Questions about availability of SVLTE on Sprints Network.....

I would like to be able to talk and surf the Internet at the same time but I would love to be able to get an email or pic message or be able to manage my calls when talking to someone and another call comes in. Instead for us sprint users its "I will have to hang up and call you back" everytime I say that I feel I should be closing my Moto Razr to hang up

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The two options that you have:

1. Use a VoIP app like FaceTime, Hangouts, or Whatsapp. That is an over the top voice application that uses data over the Internet to transmit voice.

2. Consider other carriers that have VoLTE enabled. The other three major carriers have VoLTE enabled.

According to those in the know, Sprint has to densify more before enabling VoLTE. After the hiccups of Network Vision, I don't think Sprint will take any chances on this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

My question is why should we have to do any work arounds? Volte should at least be an option for those who are in strong Lte areas or just don't care if they drop a call occasionally but Verizon was able to have that option implemented in there software. So why can't Sprint instead of all the BS workarounds?

Because Sprint doesn't offer VoLTE, never has. Those workarounds are personal choice.

Sprint offering VoLTE would require significant CoS and QoS work within the core and switch side, something that is in the pipeline, but not available today.

Excuse my ignorance but how was Verizon able to make the switch so easily they were cmda also?

Lots of LTE cell sites, low frequency, little to no holes in LTE blanket. Sprint is full of 3G gaps so VoLTE calls would drop as you move out of LTE coverage, further damaging Sprint's already not good reputation

• Like 3

Excuse my ignorance but how was Verizon able to make the switch so easily they were cmda also?

On a whole, Verizon network is far superior in reliability and absolute LTE coverage than sprint and its no contest.

To utilize volte as a CDMA carrier, one must have ubiquitous or near ubiquitous LTE coverage as there is no reliable handout mechanism going from LTE to CDMA.

Only one portion of "Sprints" network is ready and that is regional affiliate Shentel-land who is delaying their volte rollout until sprint itself is ready.

In addition Verizon hand opt in option of volte for network testing purposes for many months before defaulting it as active now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Yeah, sorry that was a little confusing the way I worded it. I use Hangouts for Google voice. I can send MMS via Google voice through Hangouts to non Sprint carriers but I get an error when sending to Sprint users. I have to change to send via carrier number instead in Hangouts. I should also add, I use Hangouts for SMS as well. I have not tested using Hangouts for GV and another messaging app for SMS.

e169f33340f36ccea4fe98ba967a7198.jpg

I just use Google Voice and send MMS because my phone gets a text message. Just attach the image and you are okay.

Lots of LTE cell sites, low frequency, little to no holes in LTE blanket. Sprint is full of 3G gaps so VoLTE calls would drop as you move out of LTE coverage, further damaging Sprint's already not good reputation

Also, Sprint invested in CDMA 1x Advanced technology as part of their Network Vision project, so in many ways not only is their LTE network relatively less comprehensive compared to Verizon, but because Sprint chose to update their CDMA network, they have less incentive to push calling and SMS data off of CDMA. Given their position in terms of coverage and the time and money it is going to take for them to have a dense network, they probably made the right decision FOR SPRINT.

Verizon basically build their LTE network independent of their CDMA network. I mean they may have used existing tower leases acquired for their CDMA network for some of it, but LTE got it's own backhaul, equipment, & greenfield 700Mhz/AWS spectrum. Basically, Verizon built their LTE network to replace their CDMA network. As far as Verizon is concerned, the CDMA network gets minimal CapEx. They are going to do just enough to keep it running until they completely kill it off. The PCS spectrum and Cellular spectrum will eventually get repurposed for LTE down the road. But for now, they are just going to let the CDMA network kick along until it's time to completely kill it in the next decade.

• Like 1

Also, Sprint invested in CDMA 1x Advanced technology as part of their Network Vision project, so in many ways not only is their LTE network relatively less comprehensive compared to Verizon, but because Sprint chose to update their CDMA network, they have less incentive to push calling and SMS data off of CDMA. Given their position in terms of coverage and the time and money it is going to take for them to have a dense network, they probably made the right decision FOR SPRINT.

Verizon basically build their LTE network independent of their CDMA network. I mean they may have used existing tower leases acquired for their CDMA network for some of it, but LTE got it's own backhaul, equipment, & greenfield 700Mhz/AWS spectrum. Basically, Verizon built their LTE network to replace their CDMA network. As far as Verizon is concerned, the CDMA network gets minimal CapEx. They are going to do just enough to keep it running until they completely kill it off. The PCS spectrum and Cellular spectrum will eventually get repurposed for LTE down the road. But for now, they are just going to let the CDMA network kick along until it's time to completely kill it in the next decade.

CDMA1900 is already being shut down. At least in my market.

CDMA1900 is already being shut down. At least in my market.

I'd be super shocked if CDMA1900 was going away anywhere anytime soon...

Thinning isn't the same a shut down...

Not sure thinning can happen for CDMA here either. It isn't like Sprint has the replacement any time soon.

Thinning isn't the same a shut down...

I'd be super shocked if CDMA1900 was going away anywhere anytime soon...

Not sure thinning can happen for CDMA here either. It isn't like Sprint has the replacement any time soon.

I was referring to Verizon.

I was referring to Verizon.

Even on their end I wouldn't advise it. Not a lot of handsets on VZW are default on for VoLTE yet. It will be very very interesting to see how Verizon handles this.

Even on their end I wouldn't advise it. Not a lot of handsets on VZW are default on for VoLTE yet. It will be very very interesting to see how Verizon handles this.

CDMA is still up and running on 800mhz. In downtown Seattle, as far as I can tell, all PCS has been refarmed to LTE. On the other side of Lake Washington (the suburbs), PCS CDMA is still live and there is no PCS LTE.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did like having svlte on my old note 2. But as i got newer phones my phone calls are definitely much more crisp and i would actually have that more than svlte.

I dont know much about volte and codecs but which network have the best codecs for voice in terms of voice quality and clarity because i know for sure sprint's 1xadvanced hd voice is pretty nice

Edited by sunmybun
  • Like 1

To the OP, you are quoting a almost 2 year old thread on XDA. I remember reading that post back then.

At the time there was talk on here about sprint VoLTE in the "near future." Wish I could find the posts on here but I can't. Since then I think the priorities of Sprint changed and they need to shore up their LTE coverage before even thinking of adding more things to their network.