Galaxy Nexus data service issue

meatman1964

Well I received my GN today, and have had problems with it from the start.

After having to have a customer service rep activate it, in a painfully slow chat session, I have no data service at all except wifi.

Tried another customer service chat session with a assuarance that he would fix my problem, by resetting all my services. That didn't work.

Then I decided to check in the sprint forums.

Seems there are reports of simular problems, and sprint is having to replace a lot of defective phones.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/415210#415210

I am starting to wish that I had waited, and not bought so soon.

Tomorrow I start in with tech support, which is a problem because this is my only phone.

If they can't fix this and get me a working phone soon It is looking like this phone is going back and I will pick up the Evo 4g lte when it comes out in June.

From what I have seen this has been happening to people that pre-ordered and received theirs in the mail. Those that got it in store doesn't seem to have that problem. My gnex activated just fine in store on sunday, data is running fine.

• Like 1

Well I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with sprint. Tech support tried resolving my issue, had me do a factory reset, and several other meaningless tasks and then they decided my phone needed to be replaced. They said they had a internal memo which said some GN phones were having problems connecting to 3g data. Then they shipped me off to Telephone sales for the return and replacement. They in turn acknowledge the problem and say it is affecting all GN phones and that replacing it won't fix my problem.

They claim that a software update is needed and they won't replace my phone, but that I can return it for full credit with the 14 day trial period.

Of course they say Samsung is working quickly on a software update, but they can't say how long until it comes out.

I really liked the phone except the lack of data service.

I have until May 6th to start the return process.

The really crappy thing is lots of people are having no issues what so ever, and they claim replacing it won't fix it but a lot of people have gotten replacement phones and are now happy.

Feel like I am being jerked around big time. Not making me feel warm and fuzzy about Samsung or Sprint right now.

Still haven't decided if I am going to wait until the 6th and return it then. Samsung doesn't have a good track record of timely updates, the Froyo Epic 4g incident is stil fresh in my mind.

I would not order a GN from sprint online or over the phone at this point. Buying one in a store and having it activated before you leave and testing your data service is a lot better choice.

I think I saw a notice come out at work about this and Sprint is investigating. I will try to remember to double-check tomorrow.

Found the info. Sprint is indeed investigating this phenomenom but I have not seen a Known Issue put out.

Well I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with sprint. Tech support tried resolving my issue, had me do a factory reset, and several other meaningless tasks and then they decided my phone needed to be replaced. They said they had a internal memo which said some GN phones were having problems connecting to 3g data. Then they shipped me off to Telephone sales for the return and replacement.

You can also go into any corporate store and have it replaced... which is what I would do. And make sure it works before you leave. This is affecting many but not all phones.

I had the same issue. Data wasnt working right out of the box. The ONLY solution is to have them replace the phone. trust me. just tell them you've researched the Sprint Support website and that is the solution. Have the store reps get on the phone with support and have them try to fix it because they will not be able to. Ask for a brand new phone.

**Bring your original phone box with all accessories with you to the store because they will need that to do the switch.

You can tell if the phone will have issues right after turning it on for activation. If it asks you to connect to a wifi device then you know Data isnt working.

just wanted to add that after they replaced my phone (literally got the next serial #) my new one works perfectly and is awesome!

Edited by GameOver
  • Like 1

I saw a sprint tech post in their forums that the problem has been identified, and hoping for a release of the software update sometime early next week. said the update was in testing. But of course he wouldn't commmit to a date.

I already replaced my phone once at a corparate sprint store and that phone had the same data issue.

Order support rep is sending me a return kit for full credit. But if the update does roll out next week I will keep the phone.

I was told I the phone had to be returned within 10 days after receiving the return kit, so I have a little time to wait for the update.

So now it is a wait and see.

I was told I the phone had to be returned within 10 days after receiving the return kit, so I have a little time to wait for the update.

Careful. I believe Sprint has to receive the phone within 10 days of you receiving the return kit.

• Like 1

Sprint has its software update to fix the data connection problem. It also address a problem with incorrect network time, and a issue with google wallet.

Of course my return kit came yesterday and I shipped my phone back before the release lol.

Should make alot of other people happy.

• Like 1