Allo is dead, Long Live Android Messages

red_dog007

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17253308/google-allo-texting-paused-android-messages

Google is pausing development of Allo in favor of Android Messages. Android Messages is supposed to be getting a web portal soon. 

With this announcement, do we know if Google is going to flex some muscle to get the major carriers (at least State side) to interconnect? Or if there is any development on the interconnect side from TMobile, AT&T and VZW.  

3 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Google is pausing development of Allo in favor of Android Messages. Android Messages is supposed to be getting a web portal soon. 

I hope their security and login process is strict. T-Mobile users have seen some security breaches through the Digits portals. This has lead to email and banking accounts being taken over by hackers.

5 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17253308/google-allo-texting-paused-android-messages

With this announcement, do we know if Google is going to flex some muscle to get the major carriers (at least State side) to interconnect? Or if there is any development on the interconnect side from TMobile, AT&T and VZW.  

Google stated that they've already wrestled dozens of carriers into supporting RCS (Chat) behind the scenes already. This is the closest thing we've ever gotten to a universal messaging platform for Android phones that resembles iMessage and the best part is that it isn't even a walled garden so Apple could implement it too. Also, unlike VoLTE, RCS's universal profile is truly universal and works between carriers from the jump. You can message people on certain Canadian carriers via RCS on Sprint. So whenever the other carriers enable it, it'll work between everyone.

33 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Too many message apps. Where does Hangouts fit in all of this?

This isn't a new messaging app but the same one that is on tons of Android phones all along. Google is pushing Android Messages to be the default messaging app on all Android devices (biggest exceptions being Samsung and Huawei who are both implementing RCS in their default texting apps). That way, if you message anyone, as long as they have an Android phone on an RCS compatible network, it'll be over RCS.

I'm pretty sure Google is still trying to push Hangouts as something mostly for enterprise customers and FWIW, I don't need another OTT messaging service. I already use FB Messenger, WhatsApp, and SMS the most. RCS is just replacing SMS or using it as fallback if necessary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

the best part is that it isn't even a walled garden so Apple could implement it too.

Apple embracing an open ecosystem???

?

26 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

You can message people on certain Canadian carriers via RCS on Sprint..

Does Sprint charge international SMS rates for messages sent through RCS?

Eventually as SMS gets phased out, Apple will simply have no choice but to embrace RCS since it'll only be left with iMessage to iPhones and nothing else as fall back. It would be as if iPhones were the "green bubbles" in Android owner's chats. They have no reason to do it now though since it does not benefit them in any way.

As for international SMS rates, I am uncertain. It's definitely free to Canada but I don't know if anyone has tried chatting someone from another country besides there. I am also uncertain if my RCS messages even appear under Sprint's messaging statistic in my account. It might simply be treated similarly to OTT messaging data usage.

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Too many message apps. Where does Hangouts fit in all of this?

An alternative to texting. Use it for group chats with co-workers and friends while at a desktop. 

Android Messages has more robust texting options. 

4 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'm pretty sure Google is still trying to push Hangouts as something mostly for enterprise customers and FWIW, I don't need another OTT messaging service. I already use FB Messenger, WhatsApp, and SMS the most. RCS is just replacing SMS or using it as fallback if necessary.

Yep - I know literally no one (personally) that actually uses Hangouts - maybe a scant few who tried it back when Google+ first came out, but that was it.  Outside of regular direct texting or FBM for those you connect with there, WhatsApp seems to be the go-to 3rd party messaging for everyone else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

Yep - I know literally no one (personally) that actually uses Hangouts - maybe a scant few who tried it back when Google+ first came out, but that was it.  Outside of regular direct texting or FBM for those you connect with there, WhatsApp seems to be the go-to 3rd party messaging for everyone else.

We have the Google suite for email, calendars and stuff for work. We use Hangouts as a group chat. I also use it to chat with friends rather than FB messenger. 

Edit - For texting though, I don't actually know anyone that uses Hangouts. Everyone I know uses Android Messages or iMessage. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

We have the Google suite for email, calendars and stuff for work. We use Hangouts as a group chat. I also use it to chat with friends rather than FB messenger. 

Edit - For texting though, I don't actually know anyone that uses Hangouts. Everyone I know uses Android Messages or iMessage. 

My job uses G-Suite as well and even then we use SMS mostly and occasionally Slack for projects that include multiple departments coordinating. But like you said, pretty much everyone is either using Android Messages or iMessage as their go-to.

1 hour ago, PA32driver said:

So how do you send a contact card in android messages? I cant seem to figure that out.

I typically just go to my contacts, click on the contact I want to share, and then click the share button to send it.

46 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I typically just go to my contacts, click on the contact I want to share, and then click the share button to send it.

When I do that it tries to open the old message app not android messages... hmm.

Just now, PA32driver said:

When I do that it tries to open the old message app not android messages... hmm.

On my phone is just brings up sharing options and then I can click who I want to send it to or what app I want to send it with.