WWDC 2016

sbolen

Lots of stuff for Devs, but maybe some cool macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS announcments, too.

Our mobile dev lead at work snatched the only ticket our org 'won' in the lottery, so he just texted me this (of course):
qm0nLg8.jpg

Game on in 45 minutes!

So apple is opening up Siri to devs and maybe iMessage for Android? Is an Alexa competitor in the pipeline too?

I am personally creeped out by an always on concierge device in my living room...they'll all learn about my plans to take over the world!

So apple is opening up Siri to devs and maybe iMessage for Android? Is an Alexa competitor in the pipeline too?

I am personally creeped out by an always on concierge device in my living room...they'll all learn about my plans to take over the world!

Siri is being opened for devs. No mention about iMessage for Android though.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that there were possible plans for iMessage for Android.

That has been rumored for a couple years. Maybe it will still launch later this year, but Apple is still quiet about it for now.

Anyone download the beta for iOS 10 yet? If so, thoughts? Likes, dislikes, bugs?

I have the iOS 10 profile installed, have not downloaded the update yet.

I have the iOS 10 profile installed, have not downloaded the update yet.

The public beta profile? If so, the first public beta drops in July.

I'm on the beta currently. Relatively stable so far; been on it since 4 pm EST yesterday. Definitely laggy with the animations on my 6 Plus, but it is very usable. Battery life seems normal, and performance seems the same aside from the laggy animations. Basically everything works, though.

-Anthony

I'm on the beta currently. Relatively stable so far; been on it since 4 pm EST yesterday. Definitely laggy with the animations on my 6 Plus, but it is very usable. Battery life seems normal, and performance seems the same aside from the laggy animations. Basically everything works, though.

-Anthony

I'm going to try it after wiping my phone and restoring it for International SIM unlock.

So far so good, but of course like any other developer beta some apps don't work properly. In this case, my Dunkin Donuts app won't render correctly. Thankfully I have my HTC 10 for that.

• Like 1

Nope. iMessage in particular is way ahead of anything else on Android.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I used iMessage a few times on my iPad. I really wasn't impressed in anyway. Now, I dont have an iPhone either. What would be the benefit of using it? I am looking for honest input on what it does that I am missing out on, I simply don't know what I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I used iMessage a few times on my iPad. I really wasn't impressed in anyway. Now, I dont have an iPhone either. What would be the benefit of using it? I am looking for honest input on what it does that I am missing out on, I simply don't know what I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It's similar to Blackberry Messenger or Google Hangouts in that regard, just better. You can have cross platform conversations (iPad, iPhone, Mac) and share content without resorting to MMS. You also get audio and video calling using FaceTime (over the iMessage platform).

• 2 weeks later...

I use iMessage a lot, and am looking forward to the improvements.

I like the delivery/received confirmations, being able to see when the other person is typing, etc. (similar to Blackberry)  I also like that I can within the app send my current location or share it for a specified period of time with another iOS user. Handy when meeting up with friends so you don't have to keep asking where they're at.  Pictures send immediately (and I get confirmation) instead of dealing with the whims of MMS, which sucks on Sprint. iMessage's most important feature for me is being able to create and reply to messages from any of my devices. Send a message from my iPhone or iPad ,and then when I get to my desk get replies on my iMac. I'm looking forward to the weblink previews, larger emoji, etc. 

• Like 1

So now that we can delete stock apps with iOS 10, does that mean that they are updated through the app store (hopefully more frequently) rather than through a system update?

Also, does anyone know if we can delete app caches now?

I use iMessage a lot, and am looking forward to the improvements.

I like the delivery/received confirmations, being able to see when the other person is typing, etc. (similar to Blackberry)  I also like that I can within the app send my current location or share it for a specified period of time with another iOS user. Handy when meeting up with friends so you don't have to keep asking where they're at.  Pictures send immediately (and I get confirmation) instead of dealing with the whims of MMS, which sucks on Sprint. iMessage's most important feature for me is being able to create and reply to messages from any of my devices. Send a message from my iPhone or iPad ,and then when I get to my desk get replies on my iMac. I'm looking forward to the weblink previews, larger emoji, etc. 

hangouts has been able to do the same things for a couple years at least in conjunction with google voice

that said, imessage integration and simple ease of use bests android/hangouts.

If google could standardize on hangouts/gvoice and make it mandatory/default for all android devices, along with streamlining and making 'just work', they could easily have parity or even something better than imessage/facetime.

• Like 1