Calling Plus (VoLTE "Lite")

Someone here can probably explain this, but what exactly is preventing Sprint from doing full on VoLTE? Lack of macro density? Lack of coverage? Something in the core of their network? I remember years ago their excuse was lack of fallback to CDMA, but what's causing it today? Why can't they do a full scale VoLTE launch like Verizon did? Or at least a market-by-market launch like AT&T, where they know they have the LTE reliability and capacity?

13 hours ago, jakeuten said:

Someone here can probably explain this, but what exactly is preventing Sprint from doing full on VoLTE? Lack of macro density? Lack of coverage? Something in the core of their network? I remember years ago their excuse was lack of fallback to CDMA, but what's causing it today? Why can't they do a full scale VoLTE launch like Verizon did? Or at least a market-by-market launch like AT&T, where they know they have the LTE reliability and capacity?

It's a mix, but I think their biggest concern is taking a hit on their voice reliability scores. That said, I agree they should just open up VoLTE as a 'beta' program which is what they are sort of doing now with Calling Plus. I believe the full VoLTE IMS is already stood up and functioning with some iPhones and Calling Plus. Either way, we are getting closer!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grapkoski said:

It's a mix, but I think their biggest concern is taking a hit on their voice reliability scores. That said, I agree they should just open up VoLTE as a 'beta' program which is what they are sort of doing now with Calling Plus. I believe the full VoLTE IMS is already stood up and functioning with some iPhones and Calling Plus. Either way, we are getting closer!

We are not asking for it to be defaulting setting so should not be a concern of quality issues. The sooner it can get into beta, more data they can look at and see where are the weak spots they need to improve. 

The latest update to my Note 8 has this feature. I have it turned on.
How does this work? Like today I was on a phone call and tried accessing my email but wouldn't work. Said something like no data connection.
In the Calling Plus setting I also see WiFi calling and LTE calling(beta). Do those need to be enabled as well?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LTE calling would need to be enabled.

34 minutes ago, mnjeepmale said:

The latest update to my Note 8 has this feature. I have it turned on.
How does this work? Like today I was on a phone call and tried accessing my email but wouldn't work. Said something like no data connection.
In the Calling Plus setting I also see WiFi calling and LTE calling(beta). Do those need to be enabled as well?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 12/1/2017 at 1:10 PM, red_dog007 said:

What can we expect in terms of LTE carrier handoff?  With Sprint's current and future implementation, will LTE handoff's between networks be possible?

I know you were referring to Sprint but Verizon VoLTE is able to handoff to their LTEiRA partners and vise versa so it's definitely possible. On my Tmobile phone it will not handoff from a VoLTE call on US Cell to Tmobile. It won't go from a wifi call to VoLTE either on USC. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Calling Plus has proven to be more reliable than WiFi Calling for me. There have been more than a few times where I've had to turn off WiFi in the middle of a call and have it switch to LTE for the person on the other end to hear me clearly.

I think after they make improvements to the network this year, I feel that volte will be better for prime time. Honestly, I use it on verizon for work. A lot of times the calls suck, I end up using my personal phone to call into the office a lot.

I think volte should be prioritized on band 26
Why? Small calls are to help VOLTE which will be B41. 10x10 will also happen on B25 once CDMA is gone. So densifying B41 and B25 is more important. Leaving B26 for places that thos two just can not reach.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, anthony.spina97 said:

On iOS 11.3 beta on iPhone X, still nothing in the Settings app about Calling Plus. Will be interested to see if it appears in later updates.

-Anthony

Installing now, I might've waited if I saw this first! :) 

Hopefully a few more betas and perhaps it will "just work," rather than a setting appearing. 

New Carrier Sprint 31.5.1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anthony.spina97 said:

On iOS 11.3 beta on iPhone X, still nothing in the Settings app about Calling Plus. Will be interested to see if it appears in later updates.

-Anthony

I'm doubtful that they'd do "Calling Plus" on the iPhone. I figure Sprint will just jump straight to VoLTE.

14 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Calling Plus has proven to be more reliable than WiFi Calling for me. There have been more than a few times where I've had to turn off WiFi in the middle of a call and have it switch to LTE for the person on the other end to hear me clearly.

Calling Plus is getting worse and worse for me on WiFi. The start of the call is fine, but within a minute or to it starts getting garbled with lots of echos. I don't have many opportunities to use Calling Plus on LTE because of the GMO site near my house. Calling Plus was fantastic when I first started using it, but it's been getting to the point where I have to turn it off if I want to make a call. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Calling Plus is getting worse and worse for me on WiFi. The start of the call is fine, but within a minute or to it starts getting garbled with lots of echos. I don't have many opportunities to use Calling Plus on LTE because of the GMO site near my house. Calling Plus was fantastic when I first started using it, but it's been getting to the point where I have to turn it off if I want to make a call. 

I definitely thought it was just me but I'm glad that isn't the case. I don't know what Sprint is doing on their end but WiFi calling isn't nearly as good as it used to be but LTE calling works decent for me.

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

I definitely thought it was just me but I'm glad that isn't the case. I don't know what Sprint is doing on their end but WiFi calling isn't nearly as good as it used to be but LTE calling works decent for me.

I even have the Sprint router with the original Sprint firmware still intact. So I'm at a loss as to why it's happening. Happens on WiFi at my work too.

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'm doubtful that they'd do "Calling Plus" on the iPhone. I figure Sprint will just jump straight to VoLTE.

Yup. Even if it technically IS Calling Plus on the backend, on the iPhone it will likely just use the same verbiage as it does on other VoLTE iPhones. "Use LTE for Voice & Data"

In the Shentel market, I have had good results with LTE calling plus. I was in the Richmond area though a few days ago and it kept breaking up when I was on I-95. I just hung up, turned off calling plus and called the person back. 

As far as the comment about what bands VoLTE should use, calling plus seems to switch between bands with no loss of audio, so I don't see why it would really matter what band it uses. Just let it do it's own thing and go between bands just as "regular" data does. With voice packets having priority, it should be a good system in the end. I hope it happens sooner than later though. It really is nice to be able to look something up while on a call, or to have Google maps running in the car while on a bluetooth call and still getting updated traffic info. 

I even have the Sprint router with the original Sprint firmware still intact. So I'm at a loss as to why it's happening. Happens on WiFi at my work too.
The Sprint router may be causing problems with it. They do some QoS and rate limiting (I want to say 8 KB/sec or so) on the ipsec tunnels that are used. It sets a dedicated, allocated speed which cannot be exceeded, rather than just prioritizing the connection. It basically breaks an Airave.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk