Comcast getting ready to launch wireless service?

bigsnake49

It seems that they have been included in the carrier settings of the iPhone. I wonder if Charter will follow suit.

"Comcast is quietly partnering with Apple as it prepares to launch wireless service under the brand Xfinity Mobile.

The cable giant’s name has been added to behind-the-scenes—but publicly available—code that lists carrier bundles for the iPhone. The list of carrier bundles is used by iTunes and iPhones to determine whether the iPhone’s SIM is supported by a service provider with whom Apple has an agreement, then provisions the phone accordingly.

The iPhone’s latest list of carrier bundles includes “Verizon_Comcast_LTE_US,” and mentions the service “Xfinity Mobile.” A source pointed out the reference to FierceWireless, and a different source with knowledge of the matter confirmed that Comcast has indeed partnered with Apple ahead of the launch of Xfinity Mobile.

The updated code appears to be related to the release of an update for Apple’s iOS platform."

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/comcast-quietly-taps-iphone-ahead-launch-xfinity-mobile

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Comcast and Charter to cooperate on wireless:

Cable operators Comcast and Charter Communications have made a deal in which they will join forces to increase their operational efficiencies as mobile virtual network operators on Verizon Wireless’ network.

The companies, which each have separately activated a mobile virtual network operator agreement with Verizon Wireless, said that they have agreed to “explore working together in a number of potential operational areas in the wireless space, including: creating common operating platforms; technical standards development and harmonization; device forward and reverse logistics; and emerging wireless technology platforms.”Comcast and Charter said for one year, they will “work only together” in commercial arrangements or other “material transactions” with national mobile network operators.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20170508/carriers/comcast-charter-will-work-jointly-on-wireless

I mentioned this last month but with this agreement between Comcast and Charter I am not so sure now.

The option is still open for both to make a pitch for Sprint. The debt is down and sprint has managed to stop the subscriber bleed.

I mentioned this last month but with this agreement between Comcast and Charter I am not so sure now.

There is a lot of discussion online regarding cable interest in merging with wireless, though I don't see this being something cable is as interested in right now like what others are making it seem to be.

From my perspective, I believe the only wireless carrier likely to merge in with cable, is Verizon and Comcast. However, I think the larger priority in the cable industry is to consolidate the companies into two or three nationwide entities. I think that considering the recent reports on how Charter and Comcast are in agreement with each other not to attempt any wireless carrier acquisitions without each others consent, I believe it is possible Charter and Comcast may try to merge under the current administration's pro-business climate. Afterwards, they quite likely will try for Verizon.

Still, I'm not giving up on the idea that Verizon may first try getting Sprint, if they fail to win Straight Path from their bidding war against AT&T. Its obvious Verizon needs more spectrum, and if they can't get it from Straight Path, it could lead open the possibility of either Dish or Sprint. Although, I am doubting Verizon's interest in Dish at this point, because of Verizon's general lack of mentioning Dish as a potential partner. Besides, if Verizon gets Dish, it could effectively close off any opportunities for them to merge in with cable.

I think its going to end up with AT&T with Straight Path and its spectrum also having DirecTV, T-Mobile having Dish and the large low-band and mid-band spectrum focus, and Verizon with Sprint and its "beachfront" 5G spectrum backed by cable giants Charter and Comcast.. Perhaps later on AT&T and T-Mobile might get the remaining cable companies, but I doubt that will be for quite a long time, if ever. Perhaps cable may even just consolidate into one nationwide company under Charter/Comcast, as cable may be seen as having enough competition between satellite and IP options, not to need any further direct cable competition. Although, I suspect their may be at least one cable company allowed to compete over the same lines, such as WOW, but not a major player option bundled with a wireless service like with Charter/Comcast.

Might be a stupid question but if SoftBank is considering selling Sprint, why is Sprint opening all of these new locations? We don't know if the Sprint brand will continue post M&A so shouldn't they just wait?

Might be a stupid question but if SoftBank is considering selling Sprint, why is Sprint opening all of these new locations? We don't know if the Sprint brand will continue post M&A so shouldn't they just wait?

Makes me think that sprint considers itself as ready, willing, and able to be a stand alone entity without mergers or acquisition. Masa said so himself, he has also said open to anything.. So why impose limits?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just got an email about this service. You can get an unlimited line for $45/mo if you sign up before the end of July. That's a really good deal considering you're on the Verizon network for the most part.

I just got an email about this service. You can get an unlimited line for $45/mo if you sign up before the end of July. That's a really good deal considering you're on the Verizon network for the most part.

You can get the same deal from Verizon and you don't need a Comcast high value account to get it.