One Way Messaging

centermedic

Hopefully somebody here can help. I am looking for a way to push messages to TV/Monitors in remote locations. In other words, using my phone or computer I can send a message to a monitor several miles away.

1 hour ago, centermedic said:

Hopefully somebody here can help. I am looking for a way to push messages to TV/Monitors in remote locations. In other words, using my phone or computer I can send a message to a monitor several miles away.

Tht seems pretty easily doable...what are the monitors connected to—a computer?

3 hours ago, centermedic said:

This may give you a start. Might not be exactly what you want.

http://new.monitorsanywhere.com/   

Several different things here.

Assuming there's internet, you could get a raspberry pi and code something up with Tasker/autoremote/IFTTT. Maybe have the pi have a browser full screen, with a page open that displays whatever it receives from autoremote/IFTTT. It would involve some coding/scripting on your part. Depends how comfortable you are with it, and what your requirements are for the message.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, centermedic said:

So many questions, requirements that are unanswered. I am assuming that the monitor is connected to a computing device of some sort that has connectivity to the outside world and also has some kind of video card. Will you be displaying the message itself or giving a command to the computing device to display something else. In either case you need some kind of decoder that interprets the remote command and the performs some local action. Am I on the right track?

On 6/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, bigsnake49 said:

So many questions, requirements that are unanswered. I am assuming that the monitor is connected to a computing device of some sort that has connectivity to the outside world and also has some kind of video card. Will you be displaying the message itself or giving a command to the computing device to display something else. In either case you need some kind of decoder that interprets the remote command and the performs some local action. Am I on the right track?

Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. IP based, displaying a message only using a monitor/tv with some type of adjunct/adaptor to receive the message.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:09 PM, centermedic said:

Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. IP based, displaying a message only using a monitor/tv with some type of adjunct/adaptor to receive the message.

Here is this device that can probably be called an HDMI over LAN extender:

http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/sets/IPUSB2HD2_Manual/IPUSB2HD2.pdf

Don't be scared by the word LAN. It can be extended over the WAN, just make sure you forward the port on the router to the right device.

Google "HDMI over IP" lots of different devices available.

What they do is extend/route your display over IP. 

Look also at this:

https://screen.cloud/devices

or this:

https://www.getmira.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI76jU1a7d2wIVxoCfCh2VhQIBEAAYAiAAEgLpa_D_BwE

Which reminds me that with with Chromecast and inexpensive Chromecast dongles you can accomplish what you want at least on a LAN.

Edited by bigsnake49