South Florida 4G LTE Rollout?

Fifth313ment

Hello,

I've been following the network.sprint.com site and just in the past year in South Florida there have been over 700+ upgrades to towers in my area (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) with another like 400+ planned! I've been taking screen grabs and adding them up. I know we are on the second tier LTE launch list but could they be doing the upgrades now? I mean I have noticed the speed on my 3G shoot up from unbearable to quite fast in the past 6 months or so. Also the speed of 3G on my new EVO LTE is about double+ of that on my OG EVO! So are these just a lot of 3G upgrades, normal maintenance, Network Vision or new LTE cabinets? When I choose other cities from the drop-down list they have a quarter of the updates that the towers in my area are getting except for say New York, lol. I've tried 4G LTE on my new EVO LTE with no luck. I remember that before the 4G Wimax launch down here in some areas I could get Wimax on one or two towers in certain locations so I thought they might test like last time. Thanks for any answers in advance.

5th :tu:

I've been really busy. Sorry for the late reply. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1010-roberts4gru-crazy-schedule/

Sprint's Network Site shows a six month rolling window of sites that are receiving capacity upgrades or additional T1 backhaul. These are not linked to Network Vision. More sites on that map is indicative of how bad the legacy network is in your area and has no bearing of Network Vision.

However, Network Vision is beginning in your market this month. Stay tuned to S4GRU for updates.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Oh, OK so those 700+ are indicative of how bad the network was and how they are working on it. Go it! Like I had said I used to really have slow slow, like 80Kbps down and 10Kbps up over like 50+ speed tests via 3G but now it is more like 800Kbps down and 600Kbps which IMHO is great! I wish they would work on signal penetration as signal areas still suck. Even when I can see a tower from like 400 yards away I still get just an OK signal. I always thought that site was part of network vision. In my area so many people have Boost mobile, Sprint and Virgin mobile it's crazy! I just wish I had a more solid answer on when we would get LTE. I wish they would install and turn on LTE towers when they put them in, instead of all at once but I can understand the need for testing, I just hate waiting, lol.

Thanks,

5th

I just wish I had a more solid answer on when we would get LTE. I wish they would install and turn on LTE towers when they put them in' date=' instead of all at once but I can understand the need for testing, I just hate waiting, lol.

Thanks,

5th[/quote']

LTE going live in your area on June 6th.

I'm going to get stoned for this.

• Like 1

Yes. And I may be first in line. :devilangel:

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

LTE going live in your area on June 6th.

Yes. And I may be first in line. :devilangel:

You guys are total trouble makers, lol!

Well it looks like NV has started in Miami...Saw the crew working on Sprint site in Homestead this afternoon. Appears that they are installing the new antennas, and the new cabinets on the base of the tower.... Yeah!!!1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

• Like 1

Well it looks like NV has started in Miami...Saw the crew working on Sprint site in Homestead this afternoon. Appears that they are installing the new antennas, and the new cabinets on the base of the tower.... Yeah!!

I can see them all. Looks like they are starting right on time. Where is this specific site? I would like to compare it to the schedule. Dothose trucks say Goff Wireless?

Robert

Zip Code is 33033 - South end of Miami-Dade County... cell site is off of SW 288 st (Biscayne Dr) and US1 via the network.sprint.com website... They may be starting down south first and working up north into Miami.... Dont know about the name of the contractor... couldnt get close enough since the main road is underconstruction... I''ll check tomorrow morning and see if they are still working there.... They do have alot of guys in the crew....

I can see them all. Looks like they are starting right on time. Where is this specific site? I would like to compare it to the schedule. Dothose trucks say Goff Wireless?

Robert

Hey Robert, how closely should the Orlando Market follow?

How do I find out about Tampa?

Hey Robert' date=' how closely should the Orlando Market follow?[/quote']

Pretty close. I'm starting a schedule update series for each market that I have a schedule for. First article posts in the morning.

• Like 1

Pretty close. I'm starting a schedule update series for each market that I have a schedule for. First article posts in the morning.

Outstanding! You must know about the Orlando Market! Exciting! lol. So does this mean I should get the SG3? lol

Outstanding! You must know about the Orlando Market! Exciting! lol. So does this mean I should get the SG3? lol

If you aren't tied to needing WiMax, I would go for it. Providing, of course, the SGS3 meets all your needs otherwise.

Robert

If you aren't tied to needing WiMax, I would go for it. Providing, of course, the SGS3 meets all your needs otherwise.

Robert

Well no Wimax in Winter Haven, FL lol. Well hope I can sell my E4GT tor a decent amount.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Will this just be posted on the wall?

Will this just be posted on the wall?

Yup. But the first article is delayed. It will either be tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Well it looks like NV has started in Miami...Saw the crew working on Sprint site in Homestead this afternoon. Appears that they are installing the new antennas, and the new cabinets on the base of the tower.... Yeah!!!

miami market? yes. miami city proper? no. being from florida.... homestead is quite a haul from miami. might as well be in cuba.

Yup. But the first article is delayed. It will either be tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Awesome thanks!

Well, I'm sure glad to see this, because it might explain why Sprint has been so completely dysfunctional for the past few days. I just drove to Orlando & back yesterday and today along the Turnpike, and was seeing 40-60kbps down and 400-600kbps up most of the way (not a typo). Yeah, after it became obvious that I couldn't even sustain a useful connection to Pandora, I spent the rest of the trip (with wimax and wi-fi disabled to prevent thrashing) running Speedtest over and over all the way home.

I'd say about 50-60% of the tests were about 200-250kbps down and 400-600kbps up, about 30% were 40-60kbps down and 400-600kbps up, about 10% (mostly Palm Beach county) failed at some point, and 4 or 5 spots threw me freakishly-fast EVDO results out of (seemingly) nowhere... like, 800-1500kbps down, and similar up (in fact, they were the only instance where uploads weren't 3-10 times faster than downloads). For anyone who's curious, the "freakishly-fast" spots were approximately:

West Palm Beach near Southern Blvd (on Tpk)

Somewhere around northern Boca (on Tpk)

Eastern Coral Springs (several miles outside the current 4G wimax footprint), on Sawgrass

Near Oakland Park Blvd on Sawgrass

Just south of Sunrise Blvd. on Sawgrass, heading into the big interchange.

Near Royal Palm Blvd. on 75 east of Weston.

Pembroke Pines, however, seems to be almost as bad of a mess tonight as Palm Beach County was. Wimax works flawlessly in my driveway and inside my house, but 3G can barely even finish Speedtest half the time, and is limping along at 40-60 down/400-600 up the rest of the time (I'm by the mall, in solid 4G wimax territory).

I didn't get aggressive about speedtest until tonight, but for a real-world example from yesterday, I bought two songs from Amazon mp3 shortly after getting on the Turnpike from Sawgrass. I was north of Port St. Lucie -- almost an hour later -- before they finished downloading... and I was actively "nursing them along" and cracking the whip behind Amazon to keep it trying over and over the whole time.

The local dysfunctionality of Sprint in South Florida was even more painfully obvious compared to how well Sprint worked once I was north of Kissimmee -- I had 4G (wimax) even in areas that looked about as urban as US-27 near I-75.

I was starting to get seriously worried before I saw this thread, and was starting to think that Sprint had just abandoned us to entropy -- not wanting to spend any money fixing something they were going to rip out and replace in a couple of months, and leaving their data network here to progressively deteriorate and fall apart in the meantime.

Edited by bitbang3r

Well, I'm sure glad to see this, because it might explain why Sprint has been so completely dysfunctional for the past few days. I just drove to Orlando & back yesterday and today along the Turnpike, and was seeing 40-60kbps down and 400-600kbps up most of the way (not a typo). Yeah, after it became obvious that I couldn't even sustain a useful connection to Pandora, I spent the rest of the trip (with wimax and wi-fi disabled to prevent thrashing) running Speedtest over and over all the way home.

I'd say about 50-60% of the tests were about 200-250kbps down and 400-600kbps up, about 30% were 40-60kbps down and 400-600kbps up, about 10% (mostly Palm Beach county) failed at some point, and 4 or 5 spots threw me freakishly-fast EVDO results out of (seemingly) nowhere... like, 800-1500kbps down, and similar up (in fact, they were the only instance where uploads weren't 3-10 times faster than downloads). For anyone who's curious, the "freakishly-fast" spots were approximately:

West Palm Beach near Southern Blvd (on Tpk)

Somewhere around northern Boca (on Tpk)

Eastern Coral Springs (several miles outside the current 4G wimax footprint), on Sawgrass

Near Oakland Park Blvd on Sawgrass

Just south of Sunrise Blvd. on Sawgrass, heading into the big interchange.

Near Royal Palm Blvd. on 75 east of Weston.

Pembroke Pines, however, seems to be almost as bad of a mess tonight as Palm Beach County was. Wimax works flawlessly in my driveway and inside my house, but 3G can barely even finish Speedtest half the time, and is limping along at 40-60 down/400-600 up the rest of the time (I'm by the mall, in solid 4G wimax territory).

I didn't get aggressive about speedtest until tonight, but for a real-world example from yesterday, I bought two songs from Amazon mp3 shortly after getting on the Turnpike from Sawgrass. I was north of Port St. Lucie -- almost an hour later -- before they finished downloading... and I was actively "nursing them along" and cracking the whip behind Amazon to keep it trying over and over the whole time.

The local dysfunctionality of Sprint in South Florida was even more painfully obvious compared to how well Sprint worked once I was north of Kissimmee -- I had 4G (wimax) even in areas that looked about as urban as US-27 near I-75.

I was starting to get seriously worried before I saw this thread, and was starting to think that Sprint had just abandoned us to entropy -- not wanting to spend any money fixing something they were going to rip out and replace in a couple of months, and leaving their data network here to progressively deteriorate and fall apart in the meantime.

Awesome. Thank you for this post! Makes me feel somewhat better. I just hope the Orlando Market NV/LTE is happening soon, I live in the central Florida area (Polk County) and can't even use speed test without it saying "Network Error", "Communication Failed". It didn't used to be like this up until a year ago, a lovely theme park named Legoland moved in and there is a Sprint tower on their property that is just horrendous! I've heard different things about the tower and what they're supposedly going to do with it but nothing as of yet! Please NV help us! Lol.