iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

Either Sprint got a generous stock of iPhones or the iPhone X hype was extremely overblown. If you go to the "My Order" page and scroll to the bottom, the Space Gray and Silver 64 GB + Silver 256 GB are available for shipping on Nov 3. Only the Space Gray 256 GB seems to ship at a later day (Nov 14).

Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 1

Either Sprint got a generous stock of iPhones or the iPhone X hype was extremely overblown. If you go to the "My Order" page and scroll to the bottom, the Space Gray and Silver 64 GB + Silver 256 GB are available for shipping on Nov 3. Only the Space Gray 256 GB seems to ship at a later day (Nov 14).

Sadly I believe it’s a Sprint thing. Apple is targeting late December for most carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Johnner1999 said:

Sadly I believe it’s a Sprint thing. Apple is targeting late December for most carriers.

Maybe the slow website put off a lot of people. Combine heavy website traffic with an already slow website full of layers on top of layers and you got a recipe for a disaster. With most of their stock still showing as shipping by Nov 3, I hope they don't get slaughtered by journalists.

• Like 2

Maybe the slow website put off a lot of people. Combine heavy website traffic with an already slow website full of layers on top of layers and you got a recipe for a disaster. With most of their stock still showing as shipping by Nov 3, I hope they don't get slaughtered by journalists.

I feel as though they need to be called out on this. I’m sure the other carrier had problems and that’s to be expected but Sprint was just on a whole other level with the maintenance, over 2k orders got cancelled in the system and whatever else that went on. That’s the reason why shipping times are still good over at Sprint. They really have to do better. They really have to do something with that site ASAP. That’s ridiculous with the amount of past layers and looping.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, derrph said:

I feel as though they need to be called out on this. I’m sure the other carrier had problems and that’s to be expected but Sprint was just on a whole other level with the maintenance, over 2k orders got cancelled in the system and whatever else that went on. That’s the reason why shipping times are still good over at Sprint. They really have to do better. They really have to do something with that site ASAP. That’s ridiculous with the amount of past layers and looping.

Looks like they finally ran out of their initial stock. Any orders past 5 PM today for both 64GB models will now ship by November 14.

Edited by greenbastard

Looks like they finally ran out of their initial stock. Any orders past 5 PM today for both 64GB models will now ship by November 14.

That’s still good in comparison to the other carriers and Apple. But we all know why. I’m glad to see the dates finally slip.

• Like 2

I went insane as I was NOT planning to upgrade my iPhone this year. I have an 7 plus 256 matte black. I succumbed to the preorder day excitement on the 27th and first tried to order on X on Apple’s site could not due to an incompatible plan so I tried Sprint. I still have 11 months on my commitment ( yes I still can use contracts, SERO P )

I ran into a credit card fraud issue in the wee hours of the morning so I had gotten control of myself and headed to bed. I cleared up the fraud issue early in the morning.

I went to Sprint’s site and ordered an Space Gray 256G X at full price at 740am. Not sure what I can do with my 7 Plus as it is locked till contract is over then it’s fully mine.

The kicker is I got a ship notice from Sprint on Saturday with a delivery date of the 30th.

I don’t believe the delivery date as I checked UPS and they have the launch date quote of the 3rd.

I never thought you could get this one this fast.

Now I need to get a case this week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I went insane as I was NOT planning to upgrade my iPhone this year. I have an 7 plus 256 matte black. I succumbed to the preorder day excitement on the 27th and first tried to order on X on Apple’s site could not due to an incompatible plan so I tried Sprint. I still have 11 months on my commitment ( yes I still can use contracts, SERO P )

I ran into a credit card fraud issue in the wee hours of the morning so I had gotten control of myself and headed to bed. I cleared up the fraud issue early in the morning.

I went to Sprint’s site and ordered an Space Gray 256G X at full price at 740am. Not sure what I can do with my 7 Plus as it is locked till contract is over then it’s fully mine.

The kicker is I got a ship notice from Sprint on Saturday with a delivery date of the 30th.

I don’t believe the delivery date as I checked UPS and they have the launch date quote of the 3rd.

I never thought you could get this one this fast.

Now I need to get a case this week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got one better. I placed a upgrade when preorders opened and the order said it went though but didn’t so I then placed a new order online and $20 for both orders got desiccated. Called in the morning around 8 and they couldn’t see the second order so I placed a third order and that one went through. I got many emails about the first two orders no going though. So last night I got 3 emails saying my 3 orders shipped. I have 3 iPhone X’s coming on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/31/apple-qualcomm-iphone-chips/

They add that Qualcomm has been withholding software for testing in prototypes of Apple's flagship devices, which will likely further dent relations between the two firms”

and

“For its part, Qualcomm said that its modem for the next-gen iPhone has "already been fully tested and released to Apple." It added that it's "committed to supporting Apple's new devices."”

I think they’re referring to the Intel XMM 7560 Modem.

It’s the first Intel Modem to have support for CDMA.

Otherwise, I believe the next iPhone will have the Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 Modem.

Edited by RedSpark
Fixed Intel Modem Model Number and added info for clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

They add that Qualcomm has been withholding software for testing in prototypes of Apple's flagship devices, which will likely further dent relations between the two firms”

and

“For its part, Qualcomm said that its modem for the next-gen iPhone has "already been fully tested and released to Apple." It added that it's "committed to supporting Apple's new devices."”

I think they’re referring to the Intel XMM7650 Modem.

It’s the first Intel Modem to have support for CDMA.

I really do not like Qualcomm, both due to the various business practices I've read about online and their general strategy of releasing underperforming chipsets in contrast with Apple devices. Its something I've been following for quite some time and have dreaded having to own a device with their chip just to get the emulator apps Android has, which I've also greatly disliked using Android. It all figured into my decision to just drop having emulator compatibility on my phone, rather get a portable gaming laptop instead, then switch fully over to Apple iPhone. I really don't mind if iPhone uses the Intel modem anyways, as its not like I'll be able to get over 300 mbps wirelessly over mobile anytime soon as it is.

21 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

I really do not like Qualcomm, both due to the various business practices I've read about online and their general strategy of releasing underperforming chipsets in contrast with Apple devices. Its something I've been following for quite some time and have dreaded having to own a device with their chip just to get the emulator apps Android has, which I've also greatly disliked using Android. It all figured into my decision to just drop having emulator compatibility on my phone, rather get a portable gaming laptop instead, then switch fully over to Apple iPhone. I really don't mind if iPhone uses the Intel modem anyways, as its not like I'll be able to get over 300 mbps wirelessly over mobile anytime soon as it is.

It's not just the speed of the modem. People on other carriers have reported that the Intel Modems in Apple devices doesn't acquire or hold onto LTE as well as the Qualcomm Modems.

In order to keep the Qualcomm X16 Modem from outperforming the Intel 7480 Modem in the iPhone 8, 8+, and X, Apple intentionally crippled the X16 feature set.

The same was true for the Qualcomm X12 Modem and the Intel 7360 Modem in the iPhone 7, 7 Plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

It's not just the speed of the modem. People on other carriers have reported that the Intel Modems in Apple devices doesn't acquire or hold onto LTE as well as the Qualcomm Modems.

In order to keep the Qualcomm X16 Modem from outperforming the Intel 7480 Modem in the iPhone 8, 8+, and X, Apple intentionally crippled the X16 feature set.

The same was true for the Qualcomm X12 Modem and the Intel 7360 Modem in the iPhone 7, 7 Plus.

Hopefully that will change with the iPhone X. I'd hate to be having connection problems on the device, especially considering the cost of it, despite the discounts T-Mobile is offering to me. Engadget reports that Apple might be dropping Qualcomm, so Intel ought to be making sure their modems perform better.

T-Mobile finally got my device pre-order process done correctly this time around, unlike the Samsung S7 and Note 7 attempts I made with them that had me switching away from T-Mobile after those issues.

I'm getting the Space Gray iPhone X 256gb, which is arriving tomorrow, Friday November 3. I also ordered the Black Leather Case from Apple, which also is arriving tomorrow.

However, the case I really wanted was the Catalyst waterproof case, but on the Catalyst website it notes that the case won't be available to ship until January. Considering the high cost of the iPhone X, I figured I needed a case for it much sooner, though I still plan on purchasing the Catalyst case in January.

Anyone else getting their shipment of the iPhone X tomorrow? What is the shipping arrangements with Sprint for it? The one downside with T-Mobile (in my opinion), is they use UPS, which means I'll have to wait until later in the evening quite likely for it, whereas if it shipped FedEx, I'd likely get it before noon.

On 10/31/2017 at 11:58 AM, Arysyn said:

Hopefully that will change with the iPhone X. I'd hate to be having connection problems on the device, especially considering the cost of it, despite the discounts T-Mobile is offering to me. Engadget reports that Apple might be dropping Qualcomm, so Intel ought to be making sure their modems perform better.

I recall hearing through the grapevine that Apple was sending/loaning engineers to Intel in order to help them improve their Modem Technology for use in Apple devices.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

T-Mobile finally got my device pre-order process done correctly this time around, unlike the Samsung S7 and Note 7 attempts I made with them that had me switching away from T-Mobile after those issues.

I'm getting the Space Gray iPhone X 256gb, which is arriving tomorrow, Friday November 3. I also ordered the Black Leather Case from Apple, which also is arriving tomorrow.

However, the case I really wanted was the Catalyst waterproof case, but on the Catalyst website it notes that the case won't be available to ship until January. Considering the high cost of the iPhone X, I figured I needed a case for it much sooner, though I still plan on purchasing the Catalyst case in January.

Anyone else getting their shipment of the iPhone X tomorrow? What is the shipping arrangements with Sprint for it? The one downside with T-Mobile (in my opinion), is they use UPS, which means I'll have to wait until later in the evening quite likely for it, whereas if it shipped FedEx, I'd likely get it before noon.

I believe the AT&T/T-Mobile version of the iPhone X has the Intel Modem. The Sprint/Verizon/Unlocked version has the Qualcomm Modem.

What this means is that you can't bring your T-Mobile iPhone X over to a CDMA carrier like Sprint/Verizon.

• Like 1

I believe the AT&T/T-Mobile version of the iPhone X has the Intel Modem. The Sprint/Verizon/Unlocked version has the Qualcomm Modem.
What this means is that you can't bring your T-Mobile iPhone X over to a CDMA carrier like Sprint/Verizon.

And I believe the gsm model lacks band 41 besides the CDMA portion.

2 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

And I believe the gsm model lacks band 41 besides the CDMA portion.

Band 41 TD-LTE is supported on both models. Model A1901 lacks support for CDMA.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

Model A1865*

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)

TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)

TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Model A1901*

Model A1901 does not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint.

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)

TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

• Like 1

I have 3 64gb Silver models coming tomorrow. Two were sent on accident. 

I opted not to buy the 256 only because I have a 128 7 plus and only used 50gb. Even with that I have crap load of screenshots and apps I never even used after downloading them. So the 64 should be fine. Especially since I can delete a screenshot as soon as I send it off.

36 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Thank you for that information, RedSpark, along with the information about Intel.

Kind of a side topic I have for mentioning here, though I promise not to drag it into an off-topic discussion here. I'm kind of curious about mergers that may happen in the processor space, including Apple. As Apple is working closer with Intel these past few years, and I've heard in general Intel isn't the powerhouse it once was, with news reports I've read stating an Intel/AMD partnership or merger may happen in the future, I'm kind of curious if Apple may be a potential suitor, especially as news reports I've been reading talk about Apple getting more involved in making their own processors. Intel could make a pretty big part in that, and its interesting to think about.

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to the iPhone X delivery tomorrow.

You don't need to be a powerhouse. The modem in iPhones aren't made by Qualcomm.

In any event intel still knows how to manufacture great chips.

But to your point intel modems are not able to connect as fast. Nor do they have sprint specific connections.

Just to reiterate, the AT&T/T-Mobile iPhones have the Intel chip in them, which does NOT support CDMA. The Sprint/Verizon/Unlocked version contains a Qualcomm chip, which DOES support CDMA. The only way an AT&T/T-Mobile iPhone 7/7Plus/8/8 Plus/X would work on Sprint/Verizon is in an LTE only environment. In addition, Apple intentionally "gimps" the Qualcomm chip so that they perform comparably, because it is still better than the Intel chip, but the gap between the two is closing. Even though this is the case, the iPhones still perform comparably to other phones in their class (save for HPUE devices).

Also, Intel is as much a powerhouse today as they ever have been. Nobody can beat their IPC (instructions per clock) performance on an x86 chip yet, but AMD is coming close with their Ryzen lineup. And by the way, Intel and AMD will almost undoubtedly NEVER merge or go into any kind of partnership in the near or somewhat distant future. They are full-on rivals and are competing with one another heavily now that AMD's Ryzen and Threadripper lineups are out. Intel has no reason to be bought or merged with, and AMD has just begun turning a profit for the first time in a long time. They are both doing fine, and will continue to do so, separately.

Apple, on the other hand, is doing phenomenally in the SoC processor department. They actually can't get any more involved in processor development for their devices because they fully design their CPUs, and now GPUs, for their devices. I'm not sure how much more involved you could be. Their engineers have been working magic with the A-series processors. The "A11 Bionic" chip in the new 8/8 Plus/X has unmatched performance in the mobile phone sector, and even is rivaling Intel's own mobile Core i5 processors from only a couple of years ago in benchmarks. Apple will do just fine by themselves as well.

-Anthony

• Like 3

On another note, I preordered a Space Grey 256 GB X from Sprint yesterday. It should ship by 11/14 according to them, so we shall see how that goes. I also just bought the black leather case from Apple, and a USB-C to Lightning cable plus the Apple 29 Watt USB-C wall charger, so that I can use that to quick charge the X, considering it supports this feature. Really looking forward to the device, and seeing if I win the raffle on Sunday to make my purchase slightly less expensive. :)

-Anthony

• Like 1

Regarding Intel, there is no doubt they still are a big company, but things in the consumer pc processor market are not the same for them as it once was, and its in that regard I mentioned the "powerhouse" term. I've read articles suggesting a possible merger of sorts between Intel and AMD's graphics division, not necessarily AMD as a whole, though personally I can't see that happening.

In my view it would have to be the entire form of AMD, which I can't see happening either, nor would AMD give up their graphics division that they are using to compete with Nvidia. If AMD did that, Intel would have to make a major focus in graphics with it, or else there would be an extreme monopoly in the market with Nvidia left as the only major graphics company. Intel just doesn't seem like the right potential competitor to Nvidia with or without AMD's graphics division, so all in all I really can't say much for that, but regardless its still being mentioned in some tech sites I read.

Back to Apple though. Apple is very much strongly in business with both AMD and Intel, though I believe if there were to be a merger, it would be with Intel instead of AMD. I think that would be a great combination, giving Intel a much stronger position in the mobile market than they currently have, pitting them directly against Qualcomm. This would be a great boost for Apple, especially considering the legal issues they have ongoing against Qualcomm. Apple seems set on making their own processors, modems, etc for future iPhones, and pairing with Intel even stronger than just their partnership would make for some further great hardware innovation.

I'm actually glad Apple is using Intel's modem and considering not using Qualcomm for future iPhones. I was really happy to learn during the new iPhone reveal event that Apple is making the processor and gpu now, and not outsourcing so much of the internal parts. I'm not sure what the timeline is for the future mobile display technologies, but the rumors of MLED technology has me hoping Apple will get involved in production of those displays directly. I've read reports that seem to indicate this, and again I am glad, because I'm a big supporter of in-house development and production. With Apple doing this, it makes for a major advantage over the Android platform, in my opinion.