Sign in to follow this  
burnout8488

Apple Watch Poor LTE Performance

My day 1 impressions of the AW LTE is that it can't grab LTE very well. In my home with completely usable band 26 on my iPhone, the watch struggles to find a signal. If I go outside, it will manage to connect, but still doesn't have great signal strength. (Though it is usable)

I'm hoping a carrier/modem update fixes this soon, but if it's inherent with the antenna design, I'm going to have to return it. It doesn't get LTE at all at my gym where my phone *does*, and that's the whole reason I got the LTE model.

Is there an avenue where I can log this with Apple in the hopes for a fix?

I'm not an apple person, but is there a chance it's not latching onto B26? I could see how that could really limit your range. Otherwise, that's not good if its radio is that weak. 

30 minutes ago, Galaxyguy said:

I'm not an apple person, but is there a chance it's not latching onto B26? I could see how that could really limit your range. Otherwise, that's not good if its radio is that weak. 

It really seems like it - this whole experience is taking me back to the coverage when this area only had B25. It performs exactly as if B26 isn't working at all, but there's no way to know. Or, the radio is just poor.

I hope others are able to chime in with similar findings.

I have watched several youtube videos on experience so far and there are pros and cons.  One video stated that Apple admitted to a wifi bug with the watch.  I would think that Apple would release OS updates very soon to address some of the issues.

I'm getting about 2 bars on my watch. I expected low signal as Sprint LTE is still pretty thin in my Neighborhood and sadly the Apple Watch does not have EVDO/1X Radios. My iPhone is on EVDO about half of the time. 

Ended up returning my watch. The signal issue was a little ridiculous, it's just way too weak to be useful indoors. If I exercised more outside rather than in a gym, I could justify it.

My wife and I are still rocking the series 0 watches, and will for sure be going to to a S3 watch.  Undecided still on whether or not to get the LTE version. :-/

Apple has release WatchOS 4.0.1 to address LTE connectivity issues for Watch Series 3 owners. If anyone here has/still has their LTE Series 3, make sure to use the Watch app on your iPhone to update to the latest software.

-Anthony

Well... I pulled the trigger yesterday.  Walked into Target with my family and noticed an LTE Apple Watch on display.  Went to the glass cabinet where they keep the Apple products under lock and key, and there was a damn 42mm Apple Watch LTE in Space Grey IN STOCK.  

I had originally wanted the SS version, but they seem to be out of stock until November everywhere, so I decided to go ahead with the Aluminum version.  Got it all set up yesterday and have had no major issues.  The sign up with Sprint (to get it added to our account) was simple, and I first tested the ‘LTE’ of the Watch this morning.  It was both an odd feeling and liberating to leave the house without my phone.  Haha.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, shaferz said:

Well... I pulled the trigger yesterday.  Walked into Target with my family and noticed an LTE Apple Watch on display.  Went to the glass cabinet where they keep the Apple products under lock and key, and there was a damn 42mm Apple Watch LTE in Space Grey IN STOCK.  

I had originally wanted the SS version, but they seem to be out of stock until November everywhere, so I decided to go ahead with the Aluminum version.  Got it all set up yesterday and have had no major issues.  The sign up with Sprint (to get it added to our account) was simple, and I first tested the ‘LTE’ of the Watch this morning.  It was both an odd feeling and liberating to leave the house without my phone.  Haha.

Nice find!!