iPad Pro 9.7" Owners Thread

RedSpark

See: http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/ and http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

The new iPad Pro 9.7" supports LTE Advanced.

Supports 23 LTE bands

Up to 300 Mbps via LTE Advanced

It also supports LTE Band 12 and LTE Band 30.

vs.

The iPad Pro 12.9" doesn't support LTE Advanced.

Supports 20 LTE bands

Up to 150 Mbps via LTE

It doesn't support LTE Band 12 or LTE Band 30.

Purchase accordingly!

Apparently there are two models of the iPad Pro 9.7". One has an Apple SIM the other has an EMBEDDED Apple SIM.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/#ipad-pro-9-7

A1674

A1675

Question: Would the model with an Embedded Apple SIM also have a traditional removable SIM?

Reason I ask is I have NANO SIMs for Verizon and TMobile. The Apple SIM (Embedded or removable) do not support Verizon.

There is also a footnote that says the Embedded Apple SIM can be disabled when the iPad is purchased directly from certain carriers. 

Question: Is this to prevent a Verizon customer from using the Embedded SIM perhaps?

Question: Why are there two iPad Pro 9.7" Cellular model numbers? One with the Embedded Apple SIM and one with traditional Apple SIM. If I purchase directly from Apple which one will I get and am I locking myself out of Verizon if I purchase the device from Apple if I possess a working Verizon iPad Nano SIM card?

• Like 2

I'm buying one on Thursday.

(128GB Wi-Fi)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you notice this?: https://www.strategyanalytics.com/strategy-analytics/blogs/devices/handsets/handset/2016/03/21/the-biggest-announcements-at-today-s-apple-event-was-also-the-quietest

The new iPad Pro 9.7" is a dual SIM device...

One of the quieter things to come out of today’s Apple presentations for the new iPhone SE and Apple 9.7-inch iPad Pro was that the new iPad would include an embedded Apple SIM. This makes the new iPad the first non-M2M and non-wearable CE device to use a true embedded SIM

The Apple SIM has been included in previous iPad models, but this new iteration is different. The earlier Apple SIM was a physical SIM card, installed at the factory, which allowed the user to choose from multiple operators’ data plans and provision cellular service directly from their iPad. The new embedded Apple SIM does the same thing. The difference? The new embedded SIM is hardwired directly into the device and is no longer removable (although the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is a dual SIM device, meaning a second physical SIM can be installed and removed).

The new embedded SIM is hardwired directly into the device and is no longer removable

\\

I am curious how this will play out with ATT who previously would commandeer the

Apple SIM which once you used it for ATT it would not longer be usable on the other

providers (Tmobile and Sprint). The way you would get around this is either purchase

another Apple SIM (price unknown) or try to get Tmobile or Sprint to give you a 

SIM but the bottom line was your Apple SIM was bound to ATT. Tmobile and Sprint

didn't do this. You could still switch to another provider using the Apple SIM. With the

new Embedded Apple SIM I wonder if ATT will bind it only to ATT once you subscribe

to an ATT plan via the Embedded Apple SIM?

Thoughts?

So now you have a hardwired SIM in you phone, You decide to use ATT and ATT disables the ability to switch to another user. This is what they do now with the non hardwired Apple SIM. Now you are screwed and can't switch away from ATT even if you want to?

I am curious how this will play out with ATT who previously would commandeer the

Apple SIM which once you used it for ATT it would not longer be usable on the other

providers (Tmobile and Sprint). The way you would get around this is either purchase

another Apple SIM (price unknown) or try to get Tmobile or Sprint to give you a 

SIM but the bottom line was your Apple SIM was bound to ATT. Tmobile and Sprint

didn't do this. You could still switch to another provider using the Apple SIM. With the

new Embedded Apple SIM I wonder if ATT will bind it only to ATT once you subscribe

to an ATT plan via the Embedded Apple SIM?

Thoughts?

See this article, which explains rules/restrictions that each carrier puts on the embedded SIM in the iPad Pro 9.7": http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/23/explainer-alert-heres-what-the-ipad-pros-embedded-apple-sim-means-for-you/

The embedded SIM is deactivated on the Verizon version of iPad Pro. When traveling with a Verizon iPad Pro, you would need to swap out the physical SIM card for that of a global or local carrier.

If you buy the iPad Pro from AT&T stores, the embedded Apple SIM is used and is then locked for both domestic and international use. However, you can buy an iPad Pro from other channels and select AT&T from the embedded SIM and it will be unlocked for both domestic and international use.

No other carriers are locked.

Thank you.

That article did clarify things quite a bit.

FWIW I did order a iPad Pro 9.7" direct from Apple and during the ordering process I also added a $0 Verizon SIM since Verizon is not an option on the Apple SIM. My theory now is I'll be able to choose ATT or T-Mobile or Sprint via the embedded Apple SIM and if I am in a Verizon only area I can insert the Verizon SIM into the physical SIM slot of the iPad Pro 9.7".

Perhaps I can just leave the Verizon SIM in the external SIM slot all the time and have the ability to choose between the four carriers depending on where I am at the moment?

At least that's my theory.

I also assume the device is unlocked as I am purchasing it from Apple and not from a carrier.

Lots of assumptions but I guess I'll find out for sure this coming Thursday.

Thanks!

J

Update:

Inserting the Vz SIM into the iPad pro 9.7 gives me the ability to choose ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint or Vz.

The device is unlocked as I purchased it directly from Apple who isn't beholden to any carrier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...