Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

Hey all,

I have an unlocked galaxy s8+. Any benefit to flashing the Sprint firmware besides potentially quicker updates? Thanks.

I don't think so. Actually I noticed CA only works on Sprint now that my Sprint S8+ is unlocked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't think so. Actually I noticed CA only works on Sprint now that my Sprint S8+ is unlocked.

are you trying to say that CA only works while using the Sprint firmware?  If so I guess that's a pretty big reason to flash the Sprint firmware.

are you trying to say that CA only works while using the Sprint firmware? If so I guess that's a pretty big reason to flash the Sprint firmware.

No I'm saying Sprint firmware makes CA only work with Sprint. If you use one of the other carriers it will not use CA for them.

No I'm saying Sprint firmware makes CA only work with Sprint. If you use one of the other carriers it will not use CA for them.

I'm also looking to buy an S8+. And debating between the Sprint version or unlocked.

Will I see the same between the two?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm also looking to buy an S8+. And debating between the Sprint version or unlocked.

Will I see the same between the two?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes I have a S8+ on from Sprint and unlocked it and you cannot use CA on other carriers.

My phones app installer just told me it was installing "App Stack."  Once again, not something I requested.  Also of concern, I can't seem to find it in my phones app list nor on my installed apps in Playstore.

Is this "App Stack" a hidden Samsung or Sprint program?

*****I did some checking & found App Stack was popular back in 2011 (!), but couldn't find any recent activity.  I did find that my concern has been voice by others over other 'push' Sprint apps over the years- this was just my first experience of this phenomena. 

FYI the app makers describe it as "App Stack is a paid widget app for Android phone that enables the user to launch any of their favorite apps simple and fast.

With this app, the user can add or remove app installed on the phone. Once the app has been added to App Stack, it can be launched from the widget. Categorize stacks with up to 5 different stacks for every groups. App Stacks gives a fun, cool and easy way to launch the apps."

So why would I possibly need that when I have that utility with the right edge loader?  Or that odd right thumb-wheel thingy - which is ABSOLUTELY USELESS to me as Left Handed!

My phones app installer just told me it was installing "App Stack."  Once again, not something I requested.  Also of concern, I can't seem to find it in my phones app list nor on my installed apps in Playstore.

Is this "App Stack" a hidden Samsung or Sprint program?

*****I did some checking & found App Stack was popular back in 2011 (!), but couldn't find any recent activity.  I did find that my concern has been voice by others over other 'push' Sprint apps over the years- this was just my first experience of this phenomena. 

FYI the app makers describe it as "App Stack is a paid widget app for Android phone that enables the user to launch any of their favorite apps simple and fast.

With this app, the user can add or remove app installed on the phone. Once the app has been added to App Stack, it can be launched from the widget. Categorize stacks with up to 5 different stacks for every groups. App Stacks gives a fun, cool and easy way to launch the apps."

So why would I possibly need that when I have that utility with the right edge loader?  Or that odd right thumb-wheel thingy - which is ABSOLUTELY USELESS to me as Left Handed!

Perhaps you have malicious software on your phone? try to disable it with package disabler pro.

Is this the model # for the unlocked version of the Galaxy S8 +? 

SM-G955U1

I'm looking at a new phone that has that model number and want to make sure it's the unlocked version and has all the same bands as the Sprint model.

SM-G955U1

I'm looking at a new phone that has that model number and want to make sure it's the unlocked version and has all the same bands as the Sprint model.

B25, B26, and B41 for Sprint

Frequencies and Data Type

B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B13(700), B17(700), B18(800), B19(800), B20(800), B25(1900), B26(800), B28(700), B29(700), B30(2300), B66(AWS-3)

SM-G955U1

The hardware is the same on all s8 models, if you intend on activating it on sprints network at some point then do yourself a favor and get the sprint specific model.

The hardware is the same on all s8 models, if you intend on activating it on sprints network at some point then do yourself a favor and get the sprint specific model.

There's nothing wrong with buying the unlocked model then you don't have to worry about getting it unlocked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with buying the unlocked model then you don't have to worry about getting it unlocked.

I agree but he specifically mentioned supporting the same bands as the sprint model so I took that as possibly that at some point it may end up on sprints network and the unlocked model won't work on sprints network.

Why is that? Experience you had before?

My question is, at some point will you be activating this on sprints network?

I agree but he specifically mentioned supporting the same bands as the sprint model so I took that as possibly that at some point it may end up on sprints network and the unlocked model won't work on sprints network.

I doubt that will happen. The unlocked model currently works on all carriers. If that happens it will cost Sprint when people leave for something else

Yes. Doesn't it have all the supported bands and CA?

Yes it does. It works on Sprint. Samsung and bb websites say so.

Yes it does. It works on Sprint. Samsung and bb websites say so.

Yes. Doesn't it have all the supported bands and CA?

Ok, if you are going to activate this on sprints network then you need to buy the sprint specific model.  The reason being, is that even though all s8 hardware are the same, sprints system won't accept the imei number from the unlocked model.  All non sprint imei's are automatically blacklisted so no way it can be activated.  

Edit: you can always unlock the sprint model if need be, its not very hard.

Ok, if you are going to activate this on sprints network then you need to buy the sprint specific model.  The reason being, is that even though all s8 hardware are the same, sprints system won't accept the imei number from the unlocked model.  All non sprint imei's are automatically blacklisted so no way it can be activated.  

Edit: you can always unlock the sprint model if need be, its not very hard.

Wow that's news to me. So you can't activate a 955U1 on Sprint as they blacklist it?

That really sucks. I was thinking of buying one today

Wow that's news to me. So you can't activate a 955U1 on Sprint as they blacklist it?

That really sucks. I was thinking of buying one today

Again, all hardware are the same on the s8 just like on the iphone and just like the u11.  But if you want to specifically use any of them on sprints network  you need to get the sprint specific model.  The sprint specific model only means that those specific predetermined range of imei's are whitelisted for sprint's network where as any other imei's won't activate.  So don't buy the unlocked model then think you will be able to activate it on sprint.

Not if you want to activate it on sprint.

Again, all hardware are the same on the s8 just like on the iphone and just like the u11. But if you want to specifically use any of them on sprints network you need to get the sprint specific model. The sprint specific model only means that those specific predetermined range of imei's are whitelisted for sprint's network where as any other imei's won't activate. So don't buy the unlocked model then think you will be able to activate it on sprint.

Guess Sprint wants to lose customers. If I bought the Unlocked one I would switch then.

Guess Sprint wants to lose customers. If I bought the Unlocked one I would switch then.

I don't understand, how will they lose customers over this?

I don't understand, how will they lose customers over this?

If your can't use the Unlocked model people buy then they will just take their business to att,vzw or Tmobile where they can activate it no issue.sprint BYOD has been another complain I've heard