is now hovering over the purchase button in google play...

Will Google Play be the only place to get the Nexus 7... or will it be in stores around the mid-July ship date? Trying to determine if I can avoid paying $15 in shipping.

I would sure think it will be in stores...

Will Google Play be the only place to get the Nexus 7... or will it be in stores around the mid-July ship date? Trying to determine if I can avoid paying $15 in shipping.

I would sure think it will be in stores...

The Nexus 7 is a very low (or even negative) profit margin tablet. Asus, of course, already gets its cut. There may be no margin left to give retailers -- at least, not on the 8 GB. Reports are that the 16 GB will be sold at retail in the UK. That could end up being the case here, too, since the 16 GB price seems to have a greater built in margin.

AJ

The Nexus 7 is a very low (or even negative) profit margin tablet. Asus, of course, already gets its cut. There may be no margin left to give retailers -- at least, not on the 8 GB. Reports are that the 16 GB will be sold at retail in the UK. That could end up being the case here, too, since the 16 GB price seems to have a greater built in margin.

AJ

True, could be like the Kindle Fire, initially it was only available from Amazon, but later offered through retail stores.