Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

7/31 is the date listed by at the FCC filing stating that's when the spectrum is to be vacated by the applicants. They'll need to set up a lease entity and license the spectrum to each other as they reconfigure their holdings. 

It's still several months out and it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Hopefully all the ducks fall into place and things go smoothly. The only stumbling block I can see is lack of communication between interested parties, but this is kind of a big deal so I hope, if nothing else, self-interest prevents that.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some B41 in Harrisonburg, VA yesterday as I was passing through. I didn't have time to stop, but I'm hopeful Shentel deploys it to more areas this year, especially after the ntelos acquisition goes through.

Sent from my Note 4

• Like 1

I picked up some B41 in Harrisonburg, VA yesterday as I was passing through. I didn't have time to stop, but I'm hopeful Shentel deploys it to more areas this year, especially after the ntelos acquisition goes through.

Sent from my Note 4

Given their increase in capital spending I wouldn't be surprised that B41 is deployed quickly and throughout much of their market.  Based on their year-end presentation they have basically quadrupled their capital expenditures from 2015 for wireless expansion an nTelos upgrades from $25 million to $148 million.  Based on their past deployment speed I wouldn't be surprised to see B41 deployed through the majority of their market by mid-year and WV covered in B25/B26/B41.  

• Like 2

Well this is what happened when I got to shentel land....

Compared to being on the bridge and in Columbia....

I mean I'm rooting for shentel....but...this [emoji30]

Band 25 vs Band 41. What did you honestly expect?

• Like 1

B41 is in Shentel but just high traffic areas.

Gotcha, cause around here in Lancaster it's basically everywhere besides where they're still working on tower density. The area sprint rep keeps me posted on a lot between softbank and sprint and things with the network and I always show him stuff you guys talk about on the forums. But even he's surprised shentel isn't on track with a lot of other places when I talk about my visits here

Gotcha, cause around here in Lancaster it's basically everywhere besides where they're still working on tower density. The area sprint rep keeps me posted on a lot between softbank and sprint and things with the network and I always show him stuff you guys talk about on the forums. But even he's surprised shentel isn't on track with a lot of other places when I talk about my visits here

Where have you been in Shentel? Have you looked at your logs for 0FFXXXxx sites? I know every once and a while I will find something neat to investigate farther from my logs.

Here is a post about B41 in York from this thread in January. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/842-network-visionlte-shentel-market-shenandoah-valleyhagerstownharrisburg/?p=463739

SHENTEL -- Just found B-41 in Hagerstown, Md.   Interstate 81 and Maugans ave Exit. Site is on top of Volvo manufacturing plant water tank. Hard to run a speed test or look at engineering screens while driving,  I am not sure if this is the only site with B-41. I just stumbled onto this one.    46.91 down, 12.32 up on a non CA galaxy s-5. I was within 1000 feet of the cell site and moving.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1831130346

• Like 3

More Shentel - Also found B-41 in Waynesboro, Pa on Saturday March 26.  Site is on N Broad St on top of city water tank.

Best speed was 34.81 down and 9.11 up.  This was not in the most favorable area, so it may be possible to find better results

This was using a Galaxy S-5, non-CA phone.

]http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1828318196

Another site east of Waynesboro has the new B-41 antennas installed but No B-41 active yet.

Shentel is progressing on B-41.  Not every site is under construction, but sites that really need Band 41 are in the pipeline.

• Like 4

Found two more SHENTEL Band 41 activations today

First one in Rouzerville, Pa near Food Lion, Lowe's, Wal-Mart.

Second one in Hagerstown, Md on S Burhans Blvd in the railroad yard.

Both had slower speed than I would have expected and it kind of looks to me like the backhaul might not be upgraded. Also the sites might need some optimization yet.  Sure is good to see things getting better even if it is in the early stages.

• Like 1

Found more Band 41 today in Smithsburg, Md.  Again, the download speed is more than anybody needs, but not as fast as I had on Las Vegas sites two month ago.   I suspect the backhaul is not fully upgraded, but that is only a guess.

I do not know how many crews are upgrading sites to band 41 in Shentel Land, but I am finding quite a few sites.  I also still see quite a few sites that are not upgraded, but they sure are making progress. Shentel is doing what they said they would do. Upgrade sites to Band 41 that really need band 41.

• Like 2

Found more Band 41 today in Smithsburg, Md. Again, the download speed is more than anybody needs, but not as fast as I had on Las Vegas sites two month ago. I suspect the backhaul is not fully upgraded, but that is only a guess.

I do not know how many crews are upgrading sites to band 41 in Shentel Land, but I am finding quite a few sites. I also still see quite a few sites that are not upgraded, but they sure are making progress. Shentel is doing what they said they would do. Upgrade sites to Band 41 that really need band 41.

I moved from York, PA to Last Vegas a month ago. Almost everything out here is B41. Here's a speed test from nearby McCarren Airport last night when heading to the MGM. Speeds are almost always 35-75mb download833310e4bd53d4d098eb896733b527d3.jpg
  • Like 5

Shentel needs to up the power on their 2500 they get horrible range compared to other markets

It could be down tilt as well. They may have them aimed low until they get a bunch on line. I think they did that with B26 when they first started coming on line, then they went back to adjust them.

Sent from my Note 4

I saw a COW next to Shentel's building in Edinburg last night. I'm guessing it's in preparation for Apple Blossom in a couple weeks in Winchester. I think this time last year I saw it there too.

Sent from my Note 4

• Like 1

I have yet to find one around my area. Im in gettysburg pa.

Gettysburg may have different spectrum availability from other areas, but you should see it at some point. For a wild guess, I would say be looking in June since the crowds always come in July for the reenactments. Shentel may start to add bandwidth right before then.

Sent from my Note 4

I saw a COW next to Shentel's building in Edinburg last night. I'm guessing it's in preparation for Apple Blossom in a couple weeks in Winchester. I think this time last year I saw it there too.

Sent from my Note 4

I'm guessing you are correct.

Gettysburg may have different spectrum availability from other areas, but you should see it at some point. For a wild guess, I would say be looking in June since the crowds always come in July for the reenactments. Shentel may start to add bandwidth right before then.

Sent from my Note 4

Yeah it gets crazy here around then. I know all the towers in hanover have 2 b25 5x5 carriers.

Found 3 and maybe 4 sites in Hagerstown, Md today with newly activated Band 41. One thing for sure, Shentel is moving forward on Band 41.   Driving alone and in heavy traffic did not allow me to really get all the info on the sites.

Probably was one on W Oak Ridge Drive, One on West Washington St, One on CW Brooks building on S Potomac st and another one but I am not sure of which one.  No real proof on any of these.

• Like 2