Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Could you tell if they are tri-band antennas?

I'm terrible at identifying equipment.. does my photo show anything helpful? I wouldn't even try to guess which rack is Sprint. I've studied the "How to identify" posts and I'm still bad at it [emoji1]

-Mike

This site is still in progress.. Hopefully LTE goes live soon..

Could you tell if they are tri-band antennas?

B25 is live as of this morning! I spent quite a bit of time in the area testing and looking for indications of B26 or B41, but it appears to be B25 only at this point.

-Mike

I'm terrible at identifying equipment.. does my photo show anything helpful? I wouldn't even try to guess which rack is Sprint. I've studied the "How to identify" posts and I'm still bad at it [emoji1]

-Mike

B25 is live as of this morning! I spent quite a bit of time in the area testing and looking for indications of B26 or B41, but it appears to be B25 only at this point.

-Mike

I keep forget to reply! Whoops! 

The best way to distinguish between dual-band and tri-band antennas is the number of RRUs. If there are 3 RRUs, then there's a 99% probability that you've got a tri-band antenna up there. I can't really make out the RRUs in that image, and it's possible they aren't all mounted at the top of the pole. The other way would be to get a good look at the bottom of the antenna. A tri-band antenna would have 10 RF ports, while a dual-band antenna would have 6. 

I keep forget to reply! Whoops! 

The best way to distinguish between dual-band and tri-band antennas is the number of RRUs. If there are 3 RRUs, then there's a 99% probability that you've got a tri-band antenna up there. I can't really make out the RRUs in that image, and it's possible they aren't all mounted at the top of the pole. The other way would be to get a good look at the bottom of the antenna. A tri-band antenna would have 10 RF ports, while a dual-band antenna would have 6. 

In Alcatel-Lucent land high capacity PCS sites predominately still use RF combiners for 2 PCS radios to a single antenna. 

If I have a chance this weekend, I'll get back over there with a decent camera and see if there's any equipment outside of the building at the base of the pole. I'm intrigued because nearly all of the sites in that area received their equipment upgrades a long time ago. This site and another nearby (mounted on a high-tension powerline support, which is rare around here) were the only exceptions.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I'm up in the North Shore area of MA (specifically Beverly).  I've got a WiMAX hotspot that was able to see the tower nearby yesterday.  Today, finally, it's unable to find any tower with WiMAX! I'm hoping to post a screen shot from the SignalCheck app when B41 goes live.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/20160925/proposal-for-small-cell-towers-across-fall-river-draws-concerns

This popped up in muh feed. Maybe you cats could use the info.

Small cells being negotiated in Fall River.

That's pretty annoying. In the meantime they can come up here to Boston and do small cells here for added density.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Drove around Boston today and noticed VZW small cells in some of the more suburban areas of Boston and Brighton as well as in Cambridge. While they weren't stealth setups like the ones in NYC are, they still weren't that easy to spot and often times I'd just notice it by seeing more wires than usual on the telephone polls. 

I'm uncertain whether Sprint has started deploying small cells widely in the Greater Boston area but they could certainly use it in places like Newton where site density isn't the greatest even though speeds are more than adequate.

Drove around Boston today and noticed VZW small cells in some of the more suburban areas of Boston and Brighton as well as in Cambridge. While they weren't stealth setups like the ones in NYC are, they still weren't that easy to spot and often times I'd just notice it by seeing more wires than usual on the telephone polls. 

I'm uncertain whether Sprint has started deploying small cells widely in the Greater Boston area but they could certainly use it in places like Newton where site density isn't the greatest even though speeds are more than adequate.

VZW small cells around here (Baltimore) follow a similar pattern, more suburban areas and inconspicuous but not stealth.

• 3 months later...

I'm amazed at how Sprint manages to provide high speeds on a single 5x5 Band 25 carrier on my campus. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2561983959

Even later at night, speeds get up to 20+ Mbps. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2565036925

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've been spotting small cells a lot more in Boston. So far no Sprint, all VZW. In the more dense, urban areas they look similar to small cells in NYC.

I saw one on Newbury Street that was really weird in that the base of a light pole was huge and about 4 feet tall to hold a ton of equipment.

Then the ones in suburban areas look like the first pics we saw from the Miami small cells with all of the equipment exposed on the light pole and an obvious antenna sticking out on top.

How do you know they are verizon? Verizon phone with signal very strong or sticker on the pole? Any addresses?

Very strong signal on VZW from friends but I could be wrong and it could be AT&T. There was one at Newbury and Clarendon St. There's also one at the intersection of Harvard Ave and Commonwealth Avenue.

Very strong signal on VZW from friends but I could be wrong and it could be AT&T. There was one at Newbury and Clarendon St. There's also one at the intersection of Harvard Ave and Commonwealth Avenue.

The ones up and down Newbury are VZW/AT&T.

The new DAS nodes all over BU are neutral-host, but are active on Verizon now.

Last I checked, the ones right by Harvard/Comm are remnants from MetroPCS, now upgraded to LTE.

AT&T and Verizon users have strong signal right by the Harvard/Comm from a cell site near Brainerd/Harvard.

Here's a list:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1892251-DAS-Small-cell-map-of-Boston-Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones up and down Newbury are VZW/AT&T.

The new DAS nodes all over BU are neutral-host, but are active on Verizon now.

Last I checked, the ones right by Harvard/Comm are remnants from MetroPCS, now upgraded to LTE.

AT&T and Verizon users have strong signal right by the Harvard/Comm from a cell site near Brainerd/Harvard.

Here's a list:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1892251-DAS-Small-cell-map-of-Boston-Massachusetts

I figured the one on Harvard Ave was a T-Mobile one considering there is a T-Mobile store nearby. I just didn't have a phone to test with. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did some testing at the Sprint store on Harvard Ave in Brookline

Sprint panels pointing towards the store

HTC Bolt

LG G6

Verizon 3xCA inside the Sprint store

Could Sprint be that much more congested than Verizon? Does Sprint have that many more customers than Verizon. I believe Verizon most likely has 40 to 55 mhz of spectrum with 3xCA, while Sprint only has 40 mhz with 2xCA at the moment. Sprint also has 10 to 15 mhz additional spectrum not available with B41. You would think Sprint would be in the lead with less subscribers and equal or more spectrum available.. I guess it could also be cell density. Maybe you're too close to the cell.

Could Sprint be that much more congested than Verizon? Does Sprint have that many more customers than Verizon. I believe Verizon most likely has 40 to 55 mhz of spectrum with 3xCA, while Sprint only has 40 mhz with 2xCA at the moment. Sprint also has 10 to 15 mhz additional spectrum not available with B41. You would think Sprint would be in the lead with less subscribers and equal or more spectrum available.. I guess it could also be cell density. Maybe you're too close to the cell.

Verizon has 10x10 B13, 10x10 B2 (soon to be 15x15), and 20x20 B4 in this market.

I would say 95% of people in this area are AT&T and Verizon customers. Both consistently see 75+ mbps in Coolidge Corner these days..

Verizon has 10x10 B13, 10x10 B2 (soon to be 15x15), and 20x20 B4 in this market.

I would say 95% of people in this area are AT&T and Verizon customers. Both consistently see 75+ mbps in Coolidge Corner these days..

I would guess its either site density or backhaul issues than. If it doesn't improve much when 3xCA is rolled out in Boston than I would guess its backhaul. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did some testing at the Sprint store on Harvard Ave in Brookline

Sprint panels pointing towards the store
3t9ifVu.jpg?1

HTC Bolt
A3N0xWo.jpg?2

LG G6
tx3oknE.jpg?2

Verizon 3xCA inside the Sprint store
cUk6keB.png?1

Thank you for posting this. I have a sprint SERO plan for $50 including a subsidized phone, but given the screen shots above you took, I think it may be worth giving up on sprint despite the sprint subsidized phone included at that rate. Going to Verizon's unlimited would be big jump in price, but xfinity mobile seems like an option (as much as I hate comcast, I'll be stuck with them @ JP). Thinking I'll wait for a while until xfinity mobile allows me to bring my own device though. 

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this. I have a sprint SERO plan for $50 including a subsidized phone, but given the screen shots above you took, I think it may be worth giving up on sprint despite the sprint subsidized phone included at that rate. Going to Verizon's unlimited would be big jump in price, but xfinity mobile seems like an option (as much as I hate comcast, I'll be stuck with them @ JP). Thinking I'll wait for a while until xfinity mobile allows me to bring my own device though.

Are you also from the area?

Verizon has so many oDAS nodes all over Jamaica Plain, Brookline, Chestnut Hill, Newton, West Roxbury, etc

Edited by WiseGuy321