2 year subsidy phone upgrades early warning info

dkyeager

The name for that attitude is called bankrupt. I help operate a 120 million a year operation for one of the largest companies on earth. And that statement alone would have gotten you fired. Every customer counts. In a connected world one angry customer, no matter how small the profit can make huge dent in your bottom line as they lampoon you on facebook and Twitter. It is quite clear many of you here don't understand business. I really hope none of the people at Sprint share your view. If they share such an anticustomer view the company has earned its reputation for poor customer service and it will not make a full turn around.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I completely agree with you.  The cost to acquire new customers is so much more than the cost to maintain loyal current customers.  Honestly that is why there is so much draw to Tmobile.  Even if you join Tmobile during a promo and later on if Tmobile has new promos (ex: 3 for $100), guess what...current customers are eligible as well.  Of course the catch for current customers on Tmobile is that they would have to give up some benefits from legacy plans to join the new plan but it gives the power to the people.  Regardless the strategy works and Tmobile is reaping the rewards.

Well they have zero revenue from me now. I jumped ship. With subsidies off the table, I stand to save a lot by dumping our family's SERO plans. The only real disadvantage is we lose the individual bills going to each user. I'm okay with that since we save money. Tmobile routinely offers deals to existing users on devices. Most of Sprint's offers exclude all but new users.

I will be there soon on Tmobile after I come back from overseas.  Finally Sprint has found something that will get me to ditch my SERO plan and of course the lack of CDMA/LTE 800 coverage in Los Angeles that is never going to happen.
  • Like 2

Even if a customer is minimally profitable, that customer may not be worth retaining.  That customer still places burdens on the resources of the business.  The opportunity costs to the business and to other customers may not be worth continuing to serve the aforementioned customer.

Some food for thought...

AJ

Do you mean like one that still wants a subsidized phone?

Even if a customer is minimally profitable, that customer may not be worth retaining.  That customer still places burdens on the resources of the business.  The opportunity costs to the business and to other customers may not be worth continuing to serve the aforementioned customer.

Some food for thought...

AJ

The name for that attitude is called bankrupt. I help operate a 120 million a year operation for one of the largest companies on earth. And that statement alone would have gotten you fired. Every customer counts. In a connected world one angry customer, no matter how small the profit can make huge dent in your bottom line as they lampoon you on facebook and Twitter. It is quite clear many of you here don't understand business. I really hope none of the people at Sprint share your view. If they share such an anticustomer view the company has earned its reputation for poor customer service and it will not make a full turn around.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Do you mean like one that still wants a subsidized phone?

I don't think there many that want a subsidized phone any more. It really isn't a good deal anymore. What most want is a way to transition out of the contracts that doesn't penalize them for being a loyal customer. Once the wholesale cost of the phone is paid, sprint doesn't stand to lose anything by allowing the customer off contract. In fact they could allow the customer off and sell them on an upgrade at retail. There by turning it into a profit situation, rather than a loss.

• Like 1

I completely agree with you. The cost to acquire new customers is so much more than the cost to maintain loyal current customers. Honestly that is why there is so much draw to Tmobile. Even if you join Tmobile during a promo and later on if Tmobile has new promos (ex: 3 for $100), guess what...current customers are eligible as well. Of course the catch for current customers on Tmobile is that they would have to give up some benefits from legacy plans to join the new plan but it gives the power to the people. Regardless the strategy works and Tmobile is reaping the rewards.

I will be there soon on Tmobile after I come back from overseas. Finally Sprint has found something that will get me to ditch my SERO plan and of course the lack of CDMA/LTE 800 coverage in Los Angeles that is never going to happen.

I've had my ups and downs with T-Mobile over the years and now finally going back to them from the excellent support they've given my mother and I on this promo plan and 20% off discount deal. In my experience and knowledge from reading other peoples' dealings, T-Mobile does great on getting the customer an excellent rate plan situation for them. The downside to T-Mobile for me is getting the device. I've learned not to bother getting a device through T-Mobile, but rather getting an unlocked device elsewhere and activating it on T-Mobile.

I'm supportive of having no contracts on devices and getting customers use to the idea of buying unlocked. I'm hoping this will get smartphone manufacturers out of the habit of limiting their phone's radio/network capabilities and just make them global. I think if T-Mobile and other carriers ease off selling devices and focusing on wireless service, the rates will continue to go down. The current T-Mobile promos are an example of where these prices may be headed, and its exciting to see as wireless becomes more accessible because of this.

I don't think there many that want a subsidized phone any more. It really isn't a good deal anymore. What most want is a way to transition out of the contracts that doesn't penalize them for being a loyal customer. Once the wholesale cost of the phone is paid, sprint doesn't stand to lose anything by allowing the customer off contract. In fact they could allow the customer off and sell them on an upgrade at retail. There by turning it into a profit situation, rather than a loss.

People that are mindful of their total 24 month cost for all options still want their contract phone and legacy plan as they tend to still be cheaper for you get top of the line phones. Especially the people that have corporate discounts on the full first line still.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint started really gaining in customer growth for the first time in a long time after Marcelo Claure more or less abandoned subsidy. I'm just saying...

Also, there are very few calculations that I can see that leave 2 year subsidies as being less expensive than 2 years of plan plus device payments. Though to be fair, if you're making money at all, you're better off just paying full price for devices up front.

It isn't hard to figure out, I can go on WhistleOut and get 2 years of service costs factored out for each of the four service providers. Three in my case since Sprint doesn't serve here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint started really gaining in customer growth for the first time in a long time after Marcelo Claure more or less abandoned subsidy. I'm just saying...

We'll see how that goes in 12 months when all of the new people signing up for the $90 unlimited family plan have their bill increase by $100.  They won't be on a contract and can cancel freely.  

• Like 3

Also, there are very few calculations that I can see that leave 2 year subsidies as being less expensive than 2 years of plan plus device payments. Though to be fair, if you're making money at all, you're better off just paying full price for devices up front.

It isn't hard to figure out, I can go on WhistleOut and get 2 years of service costs factored out for each of the four service providers. Three in my case since Sprint doesn't serve here.

I've done this before in this post but I'll do it again to show you. I have 2 lines with ED1500. Here is my breakdown for 24 months:

Two Premium Phones: $200 x 2 = $400

Primary line monthly: $110 + $10 = $120

Employer 18% discount off whole first line : - $19.80

Secondary Line: $19.99 + $10 = $29.99

Service for 24 months: $100.20 + $29.99 = $130.19 x 24 = $3124.56

Total cost = $3124.56 + $400 = $3524.56

New plan and installment comparison:

1st line: $60 existing customers

2nd line: $40 existing customers

-Employee discount as far as I know doesn't work on these new plans but even if it does it is less than ED1500 discount wise.

Service: $100 x 24 = $2400

Cost of premium Samsung Phone, since I'm an Android user and stick with Samsung normally with easy pay:

Galaxy S7: $28.96 x 24 months = $695.04 x 2 phones = $1390.08

Total cost for 24 months:

$1390.08 + $2400 = $3790.08

So as you can see new plans are more expensive over 24 months with added paying for phones in full, not to mention throttled data for certain aspects of it.

I didn't even get into that I actually like to pre-order the best and greatest (generally a Note device) that will be way more money in easy pay than the S7 currently is as well.

I know I should buy my phone outright. I have the ability to do that but why do it when easy pay is the same price over 24 months. There is no price advantage

of doing that on a brand new released flagship phone as it saves no money.

Now if Sprint is going to offer $10-15 per line per month easy pay credits to make it cheaper over 24 months (which I hear they are doing now to loyal customers) then that makes the new plans on par except the throttled data situation.

Edited by troyd96
  • Like 5

I've done this before in this post but I'll do it again to show you. I have 2 lines with ED1500. Here is my breakdown for 24 months:

-Employee discount as far as I know doesn't work on these new plans but even if it does it is less than ED1500 discount wise.

Cost of premium Samsung Phone, since I'm an Android user and stick with Samsung normally with easy pay:

So as you can see new plans are more expensive over 24 months with added paying for phones in full, not to mention throttled data for certain aspects of it.

I didn't even get into that I actually like to pre-order the best and greatest (generally a Note device) that will be way more money in easy pay than the S7 currently is as well.

I know I should buy my phone outright. I have the ability to do that but why do it when easy pay is the same price over 24 months. There is no price advantage

Now if Sprint is going to offer $10-15 per line per month easy pay credits to make it cheaper over 24 months (which I hear they are doing now to loyal customers) then that makes the new plans on par except the throttled data situation.

Not everyone has employer discount. That's a big part of how the ED1500 is still a better two year plan in your case. You also use a premium smartphone.

The people who still have employer discount should try to hang onto it.

• Like 1

Not everyone has employer discount. That's a big part of how the ED1500 is still a better two year plan in your case. You also use a premium smartphone.

The people who still have employer discount should try to hang onto it.

Agreed but I still can't get over the throttled data aspect of the whole thing. Now if they start throttling stuff on ED1500 as a side effect of throttling this new plan then it will just suck all the way around and lose one of the last few aspects of that plan that make it worth it.

I mean they already killed the subsidy phones, so I will have to do an analysis in 1.5 years time or so and see what provider, plan, phone, network fits my need for the lowest price.

Before then it was a no-brainer to stay on Sprint. New phones every 2 years cheaper than anywhere else due to the subsidy and employee discount. I could overlook spotty service (even for voice sometimes) and slow data speeds if the price was right. Now I can't do that so much.

So we shall see in 18 months or so.

Edited by troyd96
  • Like 1

Agreed but I still can't get over the throttled data aspect of the whole thing. Now if they start throttling stuff on ED1500 as a side effect of throttling this new plan then it will just suck all the way around and lose one of the last few aspects of that plan that make it worth it.

If by "throttling," you mean being depriotized after using 22GB of data in a month, my understanding is that applies to people on the ED1500 plan who have upgraded their phone since 10/15/15 (which you apparently have if you have 18 months to go on your contract). It's not specific to any particular plan. It's only under certain conditions, but I believe you could be subject to it if the conditions are met, even though you're on ED1500.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3pbyp5/sprints_new_network_management_for_unlimited_users/

• Like 1

If by "throttling," you mean being depriotized after using 22GB of data in a month, my understanding is that applies to people on the ED1500 plan who have upgraded their phone since 10/15/15 (which you apparently have if you have 18 months to go on your contract). It's not specific to any particular plan. It's only under certain conditions, but I believe you could be subject to it if the conditions are met, even though you're on ED1500.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3pbyp5/sprints_new_network_management_for_unlimited_users/

Nope I don't get anywhere near that amount of data usage.

I'm talking about the limiting of speeds and video quality they call "optimization" which is just a focus group driven synonym for throttling.

Oh Goody... I get to pay them more money if I actually want full speed everything which then once again makes the new plans more expensive than legacy plans.

Edited by troyd96
  • Like 1

We'll see how that goes in 12 months when all of the new people signing up for the $90 unlimited family plan have their bill increase by $100.  They won't be on a contract and can cancel freely.  

Many will be able to cancel freely -- and then have to pay off immediately the remaining ~$300 balance per device on their installment plans.  Maybe not so "freely" after all.

AJ

• Like 1

We'll see how that goes in 12 months when all of the new people signing up for the $90 unlimited family plan have their bill increase by $100. They won't be on a contract and can cancel freely.

This is a major issue in what is wrong with this plan and in how Sprint creates its promos. The key to a successful promo not only is to gain customers, but also to keep customers through positive loyalty developed over time. Now, some people might suggest those who end up staying with Sprint with the promo as it is, are staying through loyalty. While that could be true, it also could be that in actuality, they are staying because they're being led to feel trapped in monthly phone payments. In some situations they very well could be, unless they find another carrier willing to pay off their remaining phone payments for them, if they switch to that carrier.

People shouldn't br trapped by these promos, but be freed by them, and have the freedom to leave them, without penalty. Nor should these rates go higher after a certain time. Promos ought to be like a loving grandfather who loves you unconditionally, not some sort of thief in the night who you can hear laughing in the streets after having robbed you of your money, "HeeHeeHee, all this money, and I'm not going to deploy any more spectrum either, nor build more sites!".

That unfortunately is Sprint's reputation and why they are losing customers.

• Like 1

Unlimited freedom gets a $5 per line employer discount so subtract $240 from your total and your final price difference on both is down to almost nothing.

• Like 1

Unlimited freedom gets a $5 per line employer discount so subtract $240 from your total and your final price on both is down to almost nothing.

But, but, but her e-mails.

AJ

Nope I don't get anywhere near that amount of data usage.

I'm talking about the limiting of speeds and video quality they call "optimization" which is just a focus group driven synonym for throttling.

Oh Goody... I get to pay them more money if I actually want full speed everything which then once again makes the new plans more expensive than legacy plans.

The unlimited freedom now comes with hd streaming for free which is 1080p+, music streamibg at 1.5Mbps and gaming streaming at 8 Mbps.

Unlimited freedom gets a $5 per line employer discount so subtract $240 from your total and your final price difference on both is down to almost nothing.

Where does it say that? Since most employee discounts are by % they changed to a flat $5? Haven't seen that in any fine print.

Im not sure where externally it says it but its all over our internal info page for the plan. Ive set many people up with SDP discounts simce UF came out. The only caveat is it does not discount lines 1-5 on the $50/ 5 for $90 promo during the first year.

Where does it say that? Since most employee discounts are by % they changed to a flat $5? Haven't seen that in any fine print.

I myself was told this by the retention rep I talked to.

I'm on the bleeding edge of porting all my lines to T-mobile.  They have some sweet deals lately.  However, there may be a glimmer of hope.  Sprint.com was letting me do a 2yr contract on new line tonight.  Maybe it was just a fluke.

post-9617-0-76177800-1488609411_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm on the bleeding edge of porting all my lines to T-mobile.  They have some sweet deals lately.  However, there may be a glimmer of hope.  Sprint.com was letting me do a 2yr contract on new line tonight.  Maybe it was just a fluke.

I'd be suspicious of anything that sounds too good tobe true. Even if there are great things other are reporting receiving still are to be viewed cautiously. I can verify T-Mobile's 2 line for $100 monthly works, but there are serious issues/flaws with the 3rd line free promo they are running, which supposedly can simultaneously work with other promos. T-Mobile claims the free service matches the lowest amount of service used on whichever of the first two lines has that lowest amount of service, such as the third line free being on a 6gb plan because your second line is 6gb, even if your first line is unlimited data. Yet, if both the first line and the second line have unlimited data, then supposedly the third line ought to have unlimited data as well, since that is your lowest level of service on your account. T-Mobile alsoclaims you can use any type of device on that free third line, including the SyncUp. I was told I could use the Alcatel Link Zone on it too, but was put on the 2gb plan, rather than matching the lowest level of service on the other two lines I have, which is unlimited 4G LTE data.

Also, its March, and in one month around April 1st, there will be billing. My account still does not show the 20% T-Mobile Hookup offer I've been told I qualified and my account supposedly was verified for it. Yet, nowhere in the MyTMobile account does it say that, and if its suppose to appear in next months billing, which the details already sow without the discount appied, only thing I can think of is this some horrible April Fools Joke? Logically, that doesn't make sense due to all the lawsuits there'd be, but at this point there are quite a few too many red flags. Considering this, my opinion is to stay with Sprint.