Hey, Los Angelinos, what to do in L.A.?

davidtm

I'm happy to make some suggestions, but it would help to know what your interests are.

Food truck vs. Fine dining.

Mexican wrestling vs. Art Museum.

Kids vs. No kids.

• Like 1

If you enjoy experiencing other cultures, I would head over to Olvera Street for an afternoon stroll. I've never been to a place in the US that felt like I was walking in a Mexican street market until I walked Olvera Street. It's creepy identical to actual Mexican street markets.

Catch a Dodgers game (if they are in town).  Go to the Nokia Theater across from the Convention Center and the Staples Center. Head to Universal Studio's if you've never been.  Go down to Anaheim and visit Disneyland.  Head to the Santa Monica Pier, stroll down Rodeo Drive, yelp for food.

Pink's hotdogs, Roscoe's chicken and waffles, little Tokyo, little India, Chinatown, Hollywood and Vine, Peterson Auto Museum, Natural History Museum.

There's ton's to do.

Here are things that you'll only find in LA:

The Warner Bros. VIP Tour - If you've never been on a studio lot it's a pretty good touristy thing to do.

Griffith Observatory Planetarium - Live narration of shows is a nice contrast to most planetarium shows that are prerecorded.

See a movie at the El Capitan - this is Disney's showcase theater. Live organ music, a live-pre show and movie related memorabilia set this theater apart. Plus it's a Dolby Atmos theater with laser projection.

LA beer hop - microbreweries are popping up everywhere in LA. They do the driving and you do the drinking. There are some pretty good brews to check out.

Drive the PCH. - it's California's quintessential beachfront highway. The beaches up north are less crowded.

Take an introductory training flight out of Van Nuys - there's no faster way to see SoCal with our bad traffic. Plus you'll learn the basics of flying.

Museums - LACMA, The Broad and MOCA are worth checking out for contemporary art. The Getty has a great location, but is more classical.

• Like 1

I'm not from LA, but anytime I'm in SoCal there is a mandatory visit to In-N-Out Burger. I don't know what it is about that place, but it is no doubt the best fast food I've ever had - to the point that I don't think I can classify it as fast food.....

• Like 3

If you're doing In-N-Out I suggest the LAX location. Grab a burger and sit at the park next door as planes fly close overhead.

Grand Central Market has an old LA feel to it and there's a wide variety of food.

Howlin' Rays chicken is a good spot for fried chicken.

Philippe The Original - if you like French Dip sandwiches. Every politician stops here for a photo op.

Manichi Ramen - best ramen in Little Tokyo and less crowded then the more well known place next door.

Clifton's - The food is bleh, but it's a really cool space with a giant tree in the middle of this multi floor hipster magnet.

Salt & Straw - This import from Portland has 3 LA locations. Larchmont, Venice & Studio City. Really good ice cream.

Going to be in L.A. for a week next month, and I need some suggestions on not-to-be-missed attractions or food while there.

TIA,

David

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Japan town in LA is good. The museums are good to like the science center and natural history museum. Someone mentioned the observatory and Hollywood sign which are nice. The Hollywood Hills tour is also good.

Lastly, I would try and get out of LA as soon as possible and head to things such as Santa Barbara, Solvang (a Danish town), the beaches such as Laguna Beach, San Diego, etc. I'm not a huge fan of LA because of the traffic and dirtiness but there is light at the end of the tunnel elsewhere around there.

Great. Now I'm hungry with all this food talk.

But nice thread. My niece lives out in Redondo Beach not far from LA and I plan on going out there in the near future. This thread will be surely be re-visited for places to go eat and do.

TS

Since we're sharing places to eat, these are some of my top food places in LA:

Tito's Tacos - Culver City. I could eat 5+ tacos in one sitting, and the salsa is so good! I live in Orange County now and will sometimes drive the 45 mins just to eat here.

El Cholo - original on Western between Olympic and Pico. Not a hole-in-the-wall like Tito's, but this has excellent Mexican dishes in a sit-down restaurant. I know there's also one in Santa Monica and downtown LA.

Tommy's Burgers - original on Beverly and Rampart, known for their chili cheese burgers. I've never been to any of the franchise restaurants that have been popping up, so can't vouch for how good their food is to the original...but the food at the original shack (which is actually still the real, original shack) is to die for. And don't be fooled, Beverly does not mean it's anywhere near Beverly Hills. It's actually closer to downtown LA; take the Alvarado exit off the 101 freeway.

Versailles - great Cuban food, one on Venice Blvd in West LA, and another on La Cienega near Pico

Father's Office - great gastropub off of Venice Blvd near downtown Culver City. There's also one somewhere in Santa Monica, but I've never been to that one.

I'll also +1 Philippe's, Grand Central Market, and Roscoes. In-n-Out too, but that goes without saying.

Skip In-n-out. It's just another run of the mill fast food joint. I tried them in Vegas, Phoenix, LA, and Austin and I leave disappointed everytime due to how so many west coasters hype it up. You go in expecting something great but get a regular burger and subpar fries. It's no better than any other west coast eateries such as Jack In The Box or Del Taco.

Try local restaurants instead. Don't waste your time at In-N-Out. You don't go vacationing only to eat fast food you could have back at home.

• Like 2

Skip In-n-out. It's just another run of the mill fast food joint. I tried them in Vegas, Phoenix, LA, and Austin and I leave disappointed everytime due to how so many west coasters hype it up. You go in expecting something great but get a regular burger and subpar fries. It's no better than any other west coast eateries such as Jack In The Box or Del Taco.

Try local restaurants instead. Don't waste your time at In-N-Out. You don't go vacationing only to eat fast food you could have back at home.

It's a step above McDonald's and Jack in the Box, but they're definitely overrated.  It's about equal to Whataburger here in Texas except no one here goes around and says it's the best thing ever.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update:

Just been here a couple of days, but already had some good food.

Yellow fever - Asian bowl place. I loved the Saigon bowl on noodles.

Sunny Blue for rice balls last evening.

This morning, we hit the Mar Vista farmers market and sampled some great stuff. The best was fig yogurt. Thick, rich yogurt like Wed had in Greece years ago.

More to come . . .

Another update:

Visited the Huntington Library, Museum, and Gardens - very beautiful, especially the Chinese and Japanese Gardens

Warner Bros studio tour, Korean bbq at GenWah - excellent!

Petersen Museum, Versailles (good, but wasn't as blown away as I'd hoped)

Santa Monica Pier and Promenade. Ate at Curious Palate which was amazing!

Lots to do, and the weather is perfect every day . . .

• Like 1