iPhone 7/7 Plus User's Thread

MacinJosh

blind a/b/x tests results please!

I can do that over the weekend. We are heading out now to pick up an official case from the Apple Store. In walking out I mentioned this post and we did a quick photo test. The 7+ had better color reproduction then the 6s plus. My photos have all been so far in fluorescent lighting which has been harsh and the sensor seems to have issues with it.

Had to edit what I thought I had written is not what I actually typed. Edited by transitwatch889

Didn't Apple include lightning to 3.5 jack?  So, you can still use your normal audiophile headphones...and i assume that you can connect DAC to it too.  Apple is not forcing you into Airpods.  Use the converter.

But as noted above in my post, DAC/amp of iPhone (at least in iP6) posted numbers rivaling the best dedicated DAC/amp.  Try your dedicated DAC...i want to hear comparison too!  

iPhone dacs have historically been good. I simply stated not wanting to get lightening headphones for a singular device and using the dac as bridge between mutiple device use . Plus having access to higher quality music formats as the iPhone doesn't support past 16bit natively! LG V20 notwithstanding.

iPhone dacs have historically been good. I simply stated not wanting to get lightening headphones for a singular device and using the dac as bridge between mutiple device use . Plus having access to higher quality music formats as the iPhone doesn't support past 16bit natively! LG V20 notwithstanding.

Then you add in audio latency and all Android products suck donkey balls in terms of audio quality.  V20 is gimmick.  As is LG B&O "module" for G5.  LG is desperate and trying to appeal to audiophiles...unfortunately for LG, not many audiophiles are falling for it.

If I actually understood how Sprint's self activation works I might know where to point the finger.

Basically I purchased a Sprint iPhone 7+ direct from Apple.

It arrived 9/26.

After turning off my old phone I powered on the new iP7+ and expected it to just self activate as iPhones usually do. Not so this time. First it asked me if xxx-yyy-zzzz is the phone number of the phone. This was accurate. It then presented be with a screen prompting me to supply my billing ZIP code and SPRINT PIN number. After I entered the info I got an error saying the activation failed.

I will spare you the gory details but for some reason the iPhone wanted the last 4 digits of my SSN instead of my Sprint PIN. This little tidbit took an hour at my Sprint store on the phone with Apple.

So where does this validation process take place? On the phone? On some server backend. If the information is incorrect who's to blame? Weird thing is I don't ever remember giving Apple my SSN. I might have given Sprint it when I first signed up 15 years ago.

From Reddit, Sprint User Forum etc. it seems this doesn't happen with all new Sprint iP7's. I wonder if only those purchased direct from Apple are affected.

Any insight appreciated.

J

I had the same problem with a replacement phone from AppleCare. You need to plug it into your computer and activate it through iTunes (edit: I just saw your post that you tried that already. Did you restore the phone as new through iTunes first? Now I'm curious what's going on with your iPhone). The second Sprint store I took the phone to did that and had it activated in five minutes. The first store had no clue. Both were corporate stores.

Here's a discussion I found on Reddit about the same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/4xmpny/strange_activation_issue_on_applecare_replacement/?st=ITM4SWC3&sh=efb21bb2

Edited by jtravers

Hows signal strength compared to androids or past iphones for the 7 plus? I havent had a iphone since the iphone 4. Currently have a g5 and think about switching back to iphone.

Yea I'm super curious how the RF of the Sprint 7 compares to the RF of the Sprint 6S.

With regard to the headphone jack or lightning port.. No matter how good the internal is, dedicated is still better! Simple fact. Bluetooth headphones are only good for working out based on the bandwidth they can push. Which I have already so not a concern. Lightening is propriety and I have multiple devices I use. Not for being locked into one singular system. I like options. Everything is debatable no device infallible.

Didn't Apple include lightning to 3.5 jack?  So, you can still use your normal audiophile headphones...and i assume that you can connect DAC to it too.  Apple is not forcing you into Airpods.  Use the converter.

Apple is screwing you guys.  The dedicated headphone jack offers the highest quality audio output, and believe it or not, the hardware still is contained inside the iPhone 7.  Apple just removed the external opening for the female plug, but you can unleash it on your own.  You iPhoners should do it.  You really should.

AJ

• Like 2

Apple is screwing you guys.  The dedicated headphone jack offers the highest quality audio output, and believe it or not, the hardware still is contained inside the iPhone 7.  Apple just removed the external opening for the female plug, but you can unleash it on your own.  You iPhoners should do it.  You really should.

AJ

I can confirm that this 100% works! I just did this to my 7 Plus. It's so nice to have the headphone jack back!!

-Anthony

I can confirm that this 100% works! I just did this to my 7 Plus. It's so nice to have the headphone jack back!!

-Anthony

Pictures please!!! I can't wait but i want to see your first!!!

Edited by MadTiger
  • Like 3

so can anyone tell me how to get the signal strength numbers on the 7? there is no physical home button to press when in the engineers screen

Carry an Android phone with you...

I heard they got rid of the signal strength in the engineers screen,I'll play around later and check though!

I'm actually carrying my n6 around to log for scp though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

so can anyone tell me how to get the signal strength numbers on the 7? there is no physical home button to press when in the engineers screen

It's the same process as before. Go to field test, hold power button to bring up the power off screen, and press and hold the force touch home button until the home screen appears. Done.

-Anthony

• Like 3

It's the same process as before. Go to field test, hold power button to bring up the power off screen, and press and hold the force touch home button until the home screen appears. Done.

-Anthony

Thanks. The first time I tried it I could not get it to do it. Got it on the third try. I am thinking I must have been adjusting the pressure on the area. Working great now.

• Like 1

My phone shipped and should be here for Friday or Saturday even though Apple says October 5th. I guess they put the ETD far out so that it gives the package more time to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the forcetouch home button. What was the reason for the change?

I'm not an iphone user but I always felt the clicky home button made the phone feel more quality - like a well made machine (or similar to a Leica - as Jobs said of the iphone 4)

I don't understand the forcetouch home button. What was the reason for the change?

I'm not an iphone user but I always felt the clicky home button made the phone feel more quality - like a well made machine (or similar to a Leica - as Jobs said of the iphone 4)

Water resistance.

Water resistance.

Actually it was a strategic move to get people used to not having a physical home button anymore because next year's iPhone 8 (or whatever it will be called) won't have any type of home button at all. It was a decision that is being used to help smooth the transition to a home button-less world.

-Anthony

• Like 2

& a reason to remove the headphone jack lol. I don't mind the change of the headphone I never used my AUX on my iPhone 6. Bluetooth Headphones major key. 

That move was only somewhat because of water resistance. It was mainly to save space inside the device so as to allow room for the larger battery and camera. Also, it was used to further Jony Ive's ultimate goal of the iPhone: to be as simplistic as possible. If he had his way, the iPhone would be nothing more than a piece of glass. Getting rid of the headphone jack so that there is only one port on the device was done for the same reason there is only one port on the MacBook: Jony Ive's vision.

-Anthony

• Like 1

No, just the opposite.  The physical travel home button is perhaps the only element of an iOS device that feels plastic and cheap.

AJ

• Like 3