SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

Beta results after Mike fixed the band identification bug.  On my GS7 Edge, summary of 718 sectors sighted between 6/10/2017 ~1:00PM CDT and 6/20/2017 ~830AM, between Crystal Lake, IL, and Fenton, MO (mostly rural areas in Illinois along US-20, I-39 and I-55; mostly suburban areas around St. Louis):

Clearwire B41:           21 sectors

Clearwire B41A2:       24 sectors

Sprint B25:                140 sectors

Sprint B25A2:             28 sectors

Sprint B25A2 10x10:  28 sectors

Sprint B26:                142 sectors

Sprint B41:                121 sectors

Sprint B41 MM:          4 sectors

Sprint B41 MMA2:      4 sectors

Sprint B41 SC:           3 sectors

Sprint B41 TB:           7 sectors  (What are these:  They aren't in the glossary.)

Sprint B41A2:             178 sectors

Conclusion:  The recent betas are doing a very good job of identifying bands.

• Like 2

Beta results after Mike fixed the band identification bug. On my GS7 Edge, summary of 718 sectors sighted between 6/10/2017 ~1:00PM CDT and 6/20/2017 ~830AM, between Crystal Lake, IL, and Fenton, MO (mostly rural areas in Illinois along US-20, I-39 and I-55; mostly suburban areas around St. Louis):

Clearwire B41: 21 sectors

Clearwire B41A2: 24 sectors

Sprint B25: 140 sectors

Sprint B25A2: 28 sectors

Sprint B25A2 10x10: 28 sectors

Sprint B26: 142 sectors

Sprint B41: 121 sectors

Sprint B41 MM: 4 sectors

Sprint B41 MMA2: 4 sectors

Sprint B41 SC: 3 sectors

Sprint B41 TB: 7 sectors (What are these: They aren't in the glossary.)

Sprint B41A2: 178 sectors

Conclusion: The recent betas are doing a very good job of identifying bands.

TB stands for triband antennas. But these could also be 4th carrier, which we are in pursuit.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No frequency on my Kyocera Hydro Icon with root earfcn (that doesn't seem to be working currently for some reason...). My Pixel with native earfcns works fine. It could be buggy handling of when it expects an earfcn but doesn't get one?

4f060f5d981815439735521ee40de2c4.jpg286f3ba31aa82b790e3de3de1e043751.jpg

I can confirm once I rebooted and was able to get the root earfcn method to work, the frequency appeared.

de3f44b790800ca39ffacbccc05332f4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mike,

I attempted to send diagnostics from my BLU R1 HD this morning; hopefully you got them.  For as long as I've had it, it's listed both GSM and LTE at the same time.  With a little bit of math, it quickly becomes obvious that the LTE data is being duplicated as GSM data for some reason.  I assume the API is providing bad data, but is there any way to work around this issue, even if it means having a software setting for it somewhere? 

Additionally, I always lock this phone to Band 12, but with the new version, it now only reports "LTE" and never "LTE 700".  How would you feel about adding a means of telling SCP that the phone only connects to a single band so all logs can be identified as that band (if EARFCN is unavailable)?

- Trip

The word LTE is back on my Note 5, but no band indication in the header.

LTE frequency is still not working on my S8.

Bah. I thought for sure I had solved the "big text" not displaying properly.. I will do some more digging on it. When switching between Sprint and Clearwire sites it sometimes disappears on my Pixel too. It is only a display issue, as the Logger should still be recording the proper band.

Yeah I posted about that this morning. Hopefully Mike's Samsung EARFCN display fix can be carried over to neighboring cells at some point.

My bad on the B1 glitch, totally slipped my mind to apply it to neighbor cells too.. easy fix.

I attempted to send diagnostics from my BLU R1 HD this morning; hopefully you got them.  For as long as I've had it, it's listed both GSM and LTE at the same time.  With a little bit of math, it quickly becomes obvious that the LTE data is being duplicated as GSM data for some reason.  I assume the API is providing bad data, but is there any way to work around this issue, even if it means having a software setting for it somewhere? 

Additionally, I always lock this phone to Band 12, but with the new version, it now only reports "LTE" and never "LTE 700".  How would you feel about adding a means of telling SCP that the phone only connects to a single band so all logs can be identified as that band (if EARFCN is unavailable)?

I just checked out your report, thanks. If you could share the math that correlates the LTE and GSM data (I didn't look at it too closely), I can look into it.

I will think about the best way to approach your single band idea. I decided to have the app only use educated guesses on T-Mobile in Nokia markets, because the Ericsson sites have proven to be wildly inconsistent. Hopefully as Android 7 becomes adapted more widely, it becomes a moot point.

-Mike

Bah. I thought for sure I had solved the "big text" not displaying properly.. I will do some more digging on it. When switching between Sprint and Clearwire sites it sometimes disappears on my Pixel too. It is only a display issue, as the Logger should still be recording the proper band.

Yeah the logging is fine, because the log is going off of the provider field i.e. Sprint B26 and you are still fielding the correct information from the Samsung API for that.

• Like 1

I just checked out your report, thanks. If you could share the math that correlates the LTE and GSM data (I didn't look at it too closely), I can look into it.

I will think about the best way to approach your single band idea. I decided to have the app only use educated guesses on T-Mobile in Nokia markets, because the Ericsson sites have proven to be wildly inconsistent. Hopefully as Android 7 becomes adapted more widely, it becomes a moot point.

-Mike

Mike,

I'm currently connected to 00DFE217 (weird that it's following the Nokia pattern; it's a new site I've yet to track down), with a TAC of 20234.  The GSM data has 20234 as the LAC and the CID is 57879, which is 0xE217, matching the last four digits of the LTE GCI. 

The LTE ASU is always 99 on this phone, but on GSM it changes, so I'm not sure if the ASU is being reported correctly for the GSM entry and not for LTE.  I'm suspicious of some of the other numbers as well.

My big problem is that it logs this faulty data to the GSM log, which then requires periodic cleaning. 

I agree that it will hopefully become a moot point, I'd just prefer not to have to replace my devices any sooner than necessary.  Despite the promise of Android 7 when I bought it, it no longer looks like the R1 HD will get it, but it's otherwise still a very useful device because I can lock it to a band without root.  (It has a MediaTek chip so I can't use the root method to get EARFCN anyway.)  It's the only device I have that can't get the EARFCN at all; my G4 Play phones have the root method now and should have Android 7 soon, and my G3 has the root method.

- Trip

Assuming I just caught the modem in a frequency change or something, never have I seen or heard of Sprint having B12 spectrum in Michigan.facfbd267b209db8a110d9752d8abdda.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Assuming I just caught the modem in a frequency change or something, never have I seen or heard of Sprint having B12 spectrum in Michigan.

How long did it stay that way? That's Tmo's channel for Lower Michigan. First sign of network sharing? Long shot, of course.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

How long did it stay that way? That's Tmo's channel for Lower Michigan. First sign of network sharing? Long shot, of course.

A few days ago there was a report of a T-Mobile iPhone 7 with an Intel modem (no CDMA) activating on Sprint’s LTE network...

Not sure how long it was there, i saw it for a good minute, before i bounced to CDMA/3G, then back to B25 LTE.  There has been some funkiness in my West Michigan region at night recently, 11p-1a wher my phone just loses all connection for 30 seconds - a couple mins.  Acts like towers are completely gone.  I have B26 disabled at this point so I mostly live on B25.  B41 has been a bit better, but with the summer foliage, not getting stable connections on my phone.  My Tab E mostly parks on B41 in the upstairs of my house.

Assuming I just caught the modem in a frequency change or something, never have I seen or heard of Sprint having B12 spectrum in Michigan.

Were you able to pass any data? Was this the only tower you connected to?

Were you able to pass any data? Was this the only tower you connected to?

I'm not sure when it first occurred, i had been using my phone previous to noticing it, i was trying to get a screenshot to take because i was so surprised, right after the screenshot it went to 3G.

I wonder if I disable all 3 LTE bands if it would try to connect again

Status line at top not showing rsrp. Was previously showing 1x800, yet was able to download 85mbps. Ignore remnants not erased fully.150ba88623ce1ecc41ef0a8065b41fa6.jpgb66ad6eecbd95e4eb702d03f6858bef2.jpg

Diagnostics sent

• Like 1

SCP has logged my Pixel connecting to 4 different AT&T B17 sites on EARFCN 5780 since May 27. Does this match the licensing for the Eastern MA / Southern NH market? All were logged in my hometown where there is poor Sprint LTE coverage. It had never happened before.

-Mike

I'm not sure when it first occurred, i had been using my phone previous to noticing it, i was trying to get a screenshot to take because i was so surprised, right after the screenshot it went to 3G.

No way to disable B25 without disabling all LTE

No way to disable B25 without disabling all LTE

Signal guru app but very pricey. A few other tricks may be possible or not.

SCP has logged my Pixel connecting to 4 different AT&T B17 sites on EARFCN 5780 since May 27. Does this match the licensing for the Eastern MA / Southern NH market? All were logged in my hometown where there are is poor Sprint LTE coverage. It had never happened before.

-Mike

Sprint has AT&T LTE roaming for data at about 1x800 speeds

• Like 1

I think you should definitely try.  What was most surprising to me was that T-Mobile was broadcasting on Sprint's MCC/MNC (310/120).  That makes me think that there very well could be something going on.  

Sprint has AT&T LTE roaming for data at about 1x800 speeds

AT&T LTE roaming has actually been quite usable in my experience.  Music streaming and web browsing worked just fine...

• Like 1

I think you should definitely try. What was most surprising to me was that T-Mobile was broadcasting on Sprint's MCC/MNC (310/120). That makes me think that there very well could be something going on.

Sometimes not all of the data updates at once; the PLMN (which SCP uses to identify the provider) might not have updated yet when that screenshot was taken. Most of my phones occasionally have a delay when switching between Sprint and Clear LTE sites, messing up my site notes.. it's something I've been trying to find a workaround for, but it's hard. The device is reporting it all as a valid bundle of simultaneous data.

-Mike

Status line at top not showing rsrp. Was previously showing 1x800, yet was able to download 85mbps. Ignore remnants not erased fully.150ba88623ce1ecc41ef0a8065b41fa6.jpgb66ad6eecbd95e4eb702d03f6858bef2.jpg

Diagnostics sent

This issue is caused by enabling the 1x status bar.

97b30749349cf5afac378425d5b8beaa.jpg4217bc09a2055d4d4768ad9f443f872b.jpg

• Like 1