Galaxy Note 8 rumors, specs, thoughts, etc

jonathanm1978

Yep, linking doesn't work lol.

hmmm @Deval I guess you are right.

anyway...

So I got two Note 8s, and one of them was capturing very good signal, but the other one was not so much. Little did i know that it was on roaming for a day and a half on verizon. Ugh. anyway now its back to Sprint 800  and Clearwire B41²

I noticed that there is no Dual Camera mode in the camera settings as well as no way to download any other camera modes either. The S8 and S8+ had the download icon. So I sent both Samsung and Sprint a tweet as to why its missing on the Note8. 

I then noticed that SamMobile tweeted about a few minutes later that Samsung is issuing its first OTA update for Note8 users that specifically deal with the camera within the next day or two. Hopefully it includes the missing download icon and dual camera mode.

TS

Hopefully the radio gets some work... In places where I have -110 from my magic box on Galaxy tab A, the note 8 is dropping to AT&T band 17 roaming. I realize B41 and tablet has more room.. But the note 5 also had decent magic box B41 reception in the same spot. Both mine and wife note 8 won't hang on to that B41 in places where note 5 held it rather well.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:54 AM, twospirits said:

I noticed that there is no Dual Camera mode in the camera settings as well as no way to download any other camera modes either. The S8 and S8+ had the download icon. So I sent both Samsung and Sprint a tweet as to why its missing on the Note8. 

I then noticed that SamMobile tweeted about a few minutes later that Samsung is issuing its first OTA update for Note8 users that specifically deal with the camera within the next day or two. Hopefully it includes the missing download icon and dual camera mode.

TS

When you launch the camera and swipe in from the left edge does the mode menu pop up? It does on mine.  And there is a + button to get more camera modes.  But there are only 3 additional ones to choose from.  But there is not a dual camera option.

53 minutes ago, marioc21 said:

My note had its software update this morning. Not sure what was in it other than security patches.

Last known software update addressed the camera. No known security patch at this time.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-8-update-prerelease-800254/amp/#ampshare=http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-8-update-prerelease-800254/

1 hour ago, marioc21 said:

My note had its software update this morning. Not sure what was in it other than security patches.

I forgot about this. Didn't check yesterday. Just checked now and yep its there, just like Sammobile said it would, but instead of  version N950USQU1AQ1 it is N950USQU1AQ15. 198.04 mb in size.

Screenshot_20170915-090706.jpg

Downloaded and installed but my hope it would have the camera update to allow modes download and it is still not there. bummer.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:46 PM, jonathanm1978 said:

By the way...I was told newer devices have an MSL of zeros. Both of my note 8 phones have the MSL of 000000

On 9/14/2017 at 4:27 PM, BlueAngel said:

Same for the S8/S8+.

On 9/14/2017 at 6:23 PM, jaybiz81 said:

Just got my Note8 today. 000000 as well.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:22 PM, S4GRU said:

My Pixel XL, Nexus 6P and Nexus 6 all have six zeroes as the MSL.

I thought only unlocked devices had the MSL 000000

1 hour ago, jefbal99 said:

I thought only unlocked devices had the MSL 000000

Mine is the same.  Maybe all the new Samsung phones are actually unlocked? My phone's model number is SM-N950U.  Could the U signify unlocked? 

That I know of the naming convention is as follows..

S = Series, Smart Series
M = I have yet to find any info on what this letter means
N = Note series
950 = Model number (whether that has a more drilldown meaning, I wouldn't know)
U = Universal (although in some outlets I read it is for Unlocked, Previous phones had this indicator as the carrier like P for Sprint)

Maybe @Deval can break it down as to what it actually all means.

TS out

26 minutes ago, twospirits said:

That I know of the naming convention is as follows..

S = Series, Smart Series
M = I have yet to find any info on what this letter means
N = Note series
950 = Model number (whether that has a more drilldown meaning, I wouldn't know)
U = Universal (although in some outlets I read it is for Unlocked, Previous phones had this indicator as the carrier like P for Sprint)

Maybe @Deval can break it down as to what it actually all means.

TS out

Huh, I always figured the S was for Samsung and M was for mobile. 

The carrier unlocked models are SM-G950U1 and G955U1 for the S8/S8+ and SM-N950U1 for the Note8 Unlocked. S8/S8+ and Note8 are technically universal in that the core base is the same, so you can flash carrier binaries on top of it to get carrier-specific features, but that does not unlock the SIM. 

For example, I have an S8 which is originally Sprint SIM locked. I got it unlocked, and flashed the unlocked binary (G950U1) on it. This allows me to use any SIM, both domestic and international with the same phone. Was just in South Korea at Samsung HQ and used Korean Telecom SIM on my device with no issues.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Deval said:

The carrier unlocked models are SM-G950U1 and G955U1 for the S8/S8+ and SM-N950U1 for the Note8 Unlocked. S8/S8+ and Note8 are technically universal in that the core base is the same, so you can flash carrier binaries on top of it to get carrier-specific features, but that does not unlock the SIM. 

For example, I have an S8 which is originally Sprint SIM locked. I got it unlocked, and flashed the unlocked binary (G950U1) on it. This allows me to use any SIM, both domestic and international with the same phone. Was just in South Korea at Samsung HQ and used Korean Telecom SIM on my device with no issues.

If you do easy pay your phone is already unlocked fyi.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

They still have the Sprint firmware, you can flash the unlocked firmware. 

I'd be happy with a better radio firmware. I still see the places where my note 5 was great on magic box reception and the note 8 doesn't pick up at all... Hopefully we get something soon.

9 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

I'd be happy with a better radio firmware. I still see the places where my note 5 was great on magic box reception and the note 8 doesn't pick up at all... Hopefully we get something soon.

Note 5 was a better rf performer imo, granted I have an S8+ but I'm sure it's damn near the same the Note 8. I'm not impressed at all, HPUE doesn't make a difference at all. May be selling this and going back to my Note 5 for the time being.