I love my 4S! The 3G speeds can be slow in a lower signal area. The Airwave can def help out if you are in a super low signal part of town. You have to have dsl service though. I use wifi at my home for the iPhone and ipad2. My parents have the Airwave. And Sprint will give that to you for only $1.50 a month! Well worth it. I also got my Mom the iPhone 4 for Mothers day. She really likes it. And my sister and brother in law will be upgrading to the iPhone from their Evo and Epic this fall.

I think a lot of folks prefer the iPhone simply because it is simple. My girlfriend's sister had her purse stolen with her iPhone in it, and now has no phone. I gave her my old EVO Shift to use till she can buy a used 4 or 4S online, and she had difficulty getting the EVO set up. Took her a while but she finally figured out how to add contacts, enable wifi, etc.

I'm not saying the iPhone is the best, but what they excel at is ease of use.

I think a lot of folks prefer the iPhone simply because it is simple. My girlfriend's sister had her purse stolen with her iPhone in it, and now has no phone. I gave her my old EVO Shift to use till she can buy a used 4 or 4S online, and she had difficulty getting the EVO set up. Took her a while but she finally figured out how to add contacts, enable wifi, etc.

I'm not saying the iPhone is the best, but what they excel at is ease of use.

Well, part of that is what you are used to. My wife was having issues with her week-old phone, and the store did a return so she would get another new phone instead of a warranty replacement. The phone was out of stock, so after about an hour of them seeing how high they could get my blood pressure (they said she would be without a phone for up to 2 weeks and they couldn't give her a loaner) they finally gave her a iPhone 4 as a loaner. They might as well have given her a flip phone, because she had issues using anything other than the talk and text functions of the phone. Moving from android to android was not an issue though...

That said, my mother recently bought an iPhone, and apparently has figured it out to some point because she has called and texted me several times since. Having limited experience on the iPhone, it didn't seem very conducive to ease of use with my big hands as I kept mashing the keys on the onscreen keyboard when trying to set up the wife's phone. It might be easier, or it might be just another Apple marketing claim that Google doesn't feel like they need to contradict.

Edit: after I posted this the thought popped into my head of how everything is integrated in the "cloud" and pictures are auto-uploaded to all your devices etc. That is definitely more user friendly than Android.

In my current position at Sprint, I get to use both devices daily, and can appreciate the ease of the iPhone. I hate how it is dumbed down, but can understand why. For your average user, picking up the iPhone and using it is a nobrainer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

...There is no guarantee even the next iPhone will support CDMA 800.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I'd say there's a good chance the next iPhone would support CDMA 800. The SMR band butts right up against the regular 850Mhz wireless band (forming essentially one long single band composed of both bands) so I would think it wouldn't be to difficult, when designing a phone from scrach, to add CDMA850 support. Becuase of the relatively low frequency, the antenna spec. should be pretty simple to achieve too.

I'd say there's a good chance the next iPhone would support CDMA 800. The SMR band butts right up against the regular 850Mhz wireless band (forming essentially one long single band composed of both bands) so I would think it wouldn't be to difficult, when designing a phone from scrach, to add CDMA850 support. Becuase of the relatively low frequency, the antenna spec. should be pretty simple to achieve too.

True. Yet the same presupposition also existed when the iPhone 4S came out.

Robert

Robert

Yeah, but that wasn't that much after the network vision announcement. Apple bagan designing and sourcing the iPhone 4S well before that so they have a reasonably good excuse I'd say. This time if they don't have it in the device that would be a different story.

Edited by GoWireless

And the iPad third generation supports AWS 2100+1700 MHz for LTE but locks out the same support for W-CDMA.

Apple does whatever Apple wants to do or whatever Apple's bosom buddies AT&T and VZW can convince Apple to do.

AJ

And the iPad third generation supports AWS 2100+1700 MHz for LTE but locks out the same support for W-CDMA.

Apple does whatever Apple wants to do or whatever Apple's bosom buddies AT&T and VZW can convince Apple to do.

AJ

Well, in Apple's defense, when it comes to the iPhone 4S, Apple actually did a pretty admirable job of incorporating multiple radios and technologies onto one hardware platform that it distributes worldwide. Certainly more than what most other device makers have attempted to do with their devices.

When it comes to tablets, becuase most folks don't buy them cell-enabled anyway, Apple took a different tack but when it comes to the 4S they are actually pretty well ahead with respcet to having one device support many different networks. Of course as time goes by, SoC makers make it easier on phone manufacturers. I believe the MSM8960 S4 snapdragon in the Samsung GSIII and a few other devices for example can support seven different bands and four different air interfaces. Amazing what they can pack into one piece of silicon nowadays.

Edited by GoWireless

Well, in Apple's defense, when it comes to the iPhone 4S, Apple actually did a pretty admirable job of incorporating multiple radios and technologies onto one hardware platform that it distributes worldwide. Certainly more than what most other device makers have attempted to do with their devices.

When it comes to tablets, becuase most folks don't buy them cell-enabled anyway, Apple took a different tack but when it comes to the 4S they are actually pretty well ahead with respcet to having one device support many different networks. Of course as time goes by, SoC makers make it easier on phone manufacturers. I believe the MSM8960 S4 snapdragon in the Samsung GSIII and a few other devices for example can support seven different bands and four different air interfaces. Amazing what they can pack into one piece of silicon nowadays.

I'm not picking on Apple at all. Along with trying to get as many carriers support into one device as possible, I just don't believe Apple is going to try to focus on every single band from every carrier. In my opinion, I just don't believe it is beyond the realm of possibility that Apple will tell Sprint, we have given you support for the 1900 PCS band and 850 for roaming too. And that's it.

Then it will be up to Sprint to provide the best experience possible for its iPhone customers on 1900. It is possible that they may include 800 SMR support. I'm not saying they won't. However, I don't think it is a high priority for Apple on any level. Even if it is relatively easy for Apple to achieve.

Robert

• Like 1

I have to think Sprint made sure 800 would be on future models when they signed the deal. 800 seems to be a pretty big deal for them in the future to improve service and to bring them to ATT/Verizon level.

The 4S was pretty much a 4 with a better processor and ram, plus siri. I doubt they tried to add any antennas or frequencies to it. The iPhone 6 will be a complete refresh.

I have to think Sprint made sure 800 would be on future models when they signed the deal. 800 seems to be a pretty big deal for them in the future to improve service and to bring them to ATT/Verizon level.

The 4S was pretty much a 4 with a better processor and ram, plus siri. I doubt they tried to add any antennas or frequencies to it. The iPhone 6 will be a complete refresh.

I agree. If Sprint is paying apple 15 billion over 4 years, I would hope they added a few requirements to the mix.

I would be very surprised if the Sprint/Apple deal involves details about specific frequencies, especially 800. Apple is not likely to agree to be boxed into anything like that. Apple had the upper hand in negotiations. Sprint was in a take it or leave it situation. If Apple decides to provide 800 SMR support, its not because Sprint was able to force them through shrewd negotiations. It's because they decided to.

Do you mean to tell me you guys believe that Sprint negotiated a deal where the first two models of iPhones sold by Sprint wouldn't have 800 support, but all later models will? Just a future support clause? I don't go along with that thinking.

If Apple has 800 SMR support in the next iPhone, I believe it's because they want it. Because they thought it would make them more money. Not because Dan Hesse had Steve Jobs in a head lock on his death bed.

Robert

Apple wants to make as few models of the iPhone as possible.

Sprint is the only carrier in the world using CDMA on 800 SMR.

Unless the next iPhone supports 800 SMR LTE, there will not be 800 SMR CDMA. Sorry.

I agree. If Sprint is paying apple 15 billion over 4 years, I would hope they added a few requirements to the mix.

When you make a deal with the devil...

AJ

• Like 1

The thing is that like I mentioned before, from a technical perspective, adding the 800Mhz band to a phone that already supports the 850Mhz band is a relatively simple undertaking. That's compared to say adding the AWS/1700Mhz band to a phone that support the 850/900/1900/2100 bands which would be a more technically challenging undertaking. That's why I'm thinking there's a reasonably good chance they'll add it.

Edited by GoWireless

The thing is that like I mentioned before, from a technical perspective, adding the 800Mhz band to a phone that already supports the 850Mhz band is a relatively simple undertaking. That's compared to say adding the AWS/1700Mhz band to a phone that support the 850/900/1900/2100 bands which would be a more technically challenging undertaking. That's why I'm thinking there's a reasonably good chance they'll add it.

I acknowledge your point. I just don't necessarily agree that Apple will draw the same conclusions.

Robert

Apple has a mind of their own and they forced at&t and VZW's hands in the first place regarding the iPhone. When the iPhone first came to at&t, Apple made all the rules and at&t couldn't say anything. So there is a 50/50 chance that the next iPhone supports 800SMR CDMA voice. It'll be a miracle that Apple allows 1900 LTE on it.

Side note, If anyone has an iPhone 3GS they aren't using anymore, please PM me. Mine died early this morning on me. :(

Sprint's contract with apple is nothing more than a guarantee to sell $15 billion worth of iPhones in 4 years. Sprint was DESPERATE for the iPhone. Apple has no risk in the contract. Even if Google gets the iPhone banned somehow, Apple is still guaranteed money from Sprint (and probably Verizon and AT&T) Apple doesn't owe anything to Sprint except the agreement to provide as many phones as Sprint can sell. I don't understand why people think Sprint holds any cards in this deal.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion...

The iphone "5" will not have LTE or voice on 800. It will have LTE on 1900.

With consistent and much improved 3G on my iphone 4s (after NV is complete in chicago), I will hold out on upgrading until the next generation (the iphone "6").

I'm hoping that LTE 800, voice on 800, and HD phone calls will be implemented in most sprint phones in 2013. By then, I'm hoping new second gen phones are out with more efficient LTE radios and better battery technology.

Summer/Fall of 2013 will be great time to upgrade. Who knows, if WP8 does well I might switch.

There is no guarantee that if Apple decides not to put 800 SMR support in the iPhone 5, that they will definitely put it in the next model.

In my opinion, if Apple decides against 800 SMR support in the iPhone 5, then it was conscious decision not to support it and not incidental. And if they specifically chose to omit 800 SMR support now, the same conditions will likely still exist the next year that would have them preclude it again in the next model.

Apple does not guarantee each operator that it will cover every one of their frequencies they support. This is an issue with several wireless carriers around the world. They have to "beef up" certain Apple supported spectrums, because their other frequencies were not supported by the iPhone. Look what Tmo is doing with PCS for the iPhone.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

"I don't understand why people think Sprint holds any cards in this deal. "

You're right, but Apple is also conscious of the fact that a poor experience on any of the networks reflects poorly on Apple as well. For example, Apple took a lot of heat in regards to AT&T's 3G network problems.

• Like 2