Athens, GA LTE

danielholt

Im amazed at those speeds given such a weak signal (-107dBm). If this is what we have to look forward to' date=' it will be epic.[/quote']

It looks like that -107dBm is showing two bars. So I'm guessing that the dBm is actually -93dBm. Just like on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you need to remove -14dBm from the reading to compare signal strength with 3G devices.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Sprint LTE speeds are highly dependent on signal strength. Strong signal on a normal burdened carrier will get you 20Mbps speeds on average. Sometimes even the high 20's. Moderate signals will get you in the 8 to 12Mbps range. Weak signals will still get 3 to 5Mbps. Not too shabby.

Sprint is planning to advertise their LTE as 5 to 8Mbps to allow for normal traffic loads and varying signal strengths.

• Like 2

Screenshot_2012-04-27-20-37-43.pngScreenshot_2012-04-27-17-53-55.pngScreenshot_2012-04-27-20-53-40.png

Amazing speeds wish I could get speeds like that

To bad Southwest Florida does not start till the Fall timing

Till then I have to live with Sprint's dumb 3G

Amazing speeds wish I could get speeds like that

To bad Southwest Florida does not start till the Fall timing

Till then I have to live with Sprint's dumb 3G

Neither market I stay in is even on the 2012 list of markets. So I have to wait longer than you do.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

20mb down... 9 1/2 mob upload ... Athens.

Could you tell me which tower you connected to? On the tower map it will have a cascade ID that starts with AT. If I know which tower I can map out the signal :D

Could you tell me which tower you connected to? On the tower map it will have a cascade ID that starts with AT. If I know which tower I can map out the signal :D

I'm 2 hours from home today for airshow in Warner Robbins... if you would like to look it up I believe there's only 1 cracker barrel in Athens... at least only 1 in west Athens (near Walmart).

What speeds are you seeing at -107dBm? I would think it would be around 5-8Mbps. LTE is a totally different technology than CDMA/EVDO so it will work down to -120dBm. Your speeds look good. I would expect to see a maximum speed of around 26Mbps down and 9Mbps up.

According to the NV schedule, 3G is not live yet at any of the Network Vision sites in the Atlanta/Athens market. Only LTE so far. Same with Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Kansas markets. In most other NV markets, it is the other way around. 3G is live, but 4G is not yet.

• Like 1

According to the NV schedule, 3G is not live yet at any of the Network Vision sites in the Atlanta/Athens market. Only LTE so far. Same with Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Kansas markets. In most other NV markets, it is the other way around. 3G is live, but 4G is not yet.

Why is that?

Why is that?

I'm not certain why. The NV schedule doesn't show reasons, just dates. And in many of the early work markets it shows a disparity between 3G on air dates and 4G on air dates. One before the other by 30 to 90 days. By summer end, most sites the difference between 3G and 4G on air dates is 5 to 10 days.

If I were left to speculate, it is likely due to equipment deliveries, backhaul, switches/4G cores being ready or combinations thereof. But I have not seen or heard officially.

In the case of Boston, I now know that their 4G core will not be ready until May 18th. So even if all the Boston sites had everything else ready for LTE, the earliest LTE could start to go live is the 18th. I also know that only approx half the Chicago sites that have NV upgrades complete have their backhaul in place. These half can't run LTE now until their backhaul arrives in the next 30 to 90 days.

In the Ericsson markets, they aren't turning NV 3G on at all. Why? Don't know. Obviously new backhaul isn't an issue there, because the LTE wouldn't be live. Maybe Ericsson is getting the 3G switches upgraded? Maybe Ericsson EVDO equipment is backordered? I don't know.

What I do know is Sprint and their OEM's have known this for a long time that this disparity was going to happen because the live dates between 3G and 4G have been different on the schedule in early markets since the first day I received it.

• Like 6

this was taken right next to the tower today

Awesome. I'm working on an Athens LTE coverage map right now.

Robert

again right next to the tower

That -83dBm, is a -69dBm equivalent. On LTE signals, you will need to "add" 14 to the reading for comparative purposes. At least on the GNex. May be the case with the Viper and EVO LTE too.

Robert