AT&T selling off 1,000,000,000 dollars in 600 MHz licenses

danlodish345

Found an interesting article on AT&T selling at 600 MHz licenses. I’ll post the link.  https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/at-t-looks-to-sell-600-mhz-spectrum-to-lb-license-co-for-nearly-1b

I think it’s due to their first Net project.

Regards daniel

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cubbiefan82 said:

I don't understand the value of this, it seems a little pricey to me. It has a few major cities, but they are all 10mhz markets in the major markets

It is valuable to somebody like Dish or Comcast that might want to beef up their presence in some of those markets.

It is valuable to somebody like Dish or Comcast that might want to beef up their presence in some of those markets.
Or T-Mobile, especially since they now would not have to buy it of AT&T.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Or T-Mobile, especially since they now would not have to buy it of AT&T.

I think that T-Mobile has plenty of 600Mhz spectrum. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

t mobile has nationwide 600, and don't really need much more right now. They may buy it, but honestly. I see them spending the money somewhere else

Just now, Cubbiefan82 said:

t mobile has nationwide 600, and don't really need much more right now. They may buy it, but honestly. I see them spending the money somewhere else

They dont need it at all...wouldnt that make email divest else where?

They dont need it at all...wouldnt that make email divest else where?
They would likely want it in markets where they are short of spectrum (at least low band spectrum).

They would likely want it in markets where they are short of spectrum (at least low band spectrum).

Very true indeed. I will be interested to see what happens. They have enough Spectrum already. But if they are short of it that's a different story.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The  transition of 600 MHz spectrum is starting to happen here.  The first bought out of 4 stations, WUAB, shut down their RF-28 transmitter on Monday and is now channel sharing with WOIO on high VHF:td:

For now they still have a translator in Akron on channel 24 until WEAO kicks them off.

i have mixed feelings about what I am saying but I think 600 is waaaaaay overrated. Yes it helps with coverage but it is clear the future is automated. Cars, refrigerators,phones, tablets Alexa and so forth. For this massive amount of data that will only continue to grow where does 600 fit if it has capacity setbacks? With cable in the mix the future will be small cell located at every street light/corner. 

I think Tmo mistake may have been to purchase the 600, they are clearly going for coverage to get themselves the same credibility as att/vzw. 

This may be a long term mistake as everyone is moving up.  Or it may work out for them long term, short term I don’t see any benefit of 600 with everyone racing to get 5g out. Maybe I am missing something 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dnicekid said:

i have mixed feelings about what I am saying but I think 600 is waaaaaay overrated. Yes it helps with coverage but it is clear the future is automated. Cars, refrigerators,phones, tablets Alexa and so forth. For this massive amount of data that will only continue to grow where does 600 fit if it has capacity setbacks? With cable in the mix the future will be small cell located at every street light/corner. 

I think Tmo mistake may have been to purchase the 600, they are clearly going for coverage to get themselves the same credibility as att/vzw. 

This may be a long term mistake as everyone is moving up.  Or it may work out for them long term, short term I don’t see any benefit of 600 with everyone racing to get 5g out. Maybe I am missing something 

I agree about the overrating.  My thought has been all along that density will be more the answer than wrestling away spectrum from someone every decade.  More density means spreading the load out more.  I think Sprint's 2.5 spectrum is more suited for small cells.  The range is limited enough that it gives a place like a neighborhood in a macro site dead spot good service without being overloaded.  Small cells don't need to cover several square miles.

• Like 1

For the the jury is still out on 600. T-mobile has a serious obsession with Verizon. They may get close to the coverage that they have but where T-Mobile still fails at is their reliability which I have yet to understand as to why at this point.

Something in me feels like when 5G starts to roll around, I think think Sprint will be one of the carriers that’s going to shine and will be one if not the fastest. I feel as though For them to deploy 5G, they will have an easier ride since their 2.5 is suited for it. No one is from the media, other carriers or their subs will admit to this but Sprint is definitely the carrier to watch for going into 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, derrph said:

Something in me feels like when 5G starts to roll around, I think think Sprint will be one of the carriers that’s going to shine and will be one if not the fastest. I feel as though For them to deploy 5G, they will have an easier ride since their 2.5 is suited for it. No one is from the media, other carriers or their subs will admit to this but Sprint is definitely the carrier to watch for going into 5G.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2018/01/10/3-predictions-for-telecommunications-and-enterprise-networking-in-2018/#44dadfb0776d

4 hours ago, derrph said:

For the the jury is still out on 600. T-mobile has a serious obsession with Verizon. They may get close to the coverage that they have but where T-Mobile still fails at is their reliability which I have yet to understand as to why at this point.

I couldn’t agree more, I know we have been waiting for sooo long but I feel when sprint hits the switch a lot of people will be shocked.

I disagree that 600 mhz is overrated at all. Is it the most important piece of spectrum for 5G? Not by a long stretch. But it does help bridge coverage gaps and does help stretch into new markets faster that it would not otherwise. I would say sprint severely lacks low bamd spectrum.

While Tmobile may be praising 600 mhz but that is because they are now able to truly say they have spectrum nationwide that they can build into new markets. Tmobile is in no way content with just 600 mhz. In fact they have been very vocal in pressing the FCC to open up 3.5 ghz and just the other day pressing the FCC to open up 28 ghz, 37 ghz and 40 ghz spectrum to be auctioned. Also they have been doing test trials of 3.5 ghz, 28 ghz spectrum and other spectrum bands for 5G.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, ericdabbs said:

I disagree that 600 mhz is overrated at all. Is it the most important piece of spectrum for 5G? Not by a long stretch. But it does help bridge coverage gaps and does help stretch into new markets faster that it would not otherwise. I would say sprint severely lacks low bamd spectrum.

While Tmobile may be praising 600 mhz but that is because they are now able to truly say they have spectrum nationwide that they can build into new markets. Tmobile is in no way content with just 600 mhz. In fact they have been very vocal in pressing the FCC to open up 3.5 ghz and just the other day pressing the FCC to open up 28 ghz, 37 ghz and 40 ghz spectrum to be auctioned. Also they have been doing test trials of 3.5 ghz, 28 ghz spectrum and other spectrum bands for 5G.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree with your points however you also pointed several others frequencies that may end up being more important than 600. Which is why I feel it might be overrated. It definitely has a role can’t argue it doesn’t. But I don’t see it playing a huge part in the future as we see the numbers are clearly going up for capacity.

Again, not saying it doesn’t have a place just wondering with the price paid for what it will probably be used for might make it overrated.

5 minutes ago, dnicekid said:

I agree with your points however you also pointed several others frequencies that may end up being more important than 600. Which is why I feel it might be overrated. It definitely has a role can’t argue it doesn’t. But I don’t see it playing a huge part in the future as we see the numbers are clearly going up for capacity.

Again, not saying it doesn’t have a place just wondering with the price paid for what it will probably be used for might make it overrated.

One thing for sure is that with 600 Mhz, they will definitely be able to deploy the 5G network faster and wider than with the high band frequencies and there are not any incumbent cellular technologies deployed at this point at 600 MHz.  I think that in itself will also pay dividends.  Just look what being the first to deploy 4G LTE quickly and widely did for Verizon back in 2010.  I am pretty sure that Sprint will not deploy 5G on its 800 MHz until a while since Sprint has CDMA and LTE deployed on it and their treasure trove of spectrum is in 2.5 GHz band is where I see Sprint first deploying 5G.  Again the problem with Sprint is that there is a lot of talk but not enough walk.  I still think that what Tmobile did with spending 8B for their average 35 MHz of 600 MHz was worth it.  Again we won't know until a few more years when TV stations vacate the 600 MHz spectrum. 

I am not saying that Sprint has doesn't have great potential with 2.5 GHz but even now it still has yet to fully bear fruit after 7 years of Network Vision.  Sprint is where they are at in 4th place with people bolting because of coverage and inconsistent capacity issues.  Lets hope that its true that Sprint and Masa are fully dedicated to competing and raising capex for the next few years to 5-6 billion because the 3 billion figure they had was surely not cutting it.  I would like to see 4 strong competitors rather than a weak Sprint and Tmobile.

36 minutes ago, ericdabbs said:

One thing for sure is that with 600 Mhz, they will definitely be able to deploy the 5G network faster and wider than with the high band frequencies and there are not any incumbent cellular technologies deployed at this point at 600 MHz.  I think that in itself will also pay dividends.  Just look what being the first to deploy 4G LTE quickly and widely did for Verizon back in 2010.  I am pretty sure that Sprint will not deploy 5G on its 800 MHz until a while since Sprint has CDMA and LTE deployed on it and their treasure trove of spectrum is in 2.5 GHz band is where I see Sprint first deploying 5G.  Again the problem with Sprint is that there is a lot of talk but not enough walk.  I still think that what Tmobile did with spending 8B for their average 35 MHz of 600 MHz was worth it.  Again we won't know until a few more years when TV stations vacate the 600 MHz spectrum. 

I am not saying that Sprint has doesn't have great potential with 2.5 GHz but even now it still has yet to fully bear fruit after 7 years of Network Vision.  Sprint is where they are at in 4th place with people bolting because of coverage and inconsistent capacity issues.  Lets hope that its true that Sprint and Masa are fully dedicated to competing and raising capex for the next few years to 5-6 billion because the 3 billion figure they had was surely not cutting it.  I would like to see 4 strong competitors rather than a weak Sprint and Tmobile.

I wasn’t even aware Tmo would roll out 5g first in 600! You’re right it could be huge for them.  I see everyone trying to get the high band for capacity so I was under the impression it would a must have for 5g. Low band would be the fall back