Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

100% stock, made no tweaks or adjustments and she is as smooth as ever. I do have the occasional random reboot but even hasn't happened in a while.

• Like 1

For those having "random" reboots, there is an auto restart feature that reboots the phone every 7 days. Make sure that is off if you don't want it on. It's in the settings.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First HDR YouTube devices. Note 8 and S8/S8+.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just updated Youtube and also got the option. Funny thing, im able to run it full 1440p60 HDR over LTE which bolds well for Sprint. But, the GS8 is kinda struggling to not drop frames which is interesting.

BTW the video quality is pretty amazing.

Just updated Youtube and also got the option. Funny thing, im able to run it full 1440p60 HDR over LTE which bolds well for Sprint. But, the GS8 is kinda struggling to not drop frames which is interesting.

Yeah at 720p it's fine but at 1440p HDR is at best 40fps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I upgraded one of my lines from a Note 4 to the S8+. When I went through the initial setup it installed over 100 apps which looks like from my Note 4 phone. 

What have you been using to copy everything else? ie - SMS, music, pictures, etc

Do you use Samsung Switch app?

11 hours ago, mnjeepmale said:

I upgraded one of my lines from a Note 4 to the S8+. When I went through the initial setup it installed over 100 apps which looks like from my Note 4 phone. 

What have you been using to copy everything else? ie - SMS, music, pictures, etc

Do you use Samsung Switch app?

I used either Samsung Switch or Google's Backup, but when I was on the S7 Edge I just used the Switch and it worked perfectly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mnjeepmale said:

Another question. This phone is the unlocked version of the S8+. There is no voicemail app. 

What have people been using for voicemail on the unlocked version?

You can use the standard 'call your phone number' to get your voicemail.  I know Google voice / Youmail is a popular option for some but I've heard some people might have trouble using it if they enable wifi calling?  Not sure.

Alternatively, you can always flash the Sprint firmware onto the unlocked version.  Just be prepared there is a ton of bloatware.  

7 hours ago, mrjeff said:

Hey just wondering how often or under what circumstances (driving, home, etc.) are people using Calling Plus?  

I have mine on all the time, so.....all the time, I guess?? 

It's been working fine for me and I have only had 1 dropped call, but I usually have a dropped call here or there before Calling Plus too. The connection between my wife's phone and mine is always so crystal clear. Especially through our car bluetooth kits now, which was starting to be a problem with the S8 and S8+ before Calling Plus. 

• Like 2

So far, I have found no major reason to turn it off. Coverage wise I'd say it's about 90% of 1x for me. Quality is two or three times better. It's not perfect in congested areas, but still pretty great considering no QOS.

I have noticed that because my girl uses GV sometimes the quality of her calls aren't that great, but that's GV's integration fault.

15 hours ago, mrjeff said:

Hey just wondering how often or under what circumstances (driving, home, etc.) are people using Calling Plus?  

All the time no problems, had one issue last week though at work. We don't get the best signal (doesn't matter the network they all suck here) and I was on WiFi Calling and my boss called me and I was on a hardly usable WiFi signal and dropped the call and had no LTE to fall back onto. I fixed it by turning WiFI off and I toggled Airplane mode and that got me back into LTE and I was able to finish the phone call. Otherwise it works great no issues at all besides that one time which now I won't have to deal with because I know in that particular area LTE works fine but for some reason my phone was being stupid and didn't try and find a signal.<_<

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 1:55 AM, mrjeff said:

I usually just leave mine on all the time. It does seem to break up every once and a while, especially during the evening hours when network usage is typically high, so if I'm making an important call or expecting an important call (especially during evening hours), I usually just turn it off. I think this will be solved once Sprint implements true VoLTE, where voice calls get priority. Until then, it's nice, but needs some improvement to be as good as 1x calling.  (Of course, what I said above is when connected to LTE, not Wifi.)

It's definitely a good first step and it sure is nice to be able to look stuff up online while on a phone call. I've taken advantage of that numerous times. 

10 minutes ago, jthawks said:

Well I'm still having the freezing  up on me at least once a day.  Still get lag.  I might just do a reset. Just a little disappointed in this phone.  I don't run allot of thing's so not sure why it does this

I actually had my phone tell me yesterday that I hadn't restarted in 7 days! I can't believe it's gone that long for me. I'm usually every couple of days out of habit now, but the phone has been better for me and my needs I guess since I hadn't restarted. 

What continues to be a frustration for me and the S8+ is the clarity of the pictures (Samsung over-processing the images on the software side) and second, I now get a 4-5 second delay after hitting the "record" button in the Camera app to the video actually recording. The second or third video will start right away, but then it'll lag again for 4-5 seconds. Drives me bonkers. When trying to capture things my kids do, those 4-5 seconds make all the difference. 

3 hours ago, mmark27 said:

I actually had my phone tell me yesterday that I hadn't restarted in 7 days! I can't believe it's gone that long for me. I'm usually every couple of days out of habit now, but the phone has been better for me and my needs I guess since I hadn't restarted. 

What continues to be a frustration for me and the S8+ is the clarity of the pictures (Samsung over-processing the images on the software side) and second, I now get a 4-5 second delay after hitting the "record" button in the Camera app to the video actually recording. The second or third video will start right away, but then it'll lag again for 4-5 seconds. Drives me bonkers. When trying to capture things my kids do, those 4-5 seconds make all the difference. 

Any chance you are using an older or slower SD card to save your recorded video?  If you are, try recording video to device storage and see if that makes a difference. 

I'm getting quite annoyed with my +, I've had the phone hard lock up on me a few times now. Doing nothing stressful at all, simple Facebook or Instagram. Never once had my Note 5 do this to me, I'm seriously debating going back to my Note 5 until I can buy something else, gonna maybe throw this on swappa and get most of my money back, not happy with it at all. Even with 3xCA I'm not seeing anything over 80mbps, same tower I would normally get 150 on my Note 5, sad. 

• Love 1

I've had my Unlocked Coral Blue GS8+ since end of July and it's still going strong.  No software issues or weird shenanigans.  I attribute a lot of that to being on the Unlocked 955U1 firmware.  I still kept my 935U Galaxy S7 Edge and it too is going strong on the Unlocked firmware.  

I think most of these issues are coming from Sprint messing with the ROM too much with their bloat and other crap.

The only issue I've had so far was when Google updated their Google app, my battery began to drain a lot faster - ~5%/hr instead of the normal ~2%/hr.  A simple reboot took care of that.  Google is still my NUMBER ONE enemy for battery life.  I"m hoping Oreo will take care of Google.