Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

It's about time. Hopefully lilotimz or wiwavelength/s4gru can answer, but with eHRPD, can calls hand off from LTE to CDMA? Has Sprint made any progress with this? I noticed that it was mentioned earlier but nobody really got a clear answer.
If that was possible Sprint would have had VOLTE when everyone else did. Their in the same boat as VZW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, floorguy said:

WEll I have mixed feelings about it around here... (granted its new, and feelings are usually mixed)

When its working, its AWESOME.. when I am walking and talking and go into a basement while working... JOKE.  Which there is no way to truly fix it, guess it was the same back in the early days of cell phones..

I will say I was on a call, and they were on wifi or some other HD call on theirs.. and the sound was fantastic

I have the same issue on Tmo VoLTE. They sent me a Cellspot.  Sprint customers will need a VoLTE capable Airave or Magic Box for these types of situations if WiFi Calling is not a good option for them. But that won't help you in a client's home in most situations.  I believe Sprint will optimize B26 for better coverage in VoLTE circumstances.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

I have the same issue on Tmo VoLTE. They sent me a Cellspot.  Sprint customers will need a VoLTE capable Airave or Magic Box for these types of situations if WiFi Calling is not a good option for them. But that won't help you in a client's home in most situations.  I believe Sprint will optimize B26 for better coverage in VoLTE circumstances.

They really just need to drop Qrxlevmin values on B26. When VoLTE goes live, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Qrxlevmins as low as -130. 

6 hours ago, S4GRU said:

what type of "extra" coverage does the magic box give??

And yea I was more referring being in a clients place... Just the other day I was on an empty and in an older home with solid concrete walls... had to call the customer back (who called) after I got upstairs and switched of calling plus..

what type of "extra" coverage does the magic box give??

And yea I was more referring being in a clients place... Just the other day I was on an empty and in an older home with solid concrete walls... had to call the customer back (who called) after I got upstairs and switched of calling plus..
Indoor coverage

lol isnt that what wifi coverage is for??
Sure, but it helps save battery life. Coverage from the MB will exceed a single wifi access point. It has 2-3x the transmit power, so it'll reach outside the home a bit. It's also useful as a backup if your internet goes out for whatever reason, or if you have visitors who also have Sprint.

In addition, some people don't have home internet, especially if they only have phones (a large percentage of people surprisingly).

I have a MB installed at my parents'. They can only get 3 Mbps DSL for home internet (no cable available), and very very weak B26 without the MB. With the MB they get 30 Mbps, so they rarely use their WiFi anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep, time to stretch out that B26 as far as possible and make it as useless as possible for data use. Though 26+25 CA would help tremendously in fringy areas where UL on 25 wouldn't work and 26 is too slow on the DL to work.

If I remember correctly Verizon has phones hold LTE much longer than it would if the phone were just active with data, etc. when a phone is on a VoLTE call, because even at the weakest of signals data can still be transmitted, the data rate is just so low it's not good for anything other than the very low data rates used by VoLTE. I imagine Sprint will do the same with their LTE network. 

Yes that is the typical behavior on Verizon and AT&T. They will hang onto the call until the LTE UL to the site is 100% lost. T-Mobile will try to hand down to UMTS and GSM. (AT&T sets parameters to prevent any hand downs in most places)
  • Like 1

Anyone with an iPhone on here actually get a call on VoLTE on Sprint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have once. I had a situation where I was on a WiFi call and walked out of WiFi coverage. I was shifted to LTE. While on that LTE call it dropped. The person called me back and the call was received on LTE. I haven’t been able to duplicate it since.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

The OnePlus 6 can be used on U.S. Cellular thanks to VoLTE. I hope Sprint decides to be as open to non-CDMA phones when they activate VoLTE.

One plus 6 has CDMA support for BC0 and BC1. That's why it works on US Cellular. It's not because of VoLTE.

Just now, Paynefanbro said:

Oh I didn't realize that! Thanks for letting me know.

I thought the same thing at first. Seeing as how they left out CDMA BC10 (Sprint) and LTE B13 (Verizon), it's safe to assume US Cellular worked with OnePlus to get this done. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone is sold in US Cellular stores.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else noticed how calling plus on LTE seems to be doing much better now than when it was first implemented? Not sure what they tweaked in the past few months, but it seems pretty close to 1x reliability and quality now, at least for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Galaxyguy said:

Has anyone else noticed how calling plus on LTE seems to be doing much better now than when it was first implemented? Not sure what they tweaked in the past few months, but it seems pretty close to 1x reliability and quality now, at least for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

Sucks that Central Illinois is not included.  :(

Wonder how the opt-in will work.  Live in a non-soft-launch market but am in a soft-launch market for work every week.  If I opt-in while in the soft-launch market, I wonder what will happen when I go back to the non-soft-launch market.  Hmmmmm  

2 hours ago, shaferz said:

Sucks that Central Illinois is not included.  :(

Wonder how the opt-in will work.  Live in a non-soft-launch market but am in a soft-launch market for work every week.  If I opt-in while in the soft-launch market, I wonder what will happen when I go back to the non-soft-launch market.  Hmmmmm  

As ive been told, the IMS core will verify if a VoLTE call is allowed to complete or not.  If you are in a non-VOLTE market you will just be on a call on the legacy network.

Areas outside of these soft launch locations will have to wait until around the January time frame.
By the middle of next year is when all devices sold have to have VoLTE enabled from the get go.
My Galaxy S8 gets VOLTE on T-Mobile and vzw, so I don't see why I wouldn't on Sprint

• 2 weeks later...