Jump to content
lilotimz

Official Magic Box discussion thread

Recommended Posts

You have anymore information about this S1000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeanK_ said:

So that is the one I was reading about.

Yep! I know at least one sprint store near me had one since last summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

I thought SMS ran over the CDMA 1x/1xA network

SMS and MMS have been running over LTE since devices switched to the single transmit radio design. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a bit of update to my situation with one of my MBs. 

I wrote about how it had the 20% issue and then it got stuck in a boot loop crashing out. I emailed last night to send it back and gave some information. They wrote back this morning and asked if it was showing a SIM error message. It was not, it was an initialization message but since I hadn't plugged it in since the boot loop crashing where I let the battery die, I did so just to see if it popped up a new error.

It powered on and took what felt like forever with flashing e-ink screen and then brought up the familiar signal check screen. And it passed. Color me surprised.

So any of you that had that issue and just happen to have the box around still, check it out. They may have misconfigured something on your account or whatever but give it another chance. Especially those in the NC area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

SMS and MMS have been running over LTE since devices switched to the single transmit radio design. 

On Android devices.  iOS devices are/were SRLTE for SMS.  That is why they were unaffected by the early e/CSFB issue.

AJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SeanK_ said:

You have anymore information about this S1000?

It is his older brother.

T-1000_flames.jpg

AJ

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RightNow said:

So a bit of update to my situation with one of my MBs. 

I wrote about how it had the 20% issue and then it got stuck in a boot loop crashing out. I emailed last night to send it back and gave some information. They wrote back this morning and asked if it was showing a SIM error message. It was not, it was an initialization message but since I hadn't plugged it in since the boot loop crashing where I let the battery die, I did so just to see if it popped up a new error.

It powered on and took what felt like forever with flashing e-ink screen and then brought up the familiar signal check screen. And it passed. Color me surprised.

So any of you that had that issue and just happen to have the box around still, check it out. They may have misconfigured something on your account or whatever but give it another chance. Especially those in the NC area. 

hey @lilotimz can you check if his market has/had the same issues as Lincoln for Magic Boxes??

@RightNow which city/zip code is your Magic Box in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, though said:

 

@RightNow which city/zip code is your Magic Box in?

27316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RightNow said:

27316

 

15 minutes ago, though said:

hey @lilotimz can you check if his market has/had the same issues as Lincoln for Magic Boxes??

@RightNow which city/zip code is your Magic Box in?

As far as I can tell, Sprint is licensed or leasing literally every single spec of 2.5 spectrum. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

 

As far as I can tell, Sprint is licensed or leasing literally every single spec of 2.5 spectrum. 

they do not lease the spectrum that MB relays in the Lincoln market though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, though said:

they do not lease the spectrum that MB relays in the Lincoln market though?

That is correct as we've discussed in depth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lilotimz said:

That is correct as we've discussed in depth. 

There a way to put a chart or list of cities/markets that the MB is incompatible with?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, though said:

There a way to put a chart or list of cities/markets that the MB is incompatible with?

Way too much work as that would require going over every single EBS and BRS allocation per market. If people are interested in it then they are free to ask and it can be looked up but I doubt anyone wants to do it for every single region (EBS leases are a pain in the butt). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Way too much work as that would require going over every single EBS and BRS allocation per market. If people are interested in it then they are free to ask and it can be looked up but I doubt anyone wants to do it for every single region (EBS leases are a pain in the butt). 

Slightly off topic, do premier sponsors have access to which towers have Band 41 active? I didn't see it in the regular sponsors map section. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RightNow said:

Slightly off topic, do premier sponsors have access to which towers have Band 41 active? I didn't see it in the regular sponsors map section. 

Some information but not comprehensive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what EARFCNs have shown up so far?

Mine is 39874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping again - new (replacement) MB arrived Friday.  We were gone this weekend, so i just now got it set up.  Achieved a 'score' of 59.  MB has been configured and running now for 2 hours, and neither of our iphones will connect to it.  Guess I'll let it go overnight to ensure it does its update to the latest software, etc.  If we still aren't connected to it in the morning, then i guess it's a call back in to MB Support.  

I'm starting to wonder if it's our iPhones.  Has anyone in this thread had a consistent experience in regards to iphones connecting to their Magic Boxes?  Maybe iOS 11 will have a carrier settings update that helps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shaferz said:

Bumping again - new (replacement) MB arrived Friday.  We were gone this weekend, so i just now got it set up.  Achieved a 'score' of 59.  MB has been configured and running now for 2 hours, and neither of our iphones will connect to it.  Guess I'll let it go overnight to ensure it does its update to the latest software, etc.  If we still aren't connected to it in the morning, then i guess it's a call back in to MB Support.  

I'm starting to wonder if it's our iPhones.  Has anyone in this thread had a consistent experience in regards to iphones connecting to their Magic Boxes?  Maybe iOS 11 will have a carrier settings update that helps?

got MB hooked up today. Nexus 5 Nexus 6, Nexus 6P all connected to it immediately. Pixel XL wouldn't connect to it after 30 minutes or so of trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shaferz said:

Bumping again - new (replacement) MB arrived Friday.  We were gone this weekend, so i just now got it set up.  Achieved a 'score' of 59.  MB has been configured and running now for 2 hours, and neither of our iphones will connect to it.  Guess I'll let it go overnight to ensure it does its update to the latest software, etc.  If we still aren't connected to it in the morning, then i guess it's a call back in to MB Support.  

I'm starting to wonder if it's our iPhones.  Has anyone in this thread had a consistent experience in regards to iphones connecting to their Magic Boxes?  Maybe iOS 11 will have a carrier settings update that helps?

I've seen some that take a while, Droid or iPhone alike. Try airplane mode on and off a few times or restart the phone. Wouldn't hurt to do PRL updates or whatnot. For the stubborn devices I've seen, airplane mode has done the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also note that in some cases it's the macro network not handing you off due to handoff thresholds for each band. They don't want people ping ponging so it may take some time for optimization of handoffs to occur. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shaferz said:

Bumping again - new (replacement) MB arrived Friday.  We were gone this weekend, so i just now got it set up.  Achieved a 'score' of 59.  MB has been configured and running now for 2 hours, and neither of our iphones will connect to it.  Guess I'll let it go overnight to ensure it does its update to the latest software, etc.  If we still aren't connected to it in the morning, then i guess it's a call back in to MB Support.  

I'm starting to wonder if it's our iPhones.  Has anyone in this thread had a consistent experience in regards to iphones connecting to their Magic Boxes?  Maybe iOS 11 will have a carrier settings update that helps?

I have an iPhone and have been fortunate to not have any issues with it connecting to my MB at all.

I received my MB on Wednesday. After plugging it in and letting it do its thing for a couple of hours, I witnessed my signal strength go from -114 dBm to -69 dBm B41 while I was using my phone. Pretty neat to witness. Since then, my phone has automatically locked onto the MB B41 signal whenever I pull into my driveway.

I'm on a 6S+ and haven't had to reset my phone, do a PRL update, airplane mode, or anything else. My house is in a pocket of pretty weak B41, and B25 is weak indoors, so that could be why my phone is connecting so well to the MB. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I hope this helps and that your MB starts working out for you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, nothing I've done has made the note 8, mine or my wife, c connect better than it does right now. In places where the note 5 was fine and had great signal, the note 8 drops to att b17. I wish I could turn off b17..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • TAPATALK VERSION
    BACK ONLINE

  • PROGRESSIVE RAFFLE
    FOR AN iPHONE 8

    iphonexiphone8.jpg

    WHICH CAN PROGRESS TO AN iPHONE 8+ OR AN iPHONE X
    **or an Android device of equal or lesser value**

    CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • The other thing I found in his video presentation was the clear lack of anything "Sprint".   John jabbed at AT&T and Verizon but nothing on or against Sprint.  Also, I don't know if you guys noticed, but the word "Duopoly" is the power word of late and is being used with more frequency! (no pun intended)....   I think it's about conditioning  the FCC and DOJ by hearing it.
    • The DOJ reviews potential antitrust issues in mergers. The FCC is supposed to look at whether the merger is in the public interest, which includes reduced competition. So the FCC could reject the merger on the grounds that the reduced competition is not in the public interest. I do not, however, see Chairman Pai doing that because he is so pro-business. From the FCC's FAQ about merger reviews:
      Q: What is the FCC’s public interest standard/test?
      A: Under section 310(d) of the Communications Act, we determine whether a proposed transaction will serve the public interest, convenience and necessity. First, we determine if the application complies with provisions of the Act and our Commission rules. If it does, then we consider whether granting the application could result in public interest harms by substantially frustrating or impairing the objectives or implementation of the Communications Act or related statutes. Competition, diversity, localism, and encouraging the provision of advanced services to all Americans are among the principle objectives of the Act. We also consider what potential public benefits might occur because of the transaction. We balance the potential public interest harms against the potential benefits. The Applicants bear the burden of proving, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the proposed transaction, on balance, will serve the public interest.
    • Before we jump to this conclusion we need to see sustained financial growth over a period of time and a much larger increase in net additions to the network. Sprint is still offering the best deals in wireless and their growth is lagging the competition. This is not sustainable over the long term. Honestly, I see a merger as inevitable as the larger providers will have much more flexible cash for network enhancements in the near future, which they can then leverage to gain more customers. 
    • For exurban and rural sites, microwave and satellite backhaul are often used. 
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×