Cellmapper

RAvirani

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

AT&T over here shut down band 2 HSPA

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AT&T generally only shuts down Band 2 HSPA in areas where they have LTE deployed (in an effort to increase on-air LTE spectrum). In areas without LTE, AT&T usually runs several WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+ carriers on both Bands 5 and 2. 

2 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Yeah, but they usually are able to get away with that because most of their deployment is HSPA or HSPA+ which peaks at 21 or 42 mbps (depending on the configuration). That’s about the same as, if not better than, a 5x5 LTE carrier. 

I have not hit a dual carrier HSPA+ AT&T site in many years.  No more 42Mbps capable sites out there.  If you are on AT&T HSPA/HSPA+ only site with no LTE nearby, then they are typically very heavily used.  2-5Mbps in most instances I have observed.  It's only the HSPA+ colocated with LTE that typically runs really fast.  Because most of the traffic is on LTE in those instances.  Leaving FauxG wide open.

2 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

I have not hit a dual carrier HSPA+ AT&T site in many years.  No more 42Mbps capable sites out there.  If you are on AT&T HSPA/HSPA+ only site with no LTE nearby, then they are typically very heavily used.  2-5Mbps in most instances I have observed.  It's only the HSPA+ colocated with LTE that typically runs really fast.  Because most of the traffic is on LTE in those instances.  Leaving FauxG wide open.

I think there are a few non-LTE dual carrier HSPA+ sites left in rural Montana and Utah...but generally speaking, you’re right. They are becoming rarer and rarer.

I’d say a majority of AT&T’s non-LTE areas today are probably 7.2 mbps WCDMA, which is not great, but gets the job done in most cases. 

5 hours ago, RAvirani said:

AT&T generally only shuts down Band 2 HSPA in areas where they have LTE deployed (in an effort to increase on-air LTE spectrum). In areas without LTE, AT&T usually runs several WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+ carriers on both Bands 5 and 2. 

yes now it its just band 5 over here... and i am curious as to when hspa will be shut down....AT&T is running 50 MHZ here...LTE