Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

On 1/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, ingenium said:

1x hands off from an Airave to the macro network, but not the other way around. VoLTE will handoff in both directions. Calling+ does this now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Does the Pixel 2 support Calling+ and/or WiFi Calling on Sprint?

Does the Pixel 2 support Calling+ and/or WiFi Calling on Sprint?

No. It's supposedly being worked on, but nothing is even in testing yet from what I've heard. So it won't be anytime soon...

Sprint claims they can't add custom software on Google devices, yet Google has a complete framework for doing this very thing that they deployed a few years ago and have continued to expand with each Android revision. Verizon, T-Mobile, and other carriers seem to have no problem getting their custom software on it for VoLTE and wifi calling. Sprint also has Sprint DM for hands free activation on Pixel devices, so I think that excuse is BS.

• Confused 1

It seems that, at least in Pittsburgh, the Airave uses its own CDMA channels, different from the macro. Pittsburgh has C+G block B25, and then another contiguous 10x10 before it (for a total of 20x20 contiguous). The macro has 3 CDMA carriers in the first 5 MHz of this, then there's 5 MHz unused, and then 10x10 LTE (confirmed with spectrum analyzer).

The Airave broadcasts its evdo carrier in this unused 5 MHz (channel 975), but its 1x1900 is overlapping the B25 carrier and extends into the unused 5 MHz block (channel 1100). It's partially in the LTE guard band. LTE is 1985 MHz - 1995 MHz, and the 1x carrier is centered at 1985 MHz. Odd that they wouldn't shift the 1x carrier to be somewhere else in the unused 5 MHz block. I wonder if this is just an oversight, the result of legacy channel assignments, or a sign that Sprint is going to attempt to put 1x in LTE guard bands in the future like T-Mobile does with GSM?

When Sprint eventually adds another 5x5 or extends the 10x10 to 15x15, they'll have to make the Airave share CDMA channels with the macro I assume. Or else try to put it in guard bands.

I wonder if the Airave has its own CDMA channels in markets without unused spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...
Ended up picking up a Airave 3. How is everyone liking theirs?
Very happy with mine, at first it was hard to get my Pixel to use it for calls instead of the very weak 1x800 macro signal, but they must have tweaked something because it's great now. The B41 is great and it's also a WiFi router if you choose to use it.

-Mike

Very happy with mine, at first it was hard to get my Pixel to use it for calls instead of the very weak 1x800 macro signal, but they must have tweaked something because it's great now. The B41 is great and it's also a WiFi router if you choose to use it.

-Mike
My Pixel is back on 1x800 :-( I temporarily disabled BC10 to kick it to the Airave, but 2 days later it was back on 1x800. For almost the first 2 months it worked great and stayed on the Airave. I might have to just keep 1x800 disabled and reboot and enable it just when I'm in low signal areas. Sucks that that even has to be done... Inherent problem to constant SRLTE devices I guess

My Pixel is back on 1x800 :-( I temporarily disabled BC10 to kick it to the Airave, but 2 days later it was back on 1x800. For almost the first 2 months it worked great and stayed on the Airave. I might have to just keep 1x800 disabled and reboot and enable it just when I'm in low signal areas. Sucks that that even has to be done... Inherent problem to constant SRLTE devices I guess

If force it my Pixel onto 3G, it won't let go of the 1x800 if it's connected to it.. but if I'm on the Airave's B41, it drops to the Airave 1X connection 100% of them time when I make a call.

-Mike

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Handyman said:

If you have an Airave 3 LTE and plug in a MagicBox nearby (i.e., with purpose to extend the range of the Airave in an area with no macro signal), will this do the trick?

No.  The Magic Box will only interface with a Cell site.

• 1 month later...

Crossposting from Reddit.... Cliff's notes:

Gf's brother called to exchange his Airave 3 LTE last night and was informed that Sprint discontinued it on March 5th 2018. They are encouraging customers to use Wi-Fi calling instead. 

Is this true? 

EDIT: It's true! No more Airave 3. This leaves a notable gap before VoLTE is enabled, but shouldn't be much of an issue if you have a modern device this Fall. (Wi-Fi calling/VoLTE should eliminate the need for CDMA) 

• 2 weeks later...

My Pixel is refusing to drop fringe 1X800 and connect to my Airave 3 again. It was an issue when I first received it, but resolved itself and has been awesome for months.. all of a suddenly it's doing it again. I left it plugged in with SCP running for 6+ hours about 10 feet from the Airave tonight and 1X would not connect to it. EV-DO and LTE grab it almost immediately. I know wifi calling / VoLTE is coming, but in the meantime I hope they don't give up on the Airave, some of us need it!

-Mike

My Pixel is refusing to drop fringe 1X800 and connect to my Airave 3 again. It was an issue when I first received it, but resolved itself and has been awesome for months.. all of a suddenly it's doing it again. I left it plugged in with SCP running for 6+ hours about 10 feet from the Airave tonight and 1X would not connect to it. EV-DO and LTE grab it almost immediately. I know wifi calling / VoLTE is coming, but in the meantime I hope they don't give up on the Airave, some of us need it!
-Mike
Go into DATA and disable BC10. Your phone will reboot, and you'll be back on the Airave. Then go back into DATA and turn it back on. It'll reboot again, but you'll stay on 1x1900. Hopefully it doesn't require this every time you leave your house, but if so maybe just leave 1x800 disabled.

Sucky work around, but the only other alternative is to edit the PRL which doesn't seem possible on these newer devices. Too bad they got rid of the 800 beacon.

• Like 1

Sometime yesterday while I was at work, the net light went solid red on the LTE side, but is still functioning normally. I connect right away to the airave LTE and stay connected, with no speed issues. Anybody else come across this scenario?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sometime yesterday while I was at work, the net light went solid red on the LTE side, but is still functioning normally. I connect right away to the airave LTE and stay connected, with no speed issues. Anybody else come across this scenario?

Mine has been doing that all week. GPS also goes red on the LTE side but not the CDMA side.

3 hours ago, travisc said:

I've had this too, I just restarted the Airave and everything been corrected.

On 4/7/2018 at 3:08 AM, mikejeep said:

-Mike

hey mike,

had the same issue with both of my pixel 2's. locked onto a -105 1x800. i heard this is common on the pixels (apparently gen1 too). anyways, after a couple days, both were back on the -70 1900 1xRTT...

• Like 1

• lilotimz unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone else having issues with their Airave 3 LTE going red daily?
Nope. I did for a period a while ago, but a power cycle fixed it.

6 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Nope. I did for a period a while ago, but a power cycle fixed it.

I have to power cycle it every morning, but it's just LTE, the CDMA is all green. 

Make sure if the airave is attached to your router and you have qos on the router.  Give the airave highest priority.  After I had done that my airave stop disconnecting.

9 hours ago, runagun said:

Make sure if the airave is attached to your router and you have qos on the router.  Give the airave highest priority.  After I had done that my airave stop disconnecting.

Its just the LTE side, nothing else. I use eero as my router so they have different options.