Voice Call Continuity (VCC)

ZebraDude

**Update: Starting with iOS 11, iPhone 6 and newer devices are now enabled with Voice Call Continuity (VCC).  VCC allows a call initiated on WiFi to hand off to LTE and back to WiFi, while also permitting the user to access some data functionality.  With VCC, a call will never start on LTE so data will be unavailable when a call starts in an LTE area. 

These devices have VCC already enabled:

• iPhone 6 devices and newer on IOS 11
  • LG X Charge
  • LG V20
  • LG V30+
  • Essential
  • Samsung J3 Emerge

*I had previously listed Note 8, which was incorrect.  The device is expected to get it very soon and I will update when I am notified.

VCC is a separate function from CallingPLUS but accomplishes some of the same goals.  **

Sprint is excited to announce a new solution which allows customers to use voice and data simultaneously while on the Sprint LTE network or WiFi.  Calling PLUS has just been enabled on the following devices:

Samsung J7 Perx

LG Stylo 3

Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+

LG G6

What you need to know:

Calling PLUS combines two features: one old and one brand new!

• WiFi calling - our VoIP calling feature that lets you make and receive calls over WiFi
  • Voice and text on the Sprint LTE network, allowing simultaneous voice and data

Calling PLUS is delivered to your device by software update.  Once your device has received the software, set up is easy!

1. On the phone, select Settings > Calling PLUS.
  2. Slide Calling PLUS to On.
  3. Customer can view Tutorial pages to learn more information about the service.
  4. View pre-populated address
    • If the Country field says Non-USA, Select the Country and choose USA.
    • Enter a USA address manually.
    • If address is not shown or is incorrect, enter the address manually.
    • Address must be within the USA.
  5. Select Save.
    • Your phone will validate the address required for E911 service and completes the enablement of Calling PLUS.
  6. Select Calling PLUS options to enable each feature:
    • Wi-Fi Calling is On by default.
    • LTE Calling is optional but recommended to allow both Simultaneous Voice and Data and call handoffs between Wi-Fi Calling and LTE Calling.
    • Call handoffs will go from Wi-Fi to LTE even if the LTE Calling switch is Off.  LTE Calls require the Wi-Fi Calling switch to be turned On for a handoff to Wi-Fi.

That's it!  Your phone is now enabled for Calling PLUS.  You can call anyone using Calling PLUS, the person or party that you're calling does not need to have Calling PLUS in order for it to work.

Keep in mind: 

• Calling PLUS is included free of charge with your Sprint plan, though data usage does count toward any metered data allotment.
  • Calling PLUS is a only available to select devices at this time and only in areas with LTE service.  We will add more device models over time.
    • Current devices:  LG Stylo 3, Samsung J7 Perx
  • Calling PLUS is not a VoLTE solution and call quality can vary based on location and network conditions.
  • Calling PLUS is only supported on the Sprint LTE network and will not work over roaming partner networks. 
  • Calls initiated while on LTE will not hand off to CDMA towers.  When leaving an LTE area, such a call may drop.
  • Like 3

I know about the handoff from WiFi to LTE. I was on a WiFi call that carried over to LTE because I went out of WiFi range. The called continued on LTE. The called then dropped after about 5 minutes. The person called right back within seconds. I was able to answer a voLTE call. I wasn’t able to duplicate it. That was the one and only time that has happened.

7555313420ce6f82c9d08b2948cfa66a.jpg

• Like 1

I know about the handoff from WiFi to LTE. I was on a WiFi call that carried over to LTE because I went out of WiFi range. The called continued on LTE. The called then dropped after about 5 minutes. The person called right back within seconds. I was able to answer a voLTE call. I wasn’t able to duplicate it. That was the one and only time that has happened.

7555313420ce6f82c9d08b2948cfa66a.jpg
I can't wait for real VOLTE like the other carriers use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2