SturgeonGeneral

Galaxy S9 Series user thread

8 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Since no one posted it yet, here is Sprint's Galaxy S9/S9+ press release.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-is-best-place-to-get-samsung-galaxy-s9-and-galaxy-s9-with-best-price-for-unlimited.htm

I've pretty much already decided I am just going to finance the device through Samsung so my only question is, does anyone know if the unlocked model will have Sprint's bands available or will I have to purchase a Sprint specific model to use it on Sprint?

Did you look into best buy? They are offering $100 off financing the Sprint version of the phone as long as you preorder.

12 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Did you look into best buy? They are offering $100 off financing the Sprint version of the phone as long as you preorder.

Yeah but I'm going to be combining my student discount along with a phone trade-in to basically bring the price of the S9+ down to $453.24.

4 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Yeah but I'm going to be combining my student discount along with a phone trade-in to basically bring the price of the S9+ down to $453.24.

Look into best buy trade in deal, they are pretty generous.

• Like 1

Just reserved an unlocked phone direct from Samsung. With a trade in for my S7, the cost is $420. Looks like the best deal I can get. Any suggestions or disagreement?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

https://slickdeals.net/f/11313099-best-buy-samsung-galaxy-s9-s9-pre-order-100-off-up-to-350-trade-in-value-friday-3-2-18-in-store-only?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Looks like my cost would be $392 at Best Buy if I trade in my S7.

It says carrier financed, does that mean my $10 loyalty credit would also apply?

I really want an S8 Active, but they seem to be refusing to discount it. I dont know if I can pay MORE for an older model, even though I really want the better battery.

Does anyone know if the S9/S9+ will include the new GPS chip from Broadcom? I'm referring to the BCM47755 that was announced back in September. It's supposed to be accurate to 30 centimeters and use 50% less battery. I feel like Samsung would have made a bigger deal about it if it was included... But I'm still curious to see if anyone knows. Definitely looking forward to it though!

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/superaccurate-gps-chips-coming-to-smartphones-in-2018

5 hours ago, The AllSpark said:

Does anyone know if the S9/S9+ will include the new GPS chip from Broadcom? I'm referring to the BCM47755 that was announced back in September. It's supposed to be accurate to 30 centimeters and use 50% less battery. I feel like Samsung would have made a bigger deal about it if it was included... But I'm still curious to see if anyone knows. Definitely looking forward to it though!

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/superaccurate-gps-chips-coming-to-smartphones-in-2018

I think it would be tough to confirm this, but considering they barely mentioned the Qualcomm 845 CPU and X20 modems by name I wouldn't put it past them to house this GPS chip and not mention it once.

My biggest fear about purchasing unlocked is that my device will be nerfed somehow. Like HPUE won't work or Sprint won't let VoLTE work with unlocked devices. But I'm also not cool with paying a marked up price for the GS9+ from Sprint.

14 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

My biggest fear about purchasing unlocked is that my device will be nerfed somehow. Like HPUE won't work or Sprint won't let VoLTE work with unlocked devices. But I'm also not cool with paying a marked up price for the GS9+ from Sprint.

Conveniently enough my Note 8 has a weird black spot on the right-hand corner of the screen that just appeared today, so I'm considering picking up a GS9+ from BB for $812 bucks cant go wrong, and they are doing up to $350 for trade in..

With Samsung, it'll cost me $776 with a student discount and then $350 less with a device trade-in. Otherwise I would have definitely gone for Best Buy. I'll have to see what the discount gets me with a Sprint branded device from Samsung on Friday when the prices get put up on Samsung's site.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

With Samsung, it'll cost me $776 with a student discount and then $350 less with a device trade-in. Otherwise I would have definitely gone for Best Buy. I'll have to see what the discount gets me with a Sprint branded device from Samsung on Friday when the prices get put up on Samsung's site.

The question is, would you want to risk losing out on those Sprint-specific features to save $36?

24 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

The question is, would you want to risk losing out on those Sprint-specific features to save $36?

If I want to do yearly upgrades I'd have to pay another $5 per month extra. In my opinion, the lack of certain features is worth the savings of $96 over a year.

Also the Samsung site just got updated and after pricing it there, it'd still be cheaper for me to finance through Samsung for a Sprint branded model by about $2.07 every month and I'd be getting yearly upgrades included.

12 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

If I want to do yearly upgrades I'd have to pay another $5 per month extra. In my opinion, the lack of certain features is worth the savings of $96 over a year.

Also the Samsung site just got updated and after pricing it there, it'd still be cheaper for me to finance through Samsung for a Sprint branded model by about $2.07 every month and I'd be getting yearly upgrades included.

As long as it's a Sprint branded model it sounds like a solid deal. If not, I'd be hard-pressed to even consider it until I knew for sure features like calling plus, 4x4 mimo on b41, 4xca and HPUE were active.

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

As long as it's a Sprint branded model it sounds like a solid deal. If not, I'd be hard-pressed to even consider it until I knew for sure features like calling plus, 4x4 mimo on b41, 4xca and HPUE were active.

Someone over on the Sprint subreddit mentioned that the unlocked S9/S9+ is supposed to come with 3xCA initially and 4xCA enabled with a software update at a later date. I might wait a couple of weeks and see before I bite the bullet.

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

Someone over on the Sprint subreddit mentioned that the unlocked S9/S9+ is supposed to come with 3xCA initially and 4xCA enabled with a software update at a later date. I might wait a couple of weeks and see before I bite the bullet.

That's not unlike the way Sprint has handled devices previously. So maybe that would apply for the Sprint branded device as well.

Can't wait for all the pre-order complaints about I should have ordered through samsung or I should have ordered through sprint or why my status hasn't updated yet on the sprint website.....etc. Every year its the same thing, LOL. I find it hilarious.

Yeah i never buy anything when it first comes out, least of all electronics of any sort. The reasons are obvious and overwhelming. 

Let the others suffer the bugs for your own eventual, calculated benefit.

• Like 2

I've decided to wait on purchasing the device but I just went on Samsung's site for the hell of it and the unlocked GS9+ is already sold out after 4 minutes. The Sprint version is still available though.

Edit: Looks like more are in stock now.

I pre-ordered, if anything goes wrong then there is a warranty for that. 

• Like 1

Preordered the Unlocked GS9+ from Best Buy. Giving my GS8+ to my mother & trading in the GS7 Edge for $300.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Got my pre-order in, wasn't gonna upgrade but it's a good deal I'll be saving $20 every month and the $350 trade-in so it doesn't make sense not to do the free upgrade. So got a S9+ Coral Blue. :D

Edited by BlueAngel

I pre-ordered an S9+ from Best Buy along with some other accessories. I talked to a rep and he said that the discounts will appear when the phone is picked up. Is that what others are seeing who purchased on Friday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Will the unlocked version work fine with all carriers? Will there be missing features?

3 hours ago, Tajustin95 said:

Will the unlocked version work fine with all carriers? Will there be missing features?

Because of the amount of new technologies Sprint will be implementing on the network this year, we won't know until they activate it. For now, all we know is that HPUE works on unlocked Samsung devices and that folks have found a workaround to get Calling Plus to work on unlocked GS8 devices that might work on unlocked GS9 devices.

I have a friend who went to MWC and she played with the S9. Her comments were it felt cheap which has me a little worried, I hope that isn't the case. But then again she worked at Nokia who built solid phones. I guess only time will tell.