Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Canada Goose, Bean Boots...

Bean Boots?  Really, those duck looking things?  We had a utility pair of those in my family almost 30 years ago.  I think we even got them at the flagship store in Freeport.

The official uniform of Boston College.

Along those lines, I recall about a decade ago a student quipped to our campus newspaper that the school should be renamed University of The North Face.

AJ

• Like 2

Bean Boots?  Really, those duck looking things?  We had a utility pair of those in my family almost 30 years ago.  I think we even got them at the flagship store in Freeport.

Along those lines, I recall about a decade ago a student quipped to our campus newspaper that the school should be renamed University of The North Face.

AJ

North Face? It is ALL about the Patagonia and Barbour now.  :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

What I've noticed here in Boston is that in the suburbs Band 25 is faster than Band 26 but in the city, the opposite is true. In the suburbs, because site density isn't the greatest more people are shoved onto Band 26. Sometimes the network switches me over to Band 25 but even the signal is much weaker the speed is twice that of Band 26.

For example: My phone had a -100dbm signal on Band 26 and was giving me 4Mbps down at most. When my phone switched over to Band 25 in the same location the signal was -109dbm and I was getting nearly 10Mbps.

I'm out in the far far west of MA and noticed a new LTE signal today at the High School in Great Barrington, MA. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone was interested.

Still "patiently" waiting in Pittsfield, MA.

I'll see if I can map it tomorrow with sensorly. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those that follow the Boston Marathon - Verizon/AT&T set up some COWs.

The AT&T COW looks pretty legit.

Unfortunately, no Sprint COWs to be seen.

Holy cow, that ATT COW is literally the size of multiple cows...

Holy cow, that ATT COW is literally the size of multiple cows...

I know.  Verizon looks pretty weak sauce in comparison.

I like big cows and I cannot lie!

It's a good opportunity for Sprint to really demonstrate B41 CA. 

For those that follow the Boston Marathon - Verizon/AT&T set up some COWs.

The AT&T COW looks pretty legit.

Unfortunately, no Sprint COWs to be seen.

I've never seen a Sprint CoW in Boston. Verizon and AT&T are at every big event, and T-Mobile is at quite a few as well, but not Sprint.

I've never seen a Sprint CoW in Boston. Verizon and AT&T are at every big event, and T-Mobile is at quite a few as well, but not Sprint.

I've seen Sprint trucks along Memorial Drive a couple of times, I believe it was for the Head of the Charles and the 4th. I would certainly expect to see some for Monday.. perhaps they're stuck in traffic..

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

There's a surprisingly large amount of 8T8R throughout the Boston area. In Brookline, Beacon Hill, and Somerville I connected 8T8R sites. I ran a speed test in Brookline that gave me 25 down and 15 up which was really good. I'm glad to see it spreading very quickly.

• Like 2

There's a surprisingly large amount of 8T8R throughout the Boston area. In Brookline, Beacon Hill, and Somerville I connected 8T8R sites. I ran a speed test in Brookline that gave me 25 down and 15 up which was really good. I'm glad to see it spreading very quickly.

Why is it surprising? It seems above average compared nationally, but seems roughly on par with other NV 1.0 first round markets to me. I agree that it is widespread though. Life is good.

-Mike

• Like 1

Why is it surprising? It seems above average compared nationally, but seems roughly on par with other NV 1.0 first round markets to me. I agree that it is widespread though. Life is good.

-Mike

Because I haven't really been checking SCP a lot recently but when I did this time around, it was a lot more than I had originally thought. People on this site make it seem like Samsung is the only one making progress but AlcaLu has been doing a great job too.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've seen Sprint trucks along Memorial Drive a couple of times, I believe it was for the Head of the Charles and the 4th. I would certainly expect to see some for Monday.. perhaps they're stuck in traffic..

-Mike

I'm on Memorial Drive almost every year for the fourth and I've never see a Sprint truck, just AT&T and T-Mobile, but I didn't go in 2014.

• 3 months later...

Sort of a dead market but I picked up CA for the first time in Dedham, MA.

Not a good signal but I was getting speeds of over 40mbit. Very slick!

Hopefully more CA to come!

What do you mean by dead?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

People don't post here regularly.

True. How is everyone liking the coverage so far in the Boston area? I mostly get 4g everywhere I go so far. I wish NV would improve the indoor coverage of my parents place in Braintree.

True. How is everyone liking the coverage so far in the Boston area? I mostly get 4g everywhere I go so far. I wish NV would improve the indoor coverage of my parents place in Braintree.

Pretty much LTE everywhere in the Boston metro. In Chestnut Hill, I'm on B25 and pulling speeds in the mid teens indoors. Meanwhile, my friend's LG G4 on T-Mobile is on B4 and pulling 4Mbps indoors. BC's campus is strong for Sprint.

The coverage is good for the most part.  Speeds are hit or miss.

It really improves when you find unloaded cells in more suburban locations but downtown and around downtown it's tough.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally use my phone in the Worcester/Boxborough/Boston route. I am always getting crappy upload speeds. No matter where I go I can't get above 5mb/s. Its always at .5 to 3 90% of the time. Is spark this slow? I am using a brand new note 5 and thought the upload would be a bit better than this. 3g is completely unusable other than making a phone call. Is anyone else getting poor upload speeds? The signal bar bounces like crazy at times. Using Tapatalk takes 3+ seconds for a simple post.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by jarablue

I generally use my phone in the Worcester/Boxborough/Boston route. I am always getting crappy upload speeds. No matter where I go I can't get above 5mb/s. Its always at .5 to 3 90% of the time. Is spark this slow? I am using a brand new note 5 and thought the upload would be a bit better than this. 3g is completely unusable other than making a phone call. Is anyone else getting poor upload speeds? The signal bar bounces like crazy at times. Using Tapatalk takes 3+ seconds for a simple post.

I am pretty familiar with the Worcester area as far as network goes. There is a decent amount of carrier aggregation but there are definately some 3g holes. Where are you having the most issues?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I am pretty familiar with the Worcester area as far as network goes. There is a decent amount of carrier aggregation but there are definately some 3g holes. Where are you having the most issues?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Anywhere 3g is I can't use it. Nothing opens or it takes abysmally long. Running speed tests I don't get above 5mb/s ever on lte anywhere strong signal or not. Bartlett ave in Marlborough is 0 coverage.

Edited by jarablue

The Galaxy Note 2 is a Uniband device. You're stuck on Band 25. You need a Triband device to be able to get Sprint B26 (for coverage) and Sprint B41 (for speed). Using a uni band device in a market like Boston would be enough to drive someone mad.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

... I am using a brand new note 5 ...

The Galaxy Note 2 is a Uniband device. You're stuck on Band 25. You need a Triband device to be able to get Sprint B26 (for coverage) and Sprint B41 (for speed). Using a uni band device in a market like Boston would be enough to drive someone mad.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

Jarablue, you need to update your profile!

I've updated my profile till I was blue in the face. Sprint advanced tech support reset my ooma and lte settings. Let me ask you guys this, if someone, whoever fbi police were to send my device a fake prl to connect to their towers, would this cause issues? Also how could I get rid of their prl and overwrite it with sprints? Man I'm getting paranoid here I better put on my tin foil hat. I am stuck with crappy upload. I was on Band 41 getting 40 to 50 megabit down and my upload was .200. Another area with 16 down I was getting 0 upload! How's that even possible? 0 upload happens a lot! They must really be hacking my phone. I have no other explanation please help! Sitting here getting 71 megabit download and I can't crack 3 to 4 meg upload. Is sprint spark upload supposed to be this slow on Band 41.

Edited by jarablue