iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

On 11/3/2017 at 8:52 PM, greenbastard said:

Too late. I gave up. I wasted over 2 hours trying to figure this out for someone else.

I learned today that I am an Android user through and through :D. Nice phone, terrible software.

I know this is much too late, but this probably happened because your X was on an older version of iOS than your backup. My X came with 11.0.2 installed but my backup was from 11.1. So I setup my X as new and updated it to 11.1 before restoring the backup from iTunes. Apple should have made this issue much clearer and had steps in place to guide the user through it. 

• Like 4

I know this is much too late, but this probably happened because your X was on an older version of iOS than your backup. My X came with 11.0.2 installed but my backup was from 11.1. So I setup my X as new and updated it to 11.1 before restoring the backup from iTunes. Apple should have made this issue much clearer and had steps in place to guide the user through it. 

I ran into that same issue going from my 7Plus to 8Plus and handled it the same way.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, anthony.spina97 said:

Ordered my 256 GB Space Grey X on Wednesday the 1st from Sprint with a ship date of 11/14. It is on the truck for delivery today! Not bad Sprint!

-Anthony

Congrats.  Ordered a new iPhone today from Apple.  Currently the expected delivery date is 12/7. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anthony.spina97 said:

Ordered my 256 GB Space Grey X on Wednesday the 1st from Sprint with a ship date of 11/14. It is on the truck for delivery today! Not bad Sprint!

-Anthony

Congrats! I think you'll love the X. I'm enjoying mine and its refreshing new way of using an iPhone with the swipe gestures. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anthony.spina97 said:

Absolutley loving the X. Wow, this screen! So cool learning to use my iPhone in different ways than before, yet it feeling so familiar and intuitive.

-Anthony

I'm still waiting to try mine tomorrow. My mother is putting the case on the X then, and hopefully I'll get actual new 10ft Lightning cords from Amazon tomorrow. She had to call Amazon yesterday to get them to send new ones, because the ones they sent us which arrived yesterday were used products with a bunch of cheap Scotch tape on opened packaging. The items were directly from the Amazon warehouse, not from a third party.

I need them for the car, because instead of my having to worry about battery life, , I have a five port car charger. I also got a fancy call/volume capable charger dongle for it that I'm going to use for the aux car speaker system.

Really bad situation... My mother got the case on the phone, the X, and it turned on automatically, but she can't get the phone to turn off. The executive response guy can't do anything to help us, because there isn't anything in stock now probably for several weeks. I can't understand why Apple would make a nearly $1200 phone that turns on by itself and won't turn off.

Really bad situation... My mother got the case on the phone, the X, and it turned on automatically, but she can't get the phone to turn off. The executive response guy can't do anything to help us, because there isn't anything in stock now probably for several weeks. I can't understand why Apple would make a nearly $1200 phone that turns on by itself and won't turn off.

Try holding down the power button and volume up at the same time. If that doesn’t work try the power button and volume down.
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Try holding down the power button and volume up at the same time. If that doesn’t work try the power button and volume down.

I was reading about that earlier today with how the side button setup is varied differently and how some people who can't get use to it are returning the device, but to me it actually seemed like a nice feature to avoid having mistaken power shutoffs with sensitivity on these phones becoming more of an issue lately.

However, my mother still is on the phone with T-Mobile (I called out to her from upstairs to talk about the power button issue, which apparently they already went through trying to do it, to no success). I really don't want to settle for an iPhone 8 just to have iOS now, and going back to Android is something I really don't want to do either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

It's power button and volume down -- hold for 3-5 sec

Volume Up is screenshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the advice. Although this was tried by the conversation/tech support on the phone she tried earlier to no avail. Again, I really like the added accidental shut off features, which hopefully will even help to make the power button more resilient over time - something that my badly aging Microsoft Lumia 950xl could have used, as well as whatever features to prevent the frequent "freezing" the device encounters, but thats a separate issue of the 950xl.

The real problem is the high demand of the x causing an issue for situations where there is a technical glitch beyond repair like this, then its a matter of either waiting for several weeks for a replacement, or getting a refund for something else. Thing is, there isn't getting something else with a device as premium as the iPhone X, especially when there are vast differences between iOS and Android, with iOS being so much better for those who do not want to deal with a complex mobile OS as Android. I don't want to spend several hours having to go through hundreds of settings to get the phone doing or not doing certain things. Android is nice for those wanting customizations, but for those who want a nice, simple functionality, iOS is it - but sadly the only other option

There really needs to be more competition in OS software.

1 hour ago, Arysyn said:

Run the battery down completely.

9 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Run the battery down completely.

That would turn it off, but I really don't want to have to do that every time I want it to turn off, especially if for some reason the phone does freeze, its nice relying on the power button to get it restarted. It seems like I have to use the Lumia power button at least once or twice every day to get the phone to unfreeze, but at least the power button functions.

I've searched around Google the past hour or so to read anyone else having issues, which while I'm not finding anything about the power button, there are quite a few complaints about the screen responsiveness and screen freezing, similar to issues I've had from the Lumia. There were alot from T-Mobile customers, who didn't seem to respond with resolution updates.

Though it seemed those who bought from Apple were able to go to Apple stores for replacement. I ended up writing an email to the John Legere email account, because the executive response person my mother spoke to had no resolution for this. Its really disappointing, especially since most of the representatives from there have been very helpful lately and they actually got the preorder right this time.

6 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I'm thinking how nice it would be if the problem actually was freezing, like what often happens on my Lumia. Although right now I imagine the iPhone X battery likely is empty by now not having turned off. The problem definitely is with the power button. Another thing that might even be welcomed is if the case were interfering with the proximity sensor. I had that happen With the Nexus 6 I had from Sprint that otherwise was a good phone (had some software issues though)

Thank you for the links though, RedSpark. I'm considering if I had got this directly from Apple, getting a new one wouldn't be so difficult from what I've been reading. T-Mobile however with their generous discounts, doesn't seem to take into consideration these problems and the ability to get a replacement, despite being a popular phone. I am hoping to get a helpful response from the email I sent to the Legere account. Possibly something can be done from there.

There isn't a power button. The "power button" is now a Siri or Apple pay button.

Does the "power button" activate Siri?

Does the volume down button work on its own?

My assumption is the case your using is at fault.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnner1999 said:

There isn't a power button. The "power button" is now a Siri or Apple pay button.

Does the "power button" activate Siri?

Does the volume down button work on its own?

My assumption is the case your using is at fault.

Its the button meant for powering off is what I was referring to. As I said, the executive response representative went through this with my mother.

By the way, the case is the official Apple leather case, not one from a third party. So, I really doubt that would be an issue.

Also, my mother was just here talking with me more in-depth about the phone conversation with the T-Mobile representative earlier. I asked her to tell me what exactly he told her to try, which was everything suggested in this thread so far. Not only did using the button system not work, but it didn't even process to a screen with an Apple logo as the representative asked her to try and see if it would after holding the button a certain way.

If anything were different where it didn't sound as everything were tried and done correctly, I might try it myself. Although from the way it sounds, I might not even have the finger dexterity to do so.

• Like 1

Its the button meant for powering off is what I was referring to. As I said, the executive response representative went through this with my mother.
By the way, the case is the official Apple leather case, not one from a third party. So, I really doubt that would be an issue.
Also, my mother was just here talking with me more in-depth about the phone conversation with the T-Mobile representative earlier. I asked her to tell me what exactly he told her to try, which was everything suggested in this thread so far. Not only did using the button system not work, but it didn't even process to a screen with an Apple logo as the representative asked her to try and see if it would after holding the button a certain way.
If anything were different where it didn't sound as everything were tried and done correctly, I might try it myself. Although from the way it sounds, I might not even have the finger dexterity to do so.

Even though it’s an Apple case. You should still try using the phone with the case off. Apple isn’t perfect they could have made a mistake. I haven’t seen any reports of defective power buttons or displays not powering off.
  • Like 1

I have decided the X has the radio of the iphone 5. terrible. Part of me wants to go back to my 7+.  Need a carrier update right away. I am on 30.0.

What's the current version?

I'm on 30.0 as well. Ironically I feel my X is great with service.

43 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

could be that ABQ is still really bad.  Band 26 is everywhere but the X doesn't want to hold on to it. It drops to 3G all the time.

58 minutes ago, jroepcke51 said:

I have decided the X has the radio of the iphone 5. terrible. Part of me wants to go back to my 7+.  Need a carrier update right away. I am on 30.0.

49 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

There was an update to 30.1 when I updated my 6S+ to iOS 11.1.  I was promted as soon as the update for iOS was complete.  maybe that will help.  PRL is 55064

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Dean said:

There was an update to 30.1 when I updated my 6S+ to iOS 11.1.  I was promted as soon as the update for iOS was complete.  maybe that will help.

Ok I did ##update# to see if I could get an update.