Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

Nrbelex

Black 32GB not-XL + protection plan ordered. Have high expectations for the device, to the point that I'll return it if it's not everything I'm hoping for, 'cuz $650 is a lot of coin to spend on a phone.

But hey, this looks like everything I like about the One A9, plus everything I like about the Nexus line, plus current-gen specs, with no upsell to a larger screen size that I don't want. So there's a chance that this will deliver on my expectations.

No, not quite right.  VZW is the only US operator that will sell the handsets directly.  The unlocked handsets sold through the Google Store will be compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and most/all major world operators.

AJ

Oh cool.  Thought I don't know why anyway would get the VZW version over the unlocked version.

Oh cool.  Thought I don't know why anyway would get the VZW version over the unlocked version.

There is no VZW version, per se.  Handsets sold through VZW will be unlocked.  Some people -- stodgy, old, stubborn people -- just prefer to purchase devices from their providers.  And VZW may charge different prices, offer different promos, etc.

AJ

It's too expensive. Google should have priced it lower than Samsung and Apples high end devices.

Both sizes are too expensive.  But I have not had a new handset in a year.  And the Pixel offerings are the only flagship caliber, unadulterated Android handsets compatible with Sprint this year.  So, there it is.  No choice but to order.

AJ

• Like 3

It's too expensive. Google should have priced it lower than Samsung and Apples high end devices.

Disappointed. You get more with the S7 and/or the iPhone 7.

With the S7 you get,

* Bigger Battery

* Wireless Charging

* SD Slot

* Better financing options.

* Water resistance

All for less than what Google is asking for. The only thing that entices me with the new Pixel is being able to mod it (root/custom ROMs) but that doesn't justify the price point for me.

• Like 1

Black 32 on the way. It's pretty much everything I've been asking for from Google for some time. The fact that we knew every spec from leaks made the announcement slightly less exciting, but still exactly what I wanted.

The only fun things we didn't know in advance:

- There is an RGB notification light.

- A ton of wires and accessories (OTG dongle?) come in the box.

- Free Daydream (maybe can sell for like $50 and recoup some of the price...).

- The supposed extent of the improvements to the camera.

Black 32 on the way. It's pretty much everything I've been asking for from Google for some time. The fact that we knew every spec from leaks make the announcement slightly less exciting, but still exactly what I wanted.

I think I missed where it said free Day Dream...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lack of front facing speakers...

Yes, you get more TouchWiz or iOS, which some people expressly do not want.

AJ

• Like 5

This would def be my next phone ....if I new for sure it will work with Sprint. So far they have partnered with Verizon, but since it's also sold unlocked, any insight of it working with Sprint?

Not only compatible but all Carrier Aggregation compatible. Post below any thoughts please..

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Edited by ttwiitch

I'll have to wait on reviews but not feeling bad about keeping my nexus and getting the iPhone this time around. Last year the 6p made me say yes! iPhone this year same response. Pixel lukewarm! Need hands on and more angles ... This is technically gen one of google and there new company direction. Loving the google wifi though I'm buying a pack of 3!

Both sizes are too expensive.  But I have not had a new handset in a year.  And the Pixel offerings are the only flagship caliber, unadulterated Android handsets compatible with Sprint this year.  So, there it is.  No choice but to order.

I predict that credit card price protection may come in handy.  Combine the significantly negative price reaction on the Interwebs with the upcoming holiday season, and I would not be the least bit surprised to see a sale with $50-150 shaved off current prices.  That happened with at least one of the Nexus handsets a year or two ago if I recall correctly.

AJ

With the S7 you get,

* Bigger Battery

* Wireless Charging

* SD Slot

* Better financing options.

* Water resistance

All for less than what Google is asking for. The only thing that entices me with the new Pixel is being able to mod it (root/custom ROMs) but that doesn't justify the price point for me.

I'm a little disappointed, specifically in regards to no wireless charging or water resistance (and of course price).

Also, I haven't seen anything to indicate that these will be open to mods, so while I do think it likely ala nexus style, you may want to wait for confirmation if that is something specific you are expecting.

Black 32 on the way. It's pretty much everything I've been asking for from Google for some time. The fact that we knew every spec from leaks made the announcement slightly less exciting, but still exactly what I wanted.

What's in the box is on the product page

pJTBs5r.png

I predict that credit card price protection may come in handy.  Combine the significantly negative price reaction on the Interwebs with the upcoming holiday season, and I would not be the least bit surprised to see a sale with $50-150 shaved off current prices.  That happened with at least one of the Nexus handsets a year or two ago if I recall correctly.

AJ

Some prior Nexus phones came down, but usually not by much at first, and probably outside the range of any price protection periods. And now that Google is switching to a premium pricing model, who knows if they'll do discounts again.

I'm a little disappointed, specifically in regards to no wireless charging or water resistance (and of course price).

Also, I haven't seen anything to indicate that these will be open to mods, so while I do think it likely ala nexus style, you may want to wait for confirmation if that is something specific you are expecting.

jcase and evleaks on twitter were both speculating that the Verizon version would be botloader locked, but the google play version would be unlocked.

Right. I was just pointing out a few of them. Most didn't come in the box with Nexus devices.

Power Adapter last year was 15W that did 3A @ 5V.  This one is 18W, so it might have support for QuickCharge, or does USB Power delivery of 2 A @ 9V.

Also means that my Nexus 6P chargers are all outdated... :(

• Like 1

What's in the box is on the product page

Are you sure there's nothing else in the box?

Come on.  What's in the box?

WhatsInTheBoxB-1428420074.gif

AJ

• Like 2

Some prior Nexus phones came down, but usually not by much at first, and probably outside the range of any price protection periods. And now that Google is switching to a premium pricing model, who knows if they'll do discounts again.

No, I definitely received a price protection credit.  I believe it was $80 in December last year for a Nexus 5X preordered immediately after the announcement event.

AJ

No, I definitely received a price protection credit.  I believe it was $80 in December last year for a Nexus 5X preordered immediately after the announcement event.

AJ

When did you buy it and how long is your price protection period? Looks to me like the drop was $30 in January (with that phone being launched at the same time last year): http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/12/deal-alert-google-drops-the-nexus-5x-price-to-349-for-16gb-399-for-32gb-in-the-us-google-store-30-off/