Google voice integration going away June 1st

mc_gusto

On 5/21/2018 at 6:16 PM, mhammett said:

How much of the current feature-set would one have if they just moved over to Google Fi?

I assume that you would lose any of the roaming partnerships that Sprint has, for whatever those are worth. I'm not sure on the current functionality.

You have 3 networks that you can be on depending on the availability and strength, T-Mobile, Sprint, USCC.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:22 AM, bigsnake49 said:

You have 3 networks that you can be on depending on the availability and strength, T-Mobile, Sprint, USCC.

Right, but that doesn't really address my questions (about Google Fi vs. Google Voice feature parity or Sprint rural partnerships).

3 hours ago, mhammett said:

Right, but that doesn't really address my questions (about Google Fi vs. Google Voice feature parity or Sprint rural partnerships).

Google Fi coverage is an amalgam of the coverage of those three companies, including any roaming partners. I am not sure of any other feature parity. Compare the coverage maps.

4 hours ago, mhammett said:

Here's a reddit post that explains the coverage:

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't replace all the features of Google Voice, but just discovered that Android Messages now supports messaging on the computer. Got a notification in Messages today prompting me to go to messages(dot)android(dot)com and it'll have you scan a QR code, then connects your messages app to Chrome. 

On 6/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

This doesn't replace all the features of Google Voice, but just discovered that Android Messages now supports messaging on the computer. Got a notification in Messages today prompting me to go to messages(dot)android(dot)com and it'll have you scan a QR code, then connects your messages app to Chrome. 

That hasn't rolled out to all users yet, but we've been waiting for it for a while.

I'm still waiting for my notification, I can't wait.  I've used a bunch of 3rd party apps for this, but nothing was "silver bullet"

Did you get a Messages upgrade?  Wondering if the version i have is compatible.  I'm on 3.3.044

5 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

I'm still waiting for my notification, I can't wait.  I've used a bunch of 3rd party apps for this, but nothing was "silver bullet"

Did you get a Messages upgrade?  Wondering if the version i have is compatible.  I'm on 3.3.044

No recent updates that I noticed. Version is 3.3.044 also. 

If you tap the menu button, is there a "Messages for web" option?

15 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

No recent updates that I noticed. Version is 3.3.044 also. 

If you tap the menu button, is there a "Messages for web" option?

No option, I keep checking.  Apparently there is a way to force enable with root and editing some stuff, but I'll just wait it out.

• 2 weeks later...