Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

Today I've been having a lot of freeze-up issues after unlocking the phone. Perhaps the cpu is spinning up after being dormant and it's having issues with that, or perhaps some sort of memory issue, but it will lock up for a solid 10-20 seconds, really frustrating. I'm waiting so long for it to accept touch input that I'm thinking the phone is going to reboot itself, but it doesn't and eventually starts responding.

Also it seems like the phone's attempt at doing the face-unlock is hit or miss. The icon doesn't even suggest it's trying to do a face unlock most of the time, and I just have to enter my pin. I had thought that somehow got shut off and when I went in to check its setting it did the face unlock that time, so I dunno whats going on there.

The iris scanner is very picky and a hit or miss ...i just use the finger print scanner

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was at Best Buy just a bit ago looking at televisions, and I decided to stop by over at the Samsung smartphone section to look at the S8 devices. I was pretty impressed by the display quality, especially considering that Samsung has finally decided to add a color balance feature to the display settings.

I think if the Note 8 weren't being rumored to have a 4k display, I'd be pretty tempted into considering purchasing the S8+. However, if I get a Sony tv, I'll likely get the Sony Xperia XZ Premium.

I pre-ordered from Target, and am supposed to get a Gear VR for pre-ordering, but I have little doubt that I'm going to get that. 

When filling out the form at Samsung to claim it, it wants a picture of the receipt, but didn't say anything about capturing or sending the preorder email (even thought Target email says they will want both)...and the date on the sales receipt is after the time window for the Gear VR deal because you don't pay for it until you pick it up. I don't see how they could accept that.

Screwed at every turn with this purchase. The only positive is how amazing the phone is.

Another problem I'm noticing is 'Unknown Sources'... I keep turning it on, but it doesn't seem to ever save that setting. Every time I go back there its off again.

Yes. This is frustrating.

My freeze-up problem seems to be getting worse. I've tried uninstalling Facebook and some other potential problem apps. Had a couple errors about BadgeProvider and tried stopping that and clearing its cache, rebooting but that didn't seem to help. It won't let me disable it. I might have to do a wipe and start new if I can't figure it out.

My freeze-up problem seems to be getting worse. I've tried uninstalling Facebook and some other potential problem apps. Had a couple errors about BadgeProvider and tried stopping that and clearing its cache, rebooting but that didn't seem to help. It won't let me disable it. I might have to do a wipe and start new if I can't figure it out.

Freeze up like the screen won't turn on?

That could be due to Google Maps. Don't leave it running and turn off your screen. Close out app (recents > swipe away) before shutting your screen off.

Freeze up like the screen won't turn on?

That could be due to Google Maps. Don't leave it running and turn off your screen. Close out app (recents > swipe away) before shutting your screen off.

No... its typically freezing up a few seconds after turning the screen on and trying to interact with any number of apps. 

No... its typically freezing up a few seconds after turning the screen on and trying to interact with any number of apps. 

Have you tried booting into Safe mode. Seems more like an app conflict than system.

I'm finding that I need a reboot everyday otherwise, it gets pretty laggy hitting the onscreen buttons and such.

I think I've rebooted mine 1 time since I got it last wednesday.

Have you tried booting into Safe mode. Seems more like an app conflict than system.

I think I've rebooted mine 1 time since I got it last wednesday.

Dang, I go and open my mouth and shortly after it's now stuck on AOD and will not turn on, receive calls, or even reboot when I hold down the power button.

How do you boot to 'safe mode' ?

... to force a reboot (if you havent figured it out already), hold power and volume down for 7 seconds and it should reboot.

Today my phone has been working good. I'm sure its an app issue or perhaps something that needs updated. I'm not concerned that its hardware.

... to force a reboot (if you havent figured it out already), hold power and volume down for 7 seconds and it should reboot.

Today my phone has been working good. I'm sure its an app issue or perhaps something that needs updated. I'm not concerned that its hardware.

Did you do a restore from a previous device by chance?

No issues with band 41 personally. When I'm inside I'm usually on band 25/26 when I'm outside no issues being on band 41 and if I'm not and I need that extra speed it switches anyway.

Also can't believe how fast CA has become. Just ran a speed test and got 177 down.

• Like 4

No... all fresh installs. Right now the most annoying thing is my face unlock isnt even attempting to do anything. Always have to enter a pin. It was working in the first few days.

Just do a hard reset

• Like 1

Samsung minimal clear case arrived today. Very nice. Wraps all corners and is pretty thin. Exactly what I wanted.

Wife got one from Skin-IT, the lite case, it's thinner than this but also a very nice case. She bought one with a nebula picture on it and it's high gloss finish.

I shortly figured out you had to do volume down also. Weird, but I got it. Attached is how to safe mode it. Haven't actually tried it. 02193c2fc3273e1385554f4974a72e8c.jpg

• Like 1

For those who have not yet pulled the trigger... Best Buy is going to start selling Unlocked versions starting May 9th. It's unclear if they will have them in stock or this is a preorder date.

I'm thinking of returning my carrier locked version and get the unlocked version. The carrier locked version of the S8+ at Target was $849, but the unlocked version at Best Buy is going to be $825. Seems like a no-brainer to wait for unlocked.

For those who have not yet pulled the trigger... Best Buy is going to start selling Unlocked versions starting May 9th. It's unclear if they will have them in stock or this is a preorder date.

I'm thinking of returning my carrier locked version and get the unlocked version. The carrier locked version of the S8+ at Target was $849, but the unlocked version at Best Buy is going to be $825. Seems like a no-brainer to wait for unlocked.

Does anybody know if there will be any Sprint network performance difference between the locked carrier version and the unlocked version?

Would I miss out on anything if I bought that version?

• Like 1

Does anybody know if there will be any Sprint network performance difference between the locked carrier version and the unlocked version?

Would I miss out on anything if I bought that version?

Updates lol, unlocked variants hardly ever get updates.

• Like 1

This phone is great but Samsung kept it really quiet about its fast charging. Between regular charging and fast charging there is only a 8-10 difference. I charged the N5 and S8+ at 5% at the same time. In 1 hour the N5 was at 89% while the S8+ was only at 66%. The should have at least given us qc3.0