Network Mapping

derrph

As of recently, there has been a huge uptick of work being done in many markets.  It seems as though Sprint is putting the pedal to the metal with the network.  I do miss the high activity with posts, mapping screenshots and etc that was going on in here during 2013 -2015. Anyways, with all the work that is currently being done, I think its a good time for us all to start mapping again where we discover new and or improved coverage. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, derrph said:

As of recently, there has been a huge uptick of work being done in many markets.  It seems as though Sprint is putting the pedal to the metal with the network.  I do miss the high activity that was going on in here during 2013 -2015. Anyways, with all the working that is currently being doing I think its a good time for us all to start mapping again where we discover new and or improved coverage. 

Agreed.  I've started back at it myself. Good idea.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

Agreed.  I've started back at it myself. Good idea.

Thanks! I thought that this would be a great time to start back up again and bring back more life to this forum like the old days lol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Sensorly, Rootmetrics and Cellmapper are all great. 

I'm on iOS and in my exp, Sensorly has worked best for me. All those you listed are great options. 

I like CellMapper because it shows the most detail. With enough data you can see the coverage of each sector very nicely in the cloverleaf pattern. It also gives clues for where new sites might be located.

I'm finding it useful to visualize small cell coverage areas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, derrph said:

I'm on iOS and in my exp, Sensorly has worked best for me. All those you listed are great options. 

I’m on iOS as well and I definitely agree. A lot of people here have androids, though, so I just wanted to make sure they were aware of their options. 

On 1/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, derrph said:

Does the iOS Sensorly do multiple speed tests? The Map Drive looks like it only does signal coverage. I like that RootMetrics can do 21 tests in a row for when driving.

5 hours ago, nobius said:

Does the iOS Sensorly do multiple speed tests? The Map Drive looks like it only does signal coverage. I like that RootMetrics can’t do 21 tests in a row fo4 when driving.

Map Drive only does signal coverage, you’re right. I wish it did speed tests, too!

If you're looking to try to find tower locations or correlate GCI/PCI information to towers, here's some code I've been working on that processes the data collected by my SignalDetector app, using the LTE Timing Advance information reported in recent Android versions for triangulation. It's not 100% perfect with only a few data points but it can zero in pretty decently with sufficiently-spaced data points; typically it gets within 50 meters or so of Sprint's recorded GPS coordinates of the towers. https://github.com/lordsutch/cellfinder

An example of what it does is attached. Note that this is not based on anything except data collected from the phone—it's not using any sponsor data from S4GRU to estimate the tower locations, just signal data collected by me driving on I-16 and around the Savannah area in early November.

towers.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m using the Rootmetrics Coverage Map on iOS. I was in the Navy Yard in DC yesterday and did some Mapping and Speed Tests while there. I love turning the orange or blank hexes dark blue with new fast Speed Tests. Orange means slow. The darker the blue, the faster the average speed in the Hex. So I’ll run a few tests to bring that up. However, if I register a slow Speed Test in an area, I submit an issue report in the My Sprint App for “slow speeds”. I wish Sprint increased the reporting limit from 3 reports per day per line.

• Like 1

Has anyone else seen this?

When I was Mapping with the Rootmetrics App by the Nationals Ballpark in DC yesterday, I noticed my device was suddenly picking up WiFi and was automatically logged into a WiFi network.

I opened settings in order to see the network name, and it said “Private Network”. What was this? Boingo? DAS w/WiFi? Private Sprint WiFi around the Ballpark?

Anyone else experience this kind of thing in other areas?

Edited by RedSpark
Spelling!

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Has anyone else seen this?

When I was Mapping with the Rootmetrics App by the Nationals Ballpark in DC yeste, I noticed my device was suddenly picking up WiFi and was automatically logged into a WiFi network.

I opened settings in order to see the network name, and it said “Private Network”. What was this? Boingo? DAS w/WiFi? Private Sprint WiFi around the Ballpark?

Anyone else experience this kind of thing in other areas?

Happens to me on Project Fi.  I turn off my WiFi when it happens. If it doesn't identify the WiFi in a commercially known name to me, like Comcast, Starbucks, Mariners WiFi, SeaTac Airport, Public Utility District, etc., then I turn off my WiFi and force it on to the wireless network. 

Project Fi will turn it back on, on its own after a few hours. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

Happens to me on Project Fi.  I turn off my WiFi when it happens. If it doesn't identify the WiFi in a commercially known name to me, like Comcast, Starbucks, Mariners WiFi, SeaTac Airport, Public Utility District, etc., then I turn off my WiFi and force it on to the wireless network. 

Project Fi will turn it back on, on its own after a few hours. 

I've seen this happen at airports where Sprint has partnered with Boingo. It was odd that it suddenly happened in this part of DC walking on the street next to the Ballpark. I've never seen that happen before while out and about.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:56 AM, RedSpark said:

I've seen this happen at airports where Sprint has partnered with Boingo. It was odd that it suddenly happened in this part of DC walking on the street next to the Ballpark. I've never seen that happen before while out and about.

My guess is that it's some type of passpoint WiFi that only Sprint devices can register on. As the Westfield Mall in the Oculus at the WTC in NYC, their WiFi is connected to Boingo so Sprint phones will sometimes automatically connect to a password protected network inside that doesn't appear in the list of SSIDs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

My guess is that it's some type of passpoint WiFi that only Sprint devices can register on. As the Westfield Mall in the Oculus at the WTC in NYC, their WiFi is connected to Boingo so Sprint phones will sometimes automatically connect to a password protected network inside that doesn't appear in the list of SSIDs.

That’s a good point. It was probably that.

Sprint should post signage about it in the areas that this is offered.

Anyone sign up for the Sensorly beta?
https://medium.com/sensorly/announcing-the-sensorly-beta-1534639d3e9c
It looks like they’ve added the ability to review trip mapping with signal strength depicted.

I have it on my iPhone. From what I have seen so far, nothing too different. I do like the more visible strength levels on the map without having to zoom in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bigmachine said:

It looks like they’ve added the ability to review trip mapping with signal strength depicted.

Yeah, I got it on Android. What I love most about it is that the map in the app is now more up to date and performs way better. Now I know that if I look at the map in my area, it'll show me data from the past year as opposed to from when Sprint first started deploying LTE and we first started to fill in the map with weak LTE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigmachine said:

Yep using it on my Galaxy S8 time to map map map! 

• Like 2

The new Sensorly is infinitely better than previous version. While mapping the walk to Starbucks and then to my campus, a 36 minute trip, Sensorly used 1% of my battery. 

It also shows you the points that you're mapping while you're travelling.

• Like 2