GS3 and 4G LTE

niv3d

So im really leaning towards getting the GS3. However I'm not up for an upgrade for another year. I'm considering doing sprints early buyout upgrade promotion(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1655591). But my question is. Would it be worth it to get the GS3 now? LTE I believe is slated for end of 2012 early 2013 in my area (Orlando, FL market). I currently own the E4GT.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Well, since neither Sprint or Samsung have announced when the GS3 will be coming to Sprint, I think you have some time to make that decision. From other threads around here it seems that it will be fall at the earliest, maybe later.

You have some time to think about it for sure. By then your upgrade buyout would be less and there could be other devices that might be coming soon.

Also I don't remember where I read it, it may have been here, but the quad-core processors right now aren't supporting LTE well(maybe at all). If I'm wrong on reading that please correct me.

Well the rumours for the US GS3 are actually June... http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-available-in-the-us-on-june-1-for-800-1081562

One of many rumors.

Also the only quad core GS3 in the states is apparently the ATT version

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Robert put some info about upcoming devices in this post:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-170-new-flagship-4g-lte-device-in-sprint-lenexa-labs-for-testing/

As you can see in the screenshot, Sprint's internal lab schedules show that the next two devices (which are still undisclosed at this time) won't be finished with Sprint lab testing until mid-August. Launch date for the data card is 9/16 and smartphone launch date is TDB.

A rumored June date for the Sprint GS3 just doesn't seem likely.

Isn't possible that the SGS III wouldn't be tested through Sprint's labs(like the iPhone)?

It is possible. But it would be a first. Previous Samsung devices have gone through the labs. To date, only the iPhone has not. But there is a first for everything, right?

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Sprint & Samsung might be purposely not releasing the GS3 until fall for a variety of reasons. First, Sprint would like to have the sales of the previously released phones to build, and not flood their customers with too many choices too quickly. They have worked very closely with HTC to make sure they had an EVO LTE that was really a superphone, and I'm sure they want it to sell well. They would like people to come over to sprint for the new EVO LTE now, then introduce the GS3 and gain another wave of customers. Secondly, If they want the GS3 to have the quad core processor (even though it might be redundant/overkill) to work with LTE, that is rumored to be upcoming in the fall. Thirdly, they might want to time it up so that it will release before/near the iPhone5 to take away some of the market share. (the last one would be a samsung idea, as sprint is deeply committed to the iPhone)

I believe if it is to be delayed these would be the most likely reasons, but do not cover all the reasons.

If the EVO LTE is making its way to market in the late May/June timeframe, and the next Jesus Phone is coming in October, it seems the next window for a new device would likely be July/August (about one year after the SGS2).

If the EVO LTE is making its way to market in the late May/June timeframe' date=' and the next Jesus Phone is coming in October, it seems the next window for a new device would likely be July/August (about one year after the SGS2).[/quote']

And about the time the first contract buyers of the OG Epic are starting to come off contract.

And about the time the first contract buyers of the OG Epic are starting to come off contract.

I'm using a OG epic and my contract is actually up on 6/1. I bought it they day it came out.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using a OG epic and my contract is actually up on 6/1. I bought it they day it came out.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

With no keyboard equipped phones to go to :(

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

If there are more than 5 people in line for a smart phone I will not be joining them. No matter how much I like the device.

no offense, but people who wait in lines to buy a phone (especially those sheep going from their iphone4 to an iphone4s!) should repeat the following....

i

am

sofa

king

we

todd

did

no offense, but people who wait in lines to buy a phone (especially those sheep going from their iphone4 to an iphone4s!) should repeat the following....

i

am

sofa

king

we

todd

did

I said it, but all that happened is the dog looked at me, tilted her head slightly and walked away. Is it supposed to give me patience to wait in line longer? Should I repeat it while waiting in line? :lol:

• Like 1

I said it, but all that happened is the dog looked at me, tilted her head slightly and walked away. Is it supposed to give me patience to wait in line longer? Should I repeat it while waiting in line? :lol:

Yep...but do it while whipping the dog with an iPhone cable

BTW, isn't Samsung the one making fun of the iPhone people for waiting in line in their own commercials? Is it subliminal envy that they'd love to have people lined up for their phones too??

• Like 1

Yep...but do it while whipping the dog with an iPhone cable

BTW' date=' isn't Samsung the one making fun of the iPhone people for waiting in line in their own commercials? Is it subliminal envy that they'd love to have people lined up for their phones too??[/quote']

I'm sure they wouldn't mind in the least.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• 1 month later...

I've become addicted to having each Galaxy S variant for Sprint.

I line

I've become addicted to having each Galaxy S variant for Sprint.

If I had yearly upgrades instead of the standard two years, I probably would have ended up with an E4GT. Or maybe a Photon...who knows. Seems like I like to stick with phones in the same series though...my HTC Touch Pro (6850 I think) replaced the Mogul (6700) and now my GSIII has replaced a Galaxy S variant. Yeah, Samsung had me at AMOLED.

I line

If I had yearly upgrades instead of the standard two years, I probably would have ended up with an E4GT. Or maybe a Photon...who knows. Seems like I like to stick with phones in the same series though...my HTC Touch Pro (6850 I think) replaced the Mogul (6700) and now my GSIII has replaced a Galaxy S variant. Yeah, Samsung had me at AMOLED.

I got my E4GT through a themer who was switching to Verizon. Got it for about the same price as an upgrade.

I line

The mogul was the 6800, the apache was the 6700 which I still have to this day and it works pretty well. I really loved my apache.