Is the iPhone 6s/7 the only carrier agnostic phone that Sprint sells?

coorsleftfield

Looking for what phone I can order from Sprint, but can eventually take to any of the other 3 big carriers without missing any LTE bands .   I believe the only phones Sprint sells that are truly carrier agnostic is the iPhone but curious if there are any android options.  Last one I knew of was the Nexus 6. 

A major thing I do not like about phones such as the Samsung galaxy/note is there are carrier specific versions and historically a Sprint variant always had less resale value than an AT&T or other variant. 

• Like 1

Looking for what phone I can order from Sprint, but can eventually take to any of the other 3 big carriers without missing any LTE bands .   I believe the only phones Sprint sells that are truly carrier agnostic is the iPhone but curious if there are any android options.  Last one I knew of was the Nexus 6. 

A major thing I do not like about phones such as the Samsung galaxy/note is there are carrier specific versions and historically a Sprint variant always had less resale value than an AT&T or other variant. 

There still is the two variants between GSM/CDMA, though from looking at the Apple site for it, the listing seems that the CDMA version has everything the GSM has, plus the CDMA capabilities. Apple and every other smartphone manufacturer really ought to just sell one global version with all of the bands on it that can be used on multiple carriers. Offer a dual-sim is standard, plus it would be neat if the device could be programmed at the device level to take advantage of the dual sim by being dual carrier, sort of like Project Fi, but utilizing the dual sim carrier configuration. While I'm not sure such an idea is technically possible doing this purely on the device side, it would be great if so.

I would love a dual sim phone that I could activate on both sprint and cricket. Especially if it could be configured to use sprint as primary but fall back to cricket/Att when sprint lte is not available. That would be awesome for my usage.

• Like 1

Interesting. I wonder if this works the same for the note 7 once they quit catching fire.

The s7/7e/gn7 are all software locked based on Sim card used to activate it.

One hardware module differentiated only by software.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

According to the Unlocking page on Sprint.com (https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html)

HTC One M9

LG G Flex2

LG G4

Galaxy S6

Galaxy S6 Edge

Galaxy S7

Galaxy S7 Edge

in addition to all the iPhones since the 5s/5c

Isn't there also carrier specific firmware on these that would require a reflash to say move it to at&t and have all their features work like wifi calling ?

The s7/7e/gn7 are all software locked based on Sim card used to activate it.

One hardware module differentiated only by software.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

If you're talking about phones you can order from Sprint AND take to any carrier without any network compromises, then your only option is:

* iPhone 6S

* iPhone 7

You will still get "some" compromises with 6S since that model likely doesn't have all the CA modes supported (even on Sprint).

If you don't want any network compromises AND are willing to get the phone elsewhere, then your options grow significantly with the following:

* Google Nexus 5X

* Google Nexus 7P

Other phones listed in comment #8 will work, but likely won't have access to all LTE bands on all US carriers.

If you're talking about phones you can order from Sprint AND take to any carrier without any network compromises, then your only option is:

* iPhone 6S

* iPhone 7

You will still get "some" compromises with 6S since that model likely doesn't have all the CA modes supported (even on Sprint).

If you don't want any network compromises AND are willing to get the phone elsewhere, then your options grow significantly with the following:

* Google Nexus 5X

* Google Nexus 7P

Other phones listed in comment #8 will work, but likely won't have access to all LTE bands on all US carriers.

Also Moto X Pure Edition, and Moto G4/G4 Plus

• Like 1

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever but my guess is the CDMA version is using Qualcomm baseband and the non-CDMA version is using Intel baseband. The CDMA version is sold in the US for Sprint, VZ and in China

Apple has always had a different SKU for CDMA. Even if the physical hardware were the same anyone who ships CDMA support has to pay an extra royalty to Qualcomm, thus multiple SKUs.

At some point soon Sprint needs to drop CDMA as a requirement for new devices.

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever but my guess is the CDMA version is using Qualcomm baseband and the non-CDMA version is using Intel baseband. The CDMA version is sold in the US for Sprint, VZ and in China

Apple has always had a different SKU for CDMA. Even if the physical hardware were the same anyone who ships CDMA support has to pay an extra royalty to Qualcomm, thus multiple SKUs.

At some point soon Sprint needs to drop CDMA as a requirement for new devices.

Sprint can't drop CDMA as a requirement until they are ready to shutdown their CDMA voice network.  Every phone call on Sprint (remember they are a phone company) goes through CDMA.  Seeing as the first part of NV was to replace all the CDMA equipment with new stuff, I can't see it getting shutdown in the next 7-10 years.  Sprint's network isn't dense enough to support VoLTE, especially in the non-metro areas and urban sprawl where communities have out grown the network footprint.

Sprint can't drop CDMA as a requirement until they are ready to shutdown their CDMA voice network. Every phone call on Sprint (remember they are a phone company) goes through CDMA. Seeing as the first part of NV was to replace all the CDMA equipment with new stuff, I can't see it getting shutdown in the next 7-10 years. Sprint's network isn't dense enough to support VoLTE, especially in the non-metro areas and urban sprawl where communities have out grown the network footprint.

It could be - Sprint is making the choice to leave B26 power levels low. With B26, well optimized I have seen it eclipse the range of the CDMA1900 network (once or twice in massachussets). If all B26 sites were optimized this way, Sprint could easily deploy VoLTE.

• Like 1

It could be - Sprint is making the choice to leave B26 power levels low. With B26, well optimized I have seen it eclipse the range of the CDMA1900 network (once or twice in massachussets). If all B26 sites were optimized this way, Sprint could easily deploy VoLTE.

There are still many areas that CDMA BC10 far out reaches LTE B26, I'd love to see B26 maxed out, but I fear that the 5x5 carrier would get overloaded much too quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There are still many areas that CDMA BC10 far out reaches LTE B26, I'd love to see B26 maxed out, but I fear that the 5x5 carrier would get overloaded much too quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, if they turn B26 up to a high power level and turn on VoLTE, BC1 CDMA can be cut down to 5mhz or less. Then, B25 can be expanded to 10x10, 15x15, or greater and the power levels on B25 can also be increased. I've seen what a AT&T can do with their B2 - there are areas in the suburbs of Seattle where B2 dies when B12/B17 is at -110 or worse. If Sprint turns up their B25 to those power levels, B26 shouldn't be too burdened...