Samsung Galaxy S III Launch event

Odell

Strange. I read about six reviews and all raved about the new HTC One camera.

I usually read the blog reviews (subjective) and anandtech (objective) to try and get a good idea of real-world use.

Surprised phonearena didn't like the camera at all.

yeah the One series camera is stout....not buying that one lil bad review over all the amazing ones it got...

I'm still undecided which phone to get. Will it be the EVO LTE or the GS3? From what I see, HTC improved with the sense ui. Samsung's touchwiz looks bland. Infact it doesn't look that much different. I'm kind of disappointed with that. Sense to me looks more professional. However, I do like the new design. the pebble blue looks awesome. Plus it has a bigger battery and its removable. As it stands now, the EVO is winning this battle so far. I will have to take a closer look at the GS3 to make a final assessment. BTW, it looks like the wallpapers on the GS3 doesn't scroll at all. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm still undecided which phone to get. Will it be the EVO LTE or the GS3? From what I see, HTC improved with the sense ui. Samsung's touchwiz looks bland. Infact it doesn't look that much different. I'm kind of disappointed with that. Sense to me looks more professional. However, I do like the new design. the pebble blue looks awesome. Plus it has a bigger battery and its removable. As it stands now, the EVO is winning this battle so far. I will have to take a closer look at the GS3 to make a final assessment. BTW, it looks like the wallpapers on the GS3 doesn't scroll at all. Can anyone confirm this?

Do you put your phone in a case (like most people)? If so, I wouldn't put too much stock into the "pebble blue." Never gonna see it. Just a suggestion/thought. I agree with your assessment though.

WEAK.....the fact that they went with the pentile screen instead of the plus is a huge mistake imho....coulda hit a homerun here with the amoled hd plus instead of the same nexus screen type basically...

galaxy-s-iii-microscope-one-x.jpg

And from the Nexus...notice FASTBOOT in the image...

http://dl.dropbox.co...00/IMAG0203.jpg

Would of liked to see them attack HTC's camera claims some and upgrade theirs too, but the only thing they hit on seems to be software related with the camera...

Pentile got a REALLY bad wrap from the original nexus s and some moto displays (like on the Photon). I used both those phones and couldn't complain more about the garbage pentile.

Pentile was HORRIBLE on both of those. Pentile on my GNEX is actually pretty nice. It has a little bit of a "papery" grain to it, but is actually very sharp. The pixel density is so high, there is no way you can actually pick out the pixels. Supposedly, the "papery" grain is actually gone with the newest panel in the GS3... so I don't see any reason to dog on this display.

They have also fixed the whites. The GNEX display vs. the GS2 display is a HUGE upgrade, pentile and all!

As for the camera... anandtech did confirm while it is a new BSI sensor, it isn't a f/2.0 like the HTC camera... it is f/2.6.

If they end up being powered by the same SoC in the US market, it's going to come down to two things:

1) How badly do you need a removable battery

2) SAMOLED or HTC "infinity" display?

I think HTC won this round, Samsung won last round.

The rest is fairly subjective.

Gotta love competition.

• Like 1

RT @stevelitchfield: Apparently Samsung went with pentile Super AMOLED for the SGS III because it's still too hard to make 4.8" Super AMOLED+ panels.

Sent from the Negative Zone using the Ultimate Nullifier

Pentile got a REALLY bad wrap from the original nexus s and some moto displays (like on the Photon). I used both those phones and couldn't complain more about the garbage pentile.

Pentile was HORRIBLE on both of those. Pentile on my GNEX is actually pretty nice. It has a little bit of a "papery" grain to it, but is actually very sharp. The pixel density is so high, there is no way you can actually pick out the pixels. Supposedly, the "papery" grain is actually gone with the newest panel in the GS3... so I don't see any reason to dog on this display.

They have also fixed the whites. The GNEX display vs. the GS2 display is a HUGE upgrade, pentile and all!

As for the camera... anandtech did confirm while it is a new BSI sensor, it isn't a f/2.0 like the HTC camera... it is f/2.6.

If they end up being powered by the same SoC in the US market, it's going to come down to two things:

1) How badly do you need a removable battery

2) SAMOLED or HTC "infinity" display?

I think HTC won this round, Samsung won last round.

The rest is fairly subjective.

Gotta love competition.

That dropbox link is from the GNex BTW...

I'm still in shock they went with the pebtile display even after the wrap it got and knowing there are better things in market at current time...

f/2.6 lens....didn't realize they were whipping HTC camera wise with a worse lens aperture all these years...

Deff a solid phone here but think they missed a big opportunity to stomp everyone Jo question if just changed the display...cost I guess got too high?

Do like the software updates they made though. Some nice features there.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

That dropbox link is from the GNex BTW...

I'm still in shock they went with the pebtile display even after the wrap it got and knowing there are better things in market at current time...

f/2.6 lens....didn't realize they were whipping HTC camera wise with a worse lens aperture all these years...

Deff a solid phone here but think they missed a big opportunity to stomp everyone Jo question if just changed the display...cost I guess got too high?

Do like the software updates they made though. Some nice features there.

I really think the whole PenTile thing is way overblown. This is not the same PenTile that was on the Nexus S and Moto phones.

The photos really aren't what you would experience in-hand. Like I said, the GNex in-hand is very nice (other than a papery look to it) which is supposedly gone with the GS3.

PenTile on the GS3 is a non-issue in my humble opinion :) - PPI is just too high.

yeah the One series camera is stout....not buying that one lil bad review over all the amazing ones it got...

Considering that the LTEvo uses Samsung sensors for both cameras, I can't wait to see blogosphere comparisons. /sarcasm

Almost a certainly that the Sprint version of the SGS3 will be getting the S4.

Like the LTEvo.

Not much differentiating the two phones as far as performance, other than how they'll each do on radios.

Considering that the LTEvo uses Samsung sensors for both cameras, I can't wait to see blogosphere comparisons. /sarcasm

Like the LTEvo.

Not much differentiating the two phones as far as performance, other than how they'll each do on radios.

Though that's not everything that makes the camera up though...like the lens used is vastly better in the EVOLTE vs the SGS3...software can effect pics too...so there will be differences...

Like the LTEvo.

I wouldn't draw such comparisons between the two cameras. The f/* alone is a huge difference - image processing aside.

For the average user, it probably won't mater though. Both are modern BSI cameras that will perform well for day-to-day use.

It's SAMOLED + removable battery vs. "infinity display" + non-removable battery + slightly better camera

The radios should be interesting to compare.

The rest is all brand preference/software preference.

The Galaxy series are (so far) the only two phones (have carried both epics) that have not failed on me due to quality control issues . I love love love HTC..... but don't have any desire to deal with light leaking, failed charger ports, etc that I dealt with in my HTC Windows Mobile years... I use to have to depend on insurance to keep a functioning device. Had 4 palm pre replacements in between.... I'm 1 year 6 months of no insurance with Samsung.. I may not hold as good of a signal in a fringe area and I may not get a GPS lock as quickly as another phone would, but these guys have survived plenty of drops and haven't done anything that a reset or wipe can't fix.

So.... I want to again carry an HTC device, but I'd want to pick it up 2nd hand or hear of very few random quality issues....

ANYWAY, I'm very very excited about being able to wirelessly charge again like with the Pre .... loving the colors ..... excited about the improved battery.... and loving the software. Really interested to read how successful they've been in upping the voice interaction... If well, Apple is going to be even more furious!

• Like 2

The Galaxy series are (so far) the only two phones (have carried both epics) that have not failed on me due to quality control issues . I love love love HTC..... but don't have any desire to deal with light leaking, failed charger ports, etc that I dealt with in my HTC Windows Mobile years... I use to have to depend on insurance to keep a functioning device. Had 4 palm pre replacements in between.... I'm 1 year 6 months of no insurance with Samsung.. I may not hold as good of a signal in a fringe area and I may not get a GPS lock as quickly as another phone would, but these guys have survived plenty of drops and haven't done anything that a reset or wipe can't fix.

So.... I want to again carry an HTC device, but I'd want to pick it up 2nd hand or hear of very few random quality issues....

ANYWAY, I'm very very excited about being able to wirelessly charge again like with the Pre .... loving the colors ..... excited about the improved battery.... and loving the software. Really interested to read how successful they've been in upping the voice interaction... If well, Apple is going to be even more furious!

This is a perspective you rarely hear on techie type forums anymore. Most people want a device they can use reliably and effectively day in and day out. The majority of buyers don't know a pentile from a pentel and are never going to blow up a camera phone pic large enough so they can see the fringe mosaic caused by the inferior flux capacity sensor.

I have no particular allegiance to any phone manufacturer. This Samsung device is very attractive to me. It's a beautiful device, the software grabs my interest and everything else I've heard about Samsung phones fits right in with JeffDTD's experience. I'm sitting here with a not quite 2 year old EVO that I can't charge because the port doesn't work and the screen has these odd green lines that won't go away. The thought of getting a solidly built, good looking phone with plenty of right now tech inside is very attractive to me. I'm looking forward to seeing more hands-on reviews, especially of a US unit.

There are things I like about Samsung devices. There are things I like about HTC devices. However, I would consider any OEM for a flagship device, if it had the specs and build quality I'm looking for. Especially if the price is on point.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

There are things I like about Samsung devices. There are things I like about HTC devices. However, I would consider any OEM for a flagship device, if it had the specs and build quality I'm looking for. Especially if the price is on point.

I agree.

Except this time around I feel like I am choosing more based on which of two screwed up the least. I am sure that's just me, and that sounds pessimistic but it is what it is.

My personal comparison -

High tech HD screen on both - check.

ICS with advanced overlay on both - check.

Probably S4 used on both - check.

Expanded storage sufficient for my needs on both - check.

Larger battery on both - check.

LTE love - check.

Decent enough camera for a cell phone on both - check.

Yes, there are a bit of nuances and differences, but unless Samsung disappoints in radios, the only real driver for me, aside from not liking SAMOLED quite a bit, is the kickstand. It's a feature that I miss.

I think that in my case, I am simply going to wait and see what Motorola does before deciding. :D

• Like 2

HTC has had to grow up rather quickly. I've used HTC devices since before they were HTC devices (remember how they were branded audiovox for a while?).

http://www.pcmag.com...,1821923,00.asp

Ahh the glory days of "how many buttons can we fit on this phone". The build quality was so bad, it was almost laughable.

But in all seriousness - I think if you look to newer devices like the HTC rezound or the HTC EVO Design, build quality seems to be on par with Samsung. With the latest HTC One series, build quality seems to be on parity with with Nokia. Samsung continues to use plasticy parts. I think that's one of the reasons why so many people were excited to hear about the possibility of a ceramic case. Something, anything, to kill the plastic found on samsung phones.

Plastic is out, milled polycarbonate is in :)

• Like 1

I agree.

Except this time around I feel like I am choosing more based on which of two screwed up the least. I am sure that's just me, and that sounds pessimistic but it is what it is.

My personal comparison -

High tech HD screen on both - check.

ICS with advanced overlay on both - check.

Probably S4 used on both - check.

Expanded storage sufficient for my needs on both - check.

Larger battery on both - check.

LTE love - check.

Decent enough camera for a cell phone on both - check.

Yes, there are a bit of nuances and differences, but unless Samsung disappoints in radios, the only real driver for me, aside from not liking SAMOLED quite a bit, is the kickstand. It's a feature that I miss.

I think that in my case, I am simply going to wait and see what Motorola does before deciding. :D

MOTOROLA???

The most locked down phones on the planet? jkjk

btw, Anandtech said evidently the SGS3 has "...a rear camera CMOS, which is an as of yet unannounced S5C73M3 8 MP BSI sensor..." So I guess they did possibly bump up the tech there too?...though said pics wern't that great still...

seriously though, motorola? do you not root/unlock your device?

another lil interesting article by bgr here...

http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/04/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-htc-opportunity/

• Like 1

I am not discounting the possibly that Motorola management will change and meet the promise to lose the encrypted bootloader (the real problem behind the lock).

I run the engineering bootloader on my Evo and decided not to on my 3vo, so that's simply unlocked with s-off.

I'm the EarlyMon from AF who broke down the leaked 3vo schematic and explained what to expect, and the same one often misquoted on that by the XDA script kiddies trying to exploit the hardware. Same also as the one who provided helper scripts at XDA for running Ubuntu on a 3vo.

So, lollercopters yes, I care about rooting. :D

I just don't want to not give Moto a chance to do good. ;):)

PS - yes, I am like you, some of us use one id regardless of forum.

Won't Motorola phones become more "unlocked" or "free" now that it's owned by Google?

One would sure hope. Google has talked at length about keeping moto and android separated. I don’t know how much influence they will exert on moto...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Won't Motorola phones become more "unlocked" or "free" now that it's owned by Google?

That's my hope, but it's uncertain. We know Google will replace the CEO and we can hope for a cultural shift only, as Google has promised to stay hands off. And they sell a lot to Verizon, who are head over heels in love with anything locked down protecting their phoney baloney bloatware.

And then too, we have to consider timing involved.

And whether the cultural shift will also take away our sd cards.

Questions, questions. :)

• Like 1

That's my hope, but it's uncertain. We know Google will replace the CEO and we can hope for a cultural shift only, as Google has promised to stay hands off. And they sell a lot to Verizon, who are head over heels in love with anything locked down protecting their phoney baloney bloatware.

And then too, we have to consider timing involved.

And whether the cultural shift will also take away our sd cards.

Questions, questions. :)

I agree - if I was a betting person, the reason why moto is so locked is at the direct request of Verizon.

• Like 2

I am not discounting the possibly that Motorola management will change and meet the promise to lose the encrypted bootloader (the real problem behind the lock).

I run the engineering bootloader on my Evo and decided not to on my 3vo, so that's simply unlocked with s-off.

I'm the EarlyMon from AF who broke down the leaked 3vo schematic and explained what to expect, and the same one often misquoted on that by the XDA script kiddies trying to exploit the hardware. Same also as the one who provided helper scripts at XDA for running Ubuntu on a 3vo.

So, lollercopters yes, I care about rooting.

I just don't want to not give Moto a chance to do good.

PS - yes, I am like you, some of us use one id regardless of forum.

Believe me I know who u are. No need for the intro. LOL

Just thought the MOTO comment was odd is all. Haha

Personally I've become too attached to sense myself...absolutely hate blur and touchwiz in their current states...

And I believe I remember ur schematic last yr in the xda forums...most hectic times I've seen there in awhile...will be interesting to see how calm I and other people can control the nonsense with the LTE this time. (if I get assigned it that is.) Dunno what it is about the EVO but it attracts trolley from everywhere each year...ud think the device was outselling the iPhone. Lol

• Like 2

Oh. Well, thank you. :) I never assume that people will remember me. :D

Yep. I love Sense. But I am just as worried about not getting s-off for the LTEvo.

Oh well. Sammy wins on this account.

For now. (too soon for a mwah ha ha?)

Oh. Well, thank you. :) I never assume that people will remember me. :D

Yep. I love Sense. But I am just as worried about not getting s-off for the LTEvo.

Oh well. Sammy wins on this account.

For now. (too soon for a mwah ha ha?)

I am not worried one bit, s-off will be accomplished soon enough.

• Like 2