2 year subsidy phone upgrades early warning info

dkyeager

I'm pretty sure ED1500 plans bring revenue to sprint. The bigger question is how sprint gets any revenue from companies like ring plus which I'm sure adds a lot of network congestion. I have four of my old Sprint phones activated on Ring Plus and pay zero monthly charges. One of the lines even has 4GB of data a month.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this. Activated one of my old Note 4's on ringplus and it has 4.5GB's that goes up to 7.5GB's after 6 months. I have it for my son. Grant it with him being in school most of the days of the month and at home on WiFi the rest, I doubt he ever reaches that amount of data, but he needed a phone for safety reasons so I got him the cheapest option, and you can can't beat free with just keeping a balance on the account that will likely never be touched.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure ED1500 plans bring revenue to sprint. The bigger question is how sprint gets any revenue from companies like ring plus which I'm sure adds a lot of network congestion.

Of course, legacy plans bring revenue.  I can sell a $100 product for $1.  As long as I make any sales, I accrue revenue.

And RingPlus pays Sprint for network access.  Whether RingPlus gains enough revenue to cover its costs is RingPlus' problem.

AJ

• Like 1

My bigger issue with Sprint right now which is going to hurt them in the long run is that the salespeople are not even telling customers that end up getting 2 year contracts on these new plans that they're going to be hit with a $25 subsidy charge per line. I've read the fine print and the contract language and that amount and number is not in any of them. Most of the complaints on the Sprint forums is that of customers complaining that they were not informed in fine print or by the salesperson that those $25 charges were going to happen. So it seems that Sprint needs to be training their salespeople better, or it's a deliberate tactic just to get their foot in the door and hope that the majority of people don't complain about it.

No sales person is selling 2 year contracts. 1. because we didnt get paid for them in a long time. 2. We cant do them in store anymore. And after this week national retailers wont be able to either.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No sales person is selling 2 year contracts. 1. because we didnt get paid for them in a long time. 2. We cant do them in store anymore. And after this week national retailers wont be able to either.

Well take that up with your corporate stores and telesales because the sprint forums are riddled with people that are being charged it and was not told about the fee.

Instead of acknowledging the issue that does exist you just make an excuse that you can't do a 2 year contract and they basically will soon be gone. No wonder people are having issues with the sprint employees.

I want sprint to succeed but it seems if you are indeed an employee you might be part of the problem and not the solution of making them profitable.

Edited by troyd96

Well take that up with your corporate stores and telesales because the sprint forums are riddled with people that are being charged it and was not told about the fee.

Two year contracts no longer are on the menu, so to speak.  Those who go to the lengths of requesting/demanding two year contracts are responsible for informing themselves.  If not, they are to blame.  They are screwing themselves because ignorance is not an excuse.

AJ

Two year contracts no longer are on the menu, so to speak. Those who go to the lengths of requesting/demanding two year contracts are responsible for informing themselves. If not, they are to blame. They are screwing themselves because ignorance is not an excuse.

AJ

While I agree with you that someone should be an informed consumer, I disagree that the information is readily available to the average consumer. We aren't the average consumer, and the average consumer does not forage boards to figure out stuff and I don't expect them to.

From what has been told there is no fine print in any contract or website officially from sprint that says the $25 fee will be charged, so I'm not sure how the consumer is supposed to be informed of that other than by a sprint employee when they are talking to the consumer, which the employees are not doing.

Edited by troyd96

And the 2-yr contract option is now gone from Best Buy.

If you're on the ED1500 plan, you can still do 2-yr upgrades and get a phone at a discount and not have to pay the $25 subsidy fee.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

And the 2-yr contract option is now gone from Best Buy.

If you're on the ED1500 plan, you can still do 2-yr upgrades and get a phone at a discount and not have to pay the $25 subsidy fee.

I knew i should have made a purchase yesterday. Was gonna use my upgrade to get a iphone7 to sell and get a pixel

I knew i should have made a purchase yesterday. Was gonna use my upgrade to get a iphone7 to sell and get a pixel

2-yr subsidy is still available at Costco.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

2 year contract apparently is not available from Costco anymore.. less and less options now.

Sprint only will offer it to you on a reactive basis. Meaning if you call and ask for it you will get it. Just make sure you are specific that you want a 2 year subsidized phone with no change to your legacy plan.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Edited by troyd96

Sprint only will offer it to you on a reactive basis. Meaning if you call and ask for it you will get it. Just make sure you are specific that you want a 2 year subsidized phone with no change to your legacy plan.

And it's still available online when I launch into Sprint from my employer's wireless discount website.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have received word from multiple sources which have proven to be reliable in the past that the ability to purchase consumer phones with two year pricing (old contracts with phone subsidies) will end tonight or tomorrow. So if you want one, immediately get on the Sprint.com website and order one. 

I can confirm 2 year contracts on sprint.com is dead for individuals. Business accounts on grandfathered plans can still get them for now. They put it up internally last night that effective 1/22 its no longer offered on sprint.com

• Like 2

Stupid decision. Sprint is probably the least friendly BYOD carrier, so taking away purchasing options is not in their best interest.

I'm taking my 5 lines elsewhere. Sprint is no longer worth the value IMO. Subsidies were the only thing making Sprint viable, even with slow speeds. I'm going to call to see if I can buy out my contract and unlock all of my phones for domestic use before leaving.

• Like 3

Buh bye to contract subsidy.  And buh bye to anyone who pouts and leaves over its discontinuation.

AJ

• Like 4

Stupid decision. Sprint is probably the least friendly BYOD carrier, so taking away purchasing options is not in their best interest.

I'm taking my 5 lines elsewhere. Sprint is no longer worth the value IMO. Subsidies were the only thing making Sprint viable, even with slow speeds. I'm going to call to see if I can buy out my contract and unlock all of my phones for domestic use before leaving.

Yea, me too. After my existing contracts are over, I'll be going over to AT&T. I get even better discounts through my employer & AT&T is GSM, already has VoLTE, I can use international phones, and AT&T has superior wearable support. For 2 years in a row, Sprint didn't offer the LTE versions of the Samsung Gear watches which was disappointing.

• Like 1

What is CL, MBB, and EWD?

Just guessing:

CL = Corporate Liable

MBB = Mobile Broadband

EWD = Employee Wireless Discount

I'm disappointed about this news. Not quite sure what I'll do with my five lines come November when the contract is up. For me the value in the subsidy is what's kept me with sprint for over 16 years.

• Like 1

Buh bye to contract subsidy. And buh bye to anyone who pouts and leaves over its discontinuation.

AJ

You can have this attitude but I don't think it is the best one to have if you want sprint to survive. Sprint has very little advantages at this point over even T-mobile, subsides were one of them. Without that I can get plans with similar if not better coverage and possibly even cheaper on other networks if I have to BYOD, lease, or installment a phone.

In 1.5 years when my contract runs out I'll be looking at my options and will go with the cheapest one for my 2 lines whether that be sprint or somewhere else. The loyalty to sprint will be over, and it was a very long loyalty.

I think you are going to find there were a lot more people sticking with sprint for contracts than you thought, and despite how much you hate them, they do and did make sprint money.

• Like 7