Essentially a sprint exclusive.

mc_gusto

I just received a call from essential, he put a request to the technical team regarding the issue with clearwire.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 2:30 PM, latoso said:

I just received a call from essential, he put a request to the technical team regarding the issue with clearwire.

you hear anything back yet?

6 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

you hear anything back yet?

yes, essential and sprint are working on the issue in the houston market, there is an issue with  the phone connecting to clearwire band 41, at least they know so they can fix it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up an essential phone. So far it seems like a very nice phone. The only thing I do not like is it seems to excessively hold on to B26. Other than that I just have to get used to what is basically vanilla android and the finger sensor being on the back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 8:20 PM, mirskyc said:

Got my phone last night and I love the build of it. Very solid heavy phone.

My previous phones have been LG G2, Nexus 6, LG G4, and LG V20.

Coming from LG phones I am very used to the power button being on the back and it being combined with the finger print reader on the later LG phones. From what I've seen LG is one of the only manufactures that does that. Im not sure why since its only natural to push the back maybe its just my habit. But it also allow you to only have the volume on the side of the phone so you don't hit the wrong buttons.  This brings me to one of my dislikes about the Essential. If you are going to put the volume and power buttons near each other they should put some sort of texture on the power button.  The nexus 6 had it like this. I can't tell you how many times already I've hit the wrong button on the side.

Also I have to say the RF performance on this phone is the worst I've seen. Im getting 3G in many area where there is only GMO B25 sites. Also inside performance is on the edge of B25 and it tends to switch to B26 more often. 

It looks like they tried some trading off on RF reception on this phone. I have also noted that it is not great on 1x. However, it holds onto 800 almost excessively so. Its 1900 and 2500 reception is about on par with my Bolt.

3 hours ago, centermedic said:

It looks like they tried some trading off on RF reception on this phone.

Honestly I do not think they did that intentionally.  It appears they have no clue how to deal with the radio, hence why they finally posted a position for someone to come on board and do modem / radio work several months ago when complaints started piling up.  I have visions of them just throwing the radio in and calling it good without any tweaks what so ever because nobody had any idea what they were doing.

Some have theorized that the radio power levels are simply set to low and need to be adjusted.  I do not really know but i am really starting to hate this device (not as much as the bolt but close).

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, swintec said:

Honestly I do not think they did that intentionally.  It appears they have no clue how to deal with the radio, hence why they finally posted a position for someone to come on board and do modem / radio work several months ago when complaints started piling up.  I have visions of them just throwing the radio in and calling it good without any tweaks what so ever because nobody had any idea what they were doing.

Some have theorized that the radio power levels are simply set to low and need to be adjusted.  I do not really know but i am really starting to hate this device (not as much as the bolt but close).

I am not an RF scientist but could the Click Connector magnet on the back be causing some issues? 

I also recently noticed an issue with not receiving calls all the time while on LTE. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It is like the phone won't switch back to CDMA for the call.

• 3 weeks later...
yes, essential and sprint are working on the issue in the houston market, there is an issue with  the phone connecting to clearwire band 41, at least they know so they can fix it.

According to the fella I've been talking to at Sprint, this issue is getting partially fixed in a software update on 2/5/18.

I'm looking forward to reactivating my Essential when the patch comes, I had to reactivate my Nexus 6p and I definitely like the Essential more. My Nexus 6p is bulkier, goes through a battery charge much faster, and is harder to view in direct daylight. But, it just has way fewer bugs than the Essential. I'm hoping this fix, along with 8.1 helps the usability of this phone.

Ok, received a text from Sprint saying my device is unlocked....How do I know. Go into settings and hit ODADM updates and tried UICC unlock but nothing....I do I know the phone is unlocked?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ok, received a text from Sprint saying my device is unlocked....How do I know. Go into settings and hit ODADM updates and tried UICC unlock but nothing....I do I know the phone is unlocked?

Try rebooting your phone and then do a UICC unlock. This phone is pretty bug-ridden, so it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to do that.

Sent a tweet about the unlock issue...with links to Reddit with many users having same issue.

Did a 3 way call about it, states many tickets opened in last 48 hours. Adding tickets together to send to the correct department.

Sprint finally acknowledging they have an issue with unlock requests and the essential phone.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, swintec said:

I ended up returning the Essential because of the disappointing RF performance.  When adjustments were made at my local site when B41 was just being brought online, there were periods when the site was shut down.  At those times, my other phones were at least holding 1x800 solid from a neighboring site (Nexus 5X most of the time).  However, the Essential was frequently losing 1x800.  That was the last straw for me.

I ended up returning the Essential because of the disappointing RF performance.  When adjustments were made at my local site when B41 was just being brought online, there were periods when the site was shut down.  At those times, my other phones were at least holding 1x800 solid from a neighboring site (Nexus 5X most of the time).  However, the Essential was frequently losing 1x800.  That was the last straw for me.
That's disappointing to hear. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Joski1624 said:

Thats odd. In my experience, the Essential holds onto 800 like a death grip. It is actually frustrating at times.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 6:44 PM, centermedic said:

Thats odd. In my experience, the Essential holds onto 800 like a death grip. It is actually frustrating at times.

With my local site offline, the nearest site is over 6 miles away.  I live in a low spot and terrain blocks in most directions, so even the best of the best probably wouldn't hold onto B26 in those conditions.  1x800 was very weak, about -108 to -110 dBm.  That's close to the minimum usable threshold, so a couple of dB made a huge difference.  In general, the PH-1 still worked the best on 1x800 and LTE 800.  I was already fed up anyway, so even the nearly par 800MHz performance wasn't acceptable to me.  Granted my LG Nexus phones aren't much better.  My el-cheapo Motorola E2 is what opened my eyes ? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Playground, the VC that's funding Essential, had a startup showcase here in town for SXSW (they rented out a bar on Rainey Street for today and tomorrow). I swung by and handed my contact info to one of the folks there re: the CLWR B41 issues (the 8.1 beta, which I have installed, doesn't seem to fully fix 'em). I will absolutely install a debug build on my phone if that helps Essential figure out what the heck is wrong with their ability to talk to Clearwire towers, to the point that, if I'm having data issues, chances are I'm on a Clearwire site. Which, if I'm downtown, at one of the meetups I go to, or at a coffee shop I go to often, I am.

Apparently they were selling phones there, and you got their $99 headset if you bought one on the spot. Or, turns out, if you show up and already have the phone :D. Double win for me, as my new laptop has a couple Thunderbolt 3 ports, which do double duty as USB-C. The USB-C-to-3.5mm adapter worked perfectly with the laptop under Linux, and the headset does as well, at least for audio out.

As an aside, I would've absolutely paid extra at the time for a matte-back phone. I knew it before handling a phone with that color/material scheme, but seeing one in real life confirmed this. Not trading in my current phone though :)

• Like 4

I was almost ready to give up, im glad i kept it is a really good phone. I dont have an issue with signal, inside the building even verizon has trouble with 4g and this phone is the only one that holds on lte b26 i had other phones if band 41clearwire is not available all i get is 3gd895c7f43845031371e2afd3f682fe7c.jpg

• Like 1

i was still having the clear issue on the 8.1 beta. I upgraded to the official 8.1 and was still having issues. Today I switched the APN to the one titled "Sprint" instead of "n.ispsn" and it seems to be working

• Like 2