Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Hopefully. All these people in the Boston market with live signals are making me jealous! I keep having dreams I have the 4G icon on my phone lol.

You'll have it soon enough if you live in Massachusetts, in which case I'm more jealous of you.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Waking up to a 3G signal is very disappointing ha.

yeah but waking up to CDMA eHRPD is a big sign that LTE is on its way i think. I have it all around Boston and even in Needham where i work right now. Weird thing is that Pandora doesnt work when connected to eHRPD.

I was getting an eHRPD signal all around Haverhill, Methuen, Lawrence for weeks, Last few days only EVDO rev A. A sign of anything in particular?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by xdalaw

Waking up to a 3G signal is very disappointing ha.

When I met her in the bar the night before, she looked to me like a 4G. But when I woke up next to her in the morning, she was definitely only a 3G.

AJ

• Like 9

I was getting an eHRPD signal all around Haverhill, Methuen, Lawrence for weeks, Last few days only EVDO rev A. A sign of anything in particular?

This seems to happen a lot in all the markets where deployment is occurring. It's probably nothing to be concerned about. It always seems to come back.

Robert

• Like 2

You try toggling from CDMA to CDMA/LTE? I lose eHRPD but can get it by toggling.

When I met her in the bar the night before, she looked to me like a 4G. But when I woke up next to her in the morning, she was definitely only a 3G.

AJ

Those RF goggles will do that man.

Hey guys, apparently Boston is getting a taste of some early LTE sightings. I would not necessarily classify this as a "goes live ahead of schedule category" but more of a few testing towers/deployed towers in an unannounced market. I just thought I would share this with the forum and our fellow readers in the Boston area! Have fun with the higher speeds!

Patrick

http://www.phonearen...chedule_id33146

It amuses me to see how these other sites report on things that we been talking about for weeks here on s4gru.

• Like 2

Have you noticed this phenomenon at several eHRPD sites? Its possible they are limiting core traffic as they are getting things online. With switches, each site was only connected to its dedicated switch. But with eHRPD and LTE, the network is dynamic. Each site can be routed to several different cores based on traffic. Its possible since only a handful of cores are complete and ready now, maybe they are limiting traffic? I don't know. Interesting.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Probably old news, but I did go back to the quincy market site which has new NV gear... this time, it seems like nice backhaul was hooked up because I was flying at over 2.4mbit/sec at 6pm.

Anyway, same exact speeds I saw with legacy tower at home. EVDO REV A can do over 2.4mbit no problem. eHRPD will start at over 2mbit, jump around, and settle around 1850 or so.

While we can only speculate, it seems like they do throttle speeds for the greater good of the network (maybe just for now, maybe perm) - at least with AL equipment.

I dont think this is bad by any means - I think it's a very good thing.

• Like 2

Was at the Sylvan Street Grill in Danvers, MA this afternoon and saw the 4g indicator on my Galaxy S 3. Speed test shown...Battery was at 38% when started, and within an hour was in high 20s. Hope that is not typical battery drain from 4g. I did check several websites and they loaded as fast as my home wifi.

post-3878-0-99545300-1344729222_thumb.png

• Like 1

Was at the Sylvan Street Grill in Danvers' date=' MA this afternoon and saw the 4g indicator on my Galaxy S 3. Speed test shown...Battery was at 38% when started, and within an hour was in high 20s. Hope that is not typical battery drain from 4g. I did check several websites and they loaded as fast as my home wifi.[/quote']

How much were you using the phone? 10% per hour would be really good if the whole hour was spent running speed tests with the screen never shutting off, but pretty poor if it was spent in a pocket with the screen off.

Sent with AOSP JB Toro on Forum Runner

• Like 1

I did 3 speed tests, loaded several websites, sent a couple of emails, did some reading, so the screen was on for about 15-20 minutes. That's heavier than my normal usage.

Time will tell how the battery handles 4G LTE.

• Like 1

AJ

Those RF goggles will do that man.

You guys stole my thunder! lol.

I was in Wilmington today on rt 38 and from the commuter rail station to the cumby's I got 4g. If I stayed in one spot too long it would cut off and return to 3g. Speed test showed 8mb up and 7mb down on average. When I would get a 4g singal, i would have full bars, when it went down to 3g I would only get 2 bars.

Hopefully this is a sign of launch coming soon.

Edited by Mike014

^I assume you're talking about the Cumberland Farms at rt 129. I'm surprised the signal stopped at the commuter rail station, since the tower is south of there. If the tower has so little downtilt that you can't get a signal within a .5 mile radius, I would hope that the signal would at least propegate further than that.

It may have lasted longer. I was stopped at the light and that was the last place I checked before I hit Burlington. I was just happy to finally see 4g on my phone.

^I assume you're talking about the Cumberland Farms at rt 129. I'm surprised the signal stopped at the commuter rail station, since the tower is south of there. If the tower has so little downtilt that you can't get a signal within a .5 mile radius, I would hope that the signal would at least propegate further than that.

I think they have been testing the tower north of that too, the not-so-hidden one on Rt. 38 in front of the South Tewksbury fire station.

If it was coming from the "flagpole", I would hope the signal would go further north than Cumberland Farms.

It may have lasted longer. I was stopped at the light and that was the last place I checked before I hit Burlington. I was just happy to finally see 4g on my phone.

Interesting. Sounds like there's either another tower that is testing that isn't on the list, or you were connected to the tower near the station but only one sector is operating.

If it was coming from the "flagpole", I would hope the signal would go further north than Cumberland Farms.

Yep, that tower. I would imagine so as well, but wouldn't worry about it right now. From what I have experienced with LTE locally myself, and read about others' LTE experiences elsewhere in the country, all bets are off during the testing phase. They are actively tweaking and configuring so things (i.e. coverage, availability) seem to change by the hour.