Nextel49

Sprint Tmobile merger Disc.

3 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

So what your saying is that 5G technology can replace some of this at a reasonable price?

I'm saying that, given that LTE can do so already, doing so with 5G should be a cakewalk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iansltx said:

I'm saying that, given that LTE can do so already, doing so with 5G should be a cakewalk.

OK I understand. If I’m not mistaken the fifth generation standards won’t be rolled out until 2020.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

I dont see the point of these things. Mergers are not and should not be a matter of Democratic will. 

Except Delrahim doesn't seem to have an issue with any mergers. 

he said he didn’t see AT&T’s $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner as “a major antitrust problem.”

I don't like that he feels like anyone can merge with no repercussions. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 1:02 AM, JThorson said:

Except Delrahim doesn't seem to have an issue with any mergers. 

I don't like that he feels like anyone can merge with no repercussions. 

It seems that the DOJ has reached out to Sprint and T-Mobile MVNOs about the effects of the merger. Something tells me that one of the merger conditions will be that the pricing structure for MVNO be frozen at the current levels for let's say 3-4years. I also think that they will probably have another condition relating to coverage and 5G deployment targets within 3-4 years.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/doj-reaching-out-to-mvnos-amid-proposed-t-mobile-sprint-combination

Edited by bigsnake49

It seems that the DOJ has reached out to Sprint and T-Mobile MVNOs about the effects of the merger. Something tells me that one of the merger conditions will be that the pricing structure for MVNO be frozen at the current levels for let's say 3-4years. I also think that they will probably have another condition relating to coverage and 5G deployment targets within 3-4 years.
https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/doj-reaching-out-to-mvnos-amid-proposed-t-mobile-sprint-combination
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile-us-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-justice-department-probes-t-mobile-sprint-merger-effect-on-smaller-wireless-companies-sources-idUSKCN1J328E interesting...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

I wonder if they will talk to actual smaller wireless companies that Sprint in particular roams on about the effect of the merger on them.

Edited by bigsnake49

I wonder if they will talk to actual smaller wireless companies that Sprint in particular roams on about the effect that the merger on them.
I'm actually in agreement with you. Because T-Mobile obviously has the larger Network for the most part and the two merging could definitely affect roaming agreements as far as I see.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

So much juicy info in the Public Interest Statement that T-Mobile and Sprint put together for the FCC. Page 23 and 24 have some maps that show the projected extent of 5G coverage on both networks in 2024 if they were to go at it alone. Beware, the document is over 600 pages long so if anyone has free time and wants to go through the whole thing, please do!

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10618281006240/Public Interest Statement and Appendices A-J (Public Redacted) .pdf

I'll keep editing as I find more cool stuff.

Edits: I'm still reading but something to note is that on their own, it is expected that by 2021, Sprint will cover more POP's in high-speed 5G than T-Mobile. So while T-Mobile would have greater overall coverage by a long shot, Sprint would  be capable of providing 153 Million POPs with speeds greater than 150Mbps compared to only 10 Million from T-Mobile.

As part of this transition, Sprint customers’ 2.5 GHz LTE traffic will move to T-Mobile’s AWS spectrum, which could not occur but for this transaction. This refarming frees resources to implement a pure 5G network in the 2.5 GHz band as rapidly as possible. As can be seen from Table 1 above, the LTE migration for the 2.5 GHz band is projected to be complete by 2022 for the combined entity, while standalone Sprint would likely still be required to reserve at least (redacted) megahertz of 2.5 GHz spectrum for LTE through 2024 (and would reserve at least some 2.5 GHz spectrum for LTE for the foreseeable future). This means that New T-Mobile will have (redacted) megahertz of 2.5 GHz spectrum dedicated nationally to 5G, as compared to the (redacted) megahertz that Sprint would have on its own—an increase of 75 percent. In addition, by 2024, the transaction will allow all (redacted) megahertz of available PCS spectrum to be dedicated nationally to 5G, whereas the standalone companies would only have (redacted) megahertz of PCS available in some markets.

About one-half of Sprint’s branded customer base, or about 20 million users, have devices that are compatible with T-Mobile’s network and can be integrated into the New T-Mobile network with an over-the-air software update shortly after deal close. Additionally, New T-Mobile will migrate Sprint CDMA voice users to VoLTE (either through a software upgrade or handset replacement promotions). Significantly, the one area of overlapping spectrum holdings—the 1900 MHz PCS band—will allow a seamless integration of Sprint’s existing customers onto T-Mobile’s network. Finally, billing and back office system transitions will occur over time to minimize disruption to distribution, customer care, and operations.

AAGgRHC.png

New T-Mobile’s robust nationwide 5G network will close the speed differential between mobile and wired broadband and have the capacity to handle the diverse needs of in-home broadband customers in many areas. The combined company intends to directly and aggressively compete against conventional in-home wired broadband products, providing consumers with an attractive high-speed broadband alternative to the wired incumbent—some for the first time.

By 2024, the Applicants expect New T-Mobile to provide high-speed, in-home broadband service to approximately 9.5 million subscriber households, equating to approximately 7 percent market penetration, and making New T-Mobile the fourth largest inhome Internet service provider (“ISP”) in the United States based on current subscriber counts.207 Of particular importance, T-Mobile estimates that 20-25 percent of these new subscribers for inhome broadband service will be located in rural areas.

New T-Mobile will offer to become the Preferred Roaming Partner for rural carriers, providing long-term roaming access to the robust New T-Mobile network at industry-leading terms. This will include a roaming program that offers carriers with existing roaming rates with either T-Mobile or Sprint to determine which rates will govern their relationship with New T-Mobile after the transaction closes. Moreover, New T-Mobile will cooperate with rural partners on their 5G roll-out, including providing technical assistance and advice on 5G deployments.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

So much juicy info in the Public Interest Statement that T-Mobile and Sprint put together for the FCC. Page 23 and 24 have some maps that show the projected extent of 5G coverage on both networks in 2024 if they were to go at it alone. Beware, the document is over 600 pages long so if anyone has free time and wants to go through the whole thing, please do!

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10618281006240/Public Interest Statement and Appendices A-J (Public Redacted) .pdf

I'll keep editing as I find more cool stuff.

Edits: I'm still reading but something to note is that on their own, it is expected that by 2021, Sprint will cover more POP's in high-speed 5G than T-Mobile. So while T-Mobile would have greater overall coverage by a long shot, Sprint would  be capable of providing 153 Million POPs with speeds greater than 150Mbps compared to only 10 Million from T-Mobile.

AAGgRHC.png

That doc is sooo juicy with all the tea.  That Sprint 5G map is a mess but its hitting cities that are well off for Sprint.

11 minutes ago, derrph said:

That doc is sooo juicy with all the tea.  That Sprint 5G map is a mess but its hitting cities that are well off for Sprint.

It would be a lot more juicy without the redactions.

However, the performance impact of massive MIMO would occur only in the limited  geographic areas where Sprint would deploy this technology on its own.  Sprint expects to  deploy this feature on approximately  (redacted) sites by the end of 2020

Great.