ingenium

What is the difference between Sprint APNs?

So it seems there are at least 3 Sprint APNs: n.ispsn, r.ispsn, and x.ispsn.

I remember seeing n.ispsn on some of my older devices. I have a hotspot from Calyx (via Mobile Citizen) that has a Sprint account that I can log into, and it's using r.ispsn. My Pixel 2 XL is using x.ispsn.

Does anyone know what the difference is between them? My only guesses are that n.ispsn is "native", and r.ispsn is "reseller". Or perhaps n.ispsn is NATed via CGNAT and r.ispsn is "routed" meaning a public IP? I have confirmed that the hotspot that uses r.ispsn is assigned a public, routable IP. But that doesn't answer what x.ispsn is. My phone with x.ispsn is assigned a NATed IP.

R=routable, N =Non routable X not sure. r.ispsn devices receive a routable ivp4 address.

• Like 1

R=routable, N =Non routable X not sure. r.ispsn devices receive a routable ivp4 address.
Do you know if you can change a device with n.ispsn to r.ispsn to get a routable IP with it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Do you know if you can change a device with n.ispsn to r.ispsn to get a routable IP with it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I believe that would take a plan or SoC change, this is a great question but I am not sure. 

I know you can add a public IP address but that is not necessarily routable as you will hit that carrier NAT.  I have noticed there were some n.ispsn routers handed out over the last year; I believe they were the newer 910 hotspot but they were recently switched over to r.ispsn on the mysterious "backend" we are here trying to learn about. It caused quite the nasty outage for some folks for a few days.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Popular Now

• Yup and we could have Sling for free lol
    • Yeah, Dish could have invested all that money that they invested in spectrum on Sprint's network instead. They could have brought the AWS-4 25x20 band of spectrum to sprint to strengthen Sprint's midband position, they would not have needed to bid on the AWS-3 auction and they could have probably acquired a 10x10 band of 600MHz.
    • Yup I can’t wait. Luckily Sprint has a good amount b41 deployed in urban areas. So I would assume T-Mobile will have to do a carrier update for their phones that are b41 capable. 
    • Sprint is in big trouble—and knows it Among Sprint’s challenges: Sprint continues to lose customers “despite Sprint’s aggressive attempts to add subscribers and thereby gain... Scale,” which is “exacerbating its scale disadvantages compared to larger competitors.” Sprint’s LTE network is smaller than those of its rivals, forcing it to engage in “costly” roaming agreements. Within Sprint’s network footprint, “the propagation limitations of its 2.5 GHz spectrum, coupled with an inadequate density of cell sites equipped with 2.5 GHz radios, result in significant coverage gaps in the 2.5 GHz layer.” Sprint is only going to deploy 5G on its 2.5 GHz spectrum, and only in dense urban areas, because it doesn’t have enough low-band spectrum for 5G and because it will be too expensive to deploy 5G on its 2.5 GHz spectrum nationwide. Moreover, Sprint is going to deploy massive MIMO—the carrier’s stepping stone to 5G—in areas that are currently congested, meaning that its 5G network “will not be contiguous.” Sprint continues to suffer from a “negative perception” of its network among Americans—“in fact, Sprint is the only major carrier with a rising churn rate.” Sprint’s finances are challenged, to say the least. “Sprint’s service revenue and ARPU have been declining for at least five years, with total service revenue falling around 25 percent from 2013 to 2018, and postpaid ARPU falling approximately 30 percent. Sprint also has a current net debt of approximately $32 billion and is the most highly leveraged company in the S&P 500,” the carrier wrote. Reading this list was really depressing...
    • That’s dope. I’m glad it’s worked out for you and to be able fully utilize your device with the VoLTE and stuff. You’ll be right back on B41 next year like you never left. I’m sure T-Mobile will really put it to use.