Network Mapping

derrph

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 9:34 AM, Paynefanbro said:

Sensorly's website has been updated now. It only shows mapping done in the past year.

That is a fair compromise to getting rid of erroneous data, but I'm not going to go out of my way to re-map stuff annually. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, Paynefanbro said:

I think they're encouraging more passive mapping. An update like this is sure to piss off people like yourself that go out of their way to map specific places.

Yeah, I don’t understand why they’re doing this. The map should reflect the coverage for the last time it’s been mapped.

Rootmetrics maps keep the old data around until it’s remapped as far as I know, so that’s why I use it. I assume that some progress has made on the slow areas (Orange/light blue hexes) since whenever they were last done, so I always try to go to those areas and speed test to update the “Fastest Speed Found” Map layer.

I was mapping around the north side of Downtown Bethesda (Woodmont Triangle) last night and was pleasantly surprised at the speeds. The speeds around Bethesda Row and south of it could use some work though.

Have a look! ?

No one seems to be using Sensorly for Speed Tests in DC. Seems like a ghost town. I used it for a while, but now I’ve been mapping a bunch using the Rootmetrics App.

I am amazed at the huge Map difference between T-Mobile and Sprint on the “Fastest Speed Found” Map Layer in the Rootmetrics App.

What explains the difference? Does T-Mobile send out people to Speed Test? Do T-Mobile users Speed Test more frequently in the Rootmetrics App? I always thought that Legere didn’t like Rootmetrics.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:39 AM, RedSpark said:

No one seems to be using Sensorly for Speed Tests in DC. Seems like a ghost town. I used it for a while, but now I’ve been mapping a bunch using the Rootmetrics App.

I am amazed at the huge Map difference between T-Mobile and Sprint on the “Fastest Speed Found” Map Layer in the Rootmetrics App.

What explains the difference? Does T-Mobile send out people to Speed Test? Do T-Mobile users Speed Test more frequently in the Rootmetrics App? I always thought that Legere didn’t like Rootmetrics.

From what I noticed, TMO subs well the ones who bleed magenta are constantly mashing away at the button on whatever speedtest app. 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:20 PM, derrph said:

From what I noticed, TMO subs well the ones who bleed magenta are constantly mashing away at the button on whatever speedtest app. 

Seems like it. I’m seeing many more speed tested hexes for T-Mobile vs Sprint in the Rootmetrics App.

I assume these Speed Tests are providing valuable information for T-Mobile on its network performance?

Is this Map Layer updated as part of Rootmetrics drive testing?

1 minute ago, RedSpark said:

Seems like it. I’m seeing many more speed tested hexes for T-Mobile vs Sprint in the Rootmetrics App.

Is this Map Layer updated as part of Rootmetrics drive testing?

It is like the hardcore TMO users hang onto how fast something is to validate their decision as to why they are on T-mobile.

The Map Layer? That I'm not sure of.

14 minutes ago, derrph said:

It is like the hardcore TMO users hang onto how fast something is to validate their decision as to why they are on T-mobile.

The Map Layer? That I'm not sure of.

It does make a good impression on the Maps though.

I try to map wherever I can in the Rootmetrics App for Sprint. I wish Sprint network drive testers ran these apps in the background as well.

The Map Layers for Sprint could use a real shot in the arm...

When the Sprint/T-Mobile Roaming Agreement kicks in, how will that affect Network Mapping in each of the Apps? (Sensorly, Rootmetrics, OpenSignal, etc.)

8 hours ago, RedSpark said:
When the Sprint/T-Mobile Roaming Agreement kicks in, how will that affect Network Mapping in each of the Apps? (Sensorly, Rootmetrics, OpenSignal, etc.)

It will.depend on how each app treats roaming signals. It's up to them. Some ignore roaming and does not report it. Others do show roaming. And the ones that do show roaming do not differentiate it. You don't know if what is shown is native or roaming.

Robert using Pixel XL via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are any of y'all using nPerf?  I started using it more once they allowed mapping your trips.  It has several testing options and shows the best technology in the area on the map.