Seasonal Hotspot

mnjeepmale

We have a cabin out at the lake. Currently there is no Internet there but we would like to get Internet at the cabin for 5-6 months out of the year during the Summer. Most Internet providers are asking for a contract with no option to pause service during the off season.

I'm going to contact Sprint and check to see how much it will cost to activate mobile hotspot on one phone.

But is there any other options for non contract hotspot? I see that Boost has one but the plans are not very cheap. 

We have a cabin out at the lake. Currently there is no Internet there but we would like to get Internet at the cabin for 5-6 months out of the year during the Summer. Most Internet providers are asking for a contract with no option to pause service during the off season.

I'm going to contact Sprint and check to see how much it will cost to activate mobile hotspot on one phone.

But is there any other options for non contract hotspot? I see that Boost has one but the plans are not very cheap. 

With a Sprint phone you can activate hotspot online and deactivate whenever you do not need it. It is very affordable. If you have the new unlimited plan you also have hotspot included. Or if you are in the market for an iPad Pro, you can get the cellular version and be able to select AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile and buy pretty much any plan you want. Although Sprint's tablet plans have not caught up with the competition. 

We are not on unlimited. 40Gig total for 5 phones. The new plans are for new activation.

If I do get a hotspot would like the option of connecting some external antenna. Signal goes from LTE to 3G at times.

The 40GB Shared Data?

That has hotspot included, but it will use part of your 40GB's though.

We are not on unlimited. 40Gig total for 5 phones. The new plans are for new activation.

If I do get a hotspot would like the option of connecting some external antenna. Signal goes from LTE to 3G at times.

Hotspot is included when using data buckets. It's your data to use, hotspot or through regular use.

Unless you're looking for a standalone hotspot device?

• Like 1

My parents are in a similar situation; they have a vacation cabin in Ruidoso, NM.  Although they do not spend as much time there as it sounds that you do, they are there for about 10 weeks per year for a week or so at at time.  They have Sprint's 40gb shared plan, which includes the use of the Mobile Hotspot built into the phone.  Since Mobile Hotspot is included in Sprint's shared data plans, they just use that for WiFi when visiting their cabin. They use about 3-5Gbs each visit.  

Also, they have a vacation beach house in Mexico, which they spend another 5 to 10 weeks a year at.  They have Sprint Open World which is free and includes Talk/Text and 1GB of internal data per line per month (so, actually 2GB international data since they have 2 phones).  Even in Mexico they use their laptop via their smartphones WiFi hotspot for checking email, sending me photos to make me jealous, etc.  

This has worked great for them for the past couple years without the need to make any hardware or additional service purchases. 

• Like 1