LG G5 Rumor Thread (LG LS992)

PythonFanPA

For a smaller screen size, some of LG G5's dimensions are still bigger than the LG G4, which is disappointing.

I will make the incremental upgrade from LG G3 to the LG G4 this April and see what the LG G6 brings next year.

• Like 1

Don't like the no app drawer thing....

It'll be interesting to see how the default UI handles apps given that, but then it can easily be changed with a different launcher as well, so not really much of an issue in the end in my eyes.   The big negatives are the April or later launch and the lack of an announced price yet.  There were comments made by LG reps leading up to the full on reveal that they were ready for Samsung this year, and they obviously are in terms of the hardware...but releasing a month or later than Samsung's latest is probably going to hurt them to some extent.

• Like 1

This is my favorite aspect of the device, and a major consideration for me to purchase it. I'm a major supporter of B&O after having spent several hours in the past talking with employees of the company becoming friends with some of them over talking about a wide range of tech information, etc. A great company with very nice people who make and sell excellent products. LG made a very wise decision working with B&O on this.

This is the device that I was hoping for last year. This is a good evolution of the g3 design compared to the g4 which I didn't particularly care for. If I didn't already have my Nexus 6p I would be on this!

I had really high hopes for the G5, but I honestly don't know how I feel about it. Sure it's "cool" but it doesn't seem practical for me anyways.   :unsure:

I know the pre-production model just came out but first going from a 5.5" from my G3 to a 5.3" is not something I really like. I don't like that there isn't an app drawer. I don't like that they decreased the battery size. IDK, I think I'm with JimBob here and wait until next year and just hang on to my G3 for now. 

I also would love to know if and how you'd make a case for this with the removable battery... especially like my Otterbox Defender case.

• Like 1

Cases shouldn't be an issue - with any case and a removable battery phone you'd have to take the case off first to switch batteries, this wouldn't be any different other than where/how you're removing it.  The app drawer omission only matters if you stick with the stock UI/launcher, so that can be worked around easily.  

The screen size differential though obviously would be a subjective or personal thing.  I'm so used to the Galaxy S4's size that moving to something larger would take a little adjustment for me from the other direction.  If I decided to move to the G5, the biggest adjustment for me though would be having to carry around an extra battery - I'm not sure how someone would design and implement an extended battery case solution that works with the magic slot config vs. pulling off the back case and slotting in a larger battery that way.

Cases shouldn't be an issue - with any case and a removable battery phone you'd have to take the case off first to switch batteries, this wouldn't be any different other than where/how you're removing it. The app drawer omission only matters if you stick with the stock UI/launcher, so that can be worked around easily.

The screen size differential though obviously would be a subjective or personal thing. I'm so used to the Galaxy S4's size that moving to something larger would take a little adjustment for me from the other direction. If I decided to move to the G5, the biggest adjustment for me though would be having to carry around an extra battery - I'm not sure how someone would design and implement an extended battery case solution that works with the magic slot config vs. pulling off the back case and slotting in a larger battery that way.

Maybe making the bottom case longer, but that would just throw off users as it would move the screen up and make the phone a lot longer.

To me, this phone is a big meh. The snap off bottom case is just a gimmick and the phone looks very thick. I'm so done with Samsung and LG was the next phone I was waiting for. I guess I'm waiting for Motorola and the next Nexus to be announced this fall.

Makes you wonder why they simply said they got rid of it if its still an option! Maybe final build won't have it there at all but hopefully you keep it for those that want it. I know my mom who previously had the lg optimus G found the iPhone a lot simpler to use due to lack of app drawer. So for older folks and less technically inclined it does make sense

Maybe making the bottom case longer, but that would just throw off users as it would move the screen up and make the phone a lot longer.

Actually, now that I looked at ZeroLemon's site, they came up with this sort of solution for the S6 (Edge is about the same)...if they used the same approach with the G5 it would work and be generally similiar to what I already use daily with my GS4, the only difference being that instead of one unified 7500mAh battery that slots in the back and covered by the case, you have a 2nd external battery that plugs into the base phone with a separate side usb plug for the case battery:

8-5-Y888-S6-3500mAh-Slim-Power-Battery-C

The one unknown to me would be whether (or how) this might affect the USB-C connector aspect/benefits of the phone.

• Like 1

First Impressions article from Matthew Miller/ZDNet - received an early preview of the G4 last year and now again with the G5 this year via TMO:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/first-impressions-of-the-lg-g5-light-metal-body-unique-modular-design-wide-angle-capture/

He invites impression/testing questions and will respond in the comments it seems

• Like 1

Canadian release date is April 8th, with the added bonus of including the Cam Plus module packed in:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/First-official-LG-G5-launch-date-revealed-April-8-in-Canada_id79114

No offense to anyone interested in the Cam Plus module, but seeing as I'm going to get the LG G5 through Jump On Demand pre-order, I really don't want the Cam Plus module as an inclusive part of the package. I'd much rather have the Bang & Olufsen DAC included, which is the one of the main reasons I'm getting the device. The other being the built-in AptX-HD, giving a major boost to the Bluetooth audio quality when using an AptX-HD compatible connected device.

It'll be nice if LG gives non-carrier bound promotional packages, unlike what Samsung has done with the Galaxy S7. While the Gear VR and free year of Netflix isn't bad, I would much rather have had the Gear S2 smartwatch Verizon is offering with it. LG could make their promotions the same across all carriers, while making the promotions user desirable-specific. Meaning an inclusive package for camera enthusiasts, an inclusive package for VR enthusiasts, and an inclusive package for audio enthusiasts. Buyers of the device can choose one of the three inclusive packages for the promotion, and have it not limited to any number of initial purchases.

If LG does this, it ought to boost sales. At least, I'm hoping LG does this.